Dark Matter

"Ah, my brother was arrested. Hmm, what else?"

Soon enough, however, it was clear by the fading light in Prithvi's eyes how differently he perceived the caller's other words. His excitement had been replaced by a distant, bored look.

"So," he began, voice devoid of emotion, "I take it that you are telling me that this Anisha ran away because you assume she means something to me?" A pesky thing that had just lost its only value? Oh, please.

"Find and deal with her as soon as possible," he went on, "Make it quick and painless as a thank-you gift for all that money she handed over to me."

She'd think they were mushrooms anyway. Breathing definition of useless, if he was being true to himself.

That reminded him - he'd have to disinfect his house from top to bottom. Couldn't have rodent smell over his new place.

"Get someone to deep clean my house. It reeks of trash," there was a pause and then, "Burn every piece of furniture, every utensil that Anisha used. Don't mess this up or you'd regret it. You know you'd regret it."

Prithvi terminated the call and set the phone down on the oak desk so that it made a soft thud, before redirecting his gaze to the uniformed man seated across from him. He was the spitting image of discomfort.

How interesting.

"Ah, DGP Ehsan Taneja," Prithvi leaned forward so that his features appeared more defined under the sole lampshade. His dull brown eyes had so much light in them, vivid in the other man's memory. "Don't be tense. You need so badly to clean the scum off our streets and I found you a transnational one, didn't I? Do you regret it? Afraid? I don't care. All you have to do is obey the law."

Prithvi retreated, chuckling in his self-assured, bemused manner. Would you look at that? The guts to be greedy and self-loathing at once.

Stupid.

Instead of wasting any more time here, Prithvi thought he'd begin work on the next plan which was the simplest really.

He had to be a good son and 'return' to India soon. 

No one could uplift a broken father more than a child would. No one could make him forget quicker.

********************************************************************************

At the same time. Reddy Mansion.

And Bhairav wanted to forget so badly, wipe out his entire memory clean with bleach if possible. The past few hours had been spent answering and making phone calls that were all centered on the sudden disgrace that had befallen him and the family.

Rajkumar, that boy, had done such a good thing! He had shocked his old man today!

"What the hell is wrong with your son?! He is hell-bent on ruining this family and that poor woman! Imagine getting married already and making a fool out of all of us! My own child, dragging my name through the mud!"

He was shouting at the woman crying on the settee. Nirali could not be consoled, weeping as her hands shakily typed out apologies to the entire guest list. They had been invited to share their joy but were met with something gross.

This sight, coupled with her lack of replies, deflated Bhairav's anger by a bit but not to the extent that he felt good enough to apologize. The stone wall that he had met in the form of Rajkumar's undeniable actions made him so mad. He buried his face in his arms, only looking up when rushed steps entered the study.

It was Choti sporting a hurried expression. She had sweat patches in pockets of her casual clothes that displayed signs of a hasty put-on.

"Dadda, I have to go over to the hospital that Manmeet is at and defuse the situation with her family. Raj's friends are with him at the police station and I will join them after with the news. Take this, mumma," she handed over a handkerchief to Nirali and rubbed her back with her other hand, "Veer has taken that woman to his countryside home and his people are keeping an eye on her, so don't worry. We will make sure that Raj gets the justice that he deserves and is released..."

"Shut up!"

Bhairav had heard and had enough. He swept everything off his desk with one swift motion, the display of anger shocking the other two women.

"Stupid girl! What justice are you talking about?! Your brother had committed a crime! He is a criminal! The Reddy heir reduced himself to a common criminal!"