Dr. Preeta Rajput

"So, is this all that I need to sign?"

"Yes, Dr. Reddy."

Rajkumar gave the single document on the table another look, feeling slightly unhappy in his heart. He had needed a document verifying some community service from his home country in order to consolidate his new position as the Chief of Pediatrics over in the UK and had written a letter to City Hospital, Mumbai, to that effect. Of course, they were really flattered to have him, even if it was for a short period of time, and he had spent this single week in India, offering telehealth services to their pediatric patients.

So, why was there only a single recommendation on the table with only a dotted line for his own signature? He didn't ask for this; Rajkumar Reddy believed that he had reached a point in his career where he only gave recommendations to others, and if there was even a need for one, he could always make a quick call to his connections in the top hospitals across the world. What he needed was a notary, a damned notary, to prove he completed the required hours, with a signature from the hospital's head. This was why he just continued working abroad after school. How did a whole hospital system make such a rookie mistake?

The nurse carefully asked, noticing the frown on his face.

"Is there any problem, doctor?"

He looked at her, then back at the document, and replied in a tone that gave no room for further negotiation.

"Is the head of the pediatric hospital around? I am not signing that."

"D-doctor, he isn't. He went on his sabbatical last week."

Rajkumar cursed under his breath and rubbed the bridge of his nose. It wasn't worth getting angry at a nurse who had nothing to do with this.

"Okay. You know what? Email him to page me."

"Y-yes..."

"You know what?" he waved her off, " I will do it myself. You may leave, and oh," he pointed at the document, "take this with you and trash it for me."

"Y-yes doctor."

"Thank you."

He watched her hurry out of the office as if scared of being in the same space with him, and his bad mood worsened further. Her conduct was so unprofessional it slighted him. What type of nurse walks so fast on hospital grounds, in a non-emergency situation, and from a doctor, who was supposed to be her senior partner? Indian hospitals were losing brownie points in his book every day.

Rajkumar walked out of the office and down the hallway to leave, when he spotted a familiar back draped in a purple saree in the staff mess across. He was pleasantly surprised to see her and made his way over to her table, where she sat perusing a book.

"Preeta?"

The woman in question looked up when she heard her name, but her face turned into one also filled with a pleasant surprise when she saw him.

"Rajkumar?!"

He laughed at the incredulity in her tone and motioned to the chair next to hers.

"Can I sit? I hope I am not intruding." he didn't really want to be a bother.

"Oh no please, sit down, Rajkumar. We haven't seen each other since..."

"Since our graduation from medical college."

She laughed.

"You and your perfect memory. No wonder you always took the top position."

Rajkumar chuckled at her helpless expression.

"You flatter me too much, Preeta. So," he asked the question he was curious about, "what are you doing here? You work here now?"

"Yes." she sipped her coffee, "I am actually the head of the geriatric department."

"Congratulations, Preeta." he remarked, really happy for her. It was nice to see an old friend do well.

"Thank you, Rajkumar. And, what are you doing here actually? As far as I know," her eyes narrowed, "the Rajkumar Reddy I know would rather die than be caught working in an Indian hospital."

His reply caused her to laugh.

"Oh, that Rajkumar that you know is still here, my friend." he added, "I am actually here to collect a notary from your colleague in Pediatrics, Doctor Yash. I need it to consolidate my position as the new Chief of Pediatrics at Royal Hospital in the UK."

Preeta placed her coffee on the table, appreciation on her face.

"Wow, Rajkumar. You have really outdone yourself. Congratulations."

He took the praise in good stride. There really was nothing like sincere words and he cherished them like gold even more ever since he became an adult and was fully aware of how dark the world was.

"Thank you, Preeta."

"You are welcome. So, have you gotten it?"

At her question, his good mood was completely wiped off.

"Your colleague," he bit hard on the words, "decided that a flimsy piece of paper was good enough to replace a notary. And then, he went off for his sabbatical."

Preeta frowned at what Rajkumar was telling her. How could Doctor Yash be so irresponsible? His actions could cost a fellow doctor a deserving position. She took another sip of her coffee before speaking to her friend.

"I have some unfilled pre-stamped notaries in my office. I can fill it in for you, instead, if that helps."

Rajkumar gratefully grabbed her hand.

"Oh goodness, Preeta. Thank you, really. You are a lifesaver and I owe you one."

She smiled and texted her secretary to bring the folder containing the notaries from her desk. When she had clicked send, she looked up to find Rajkumar looking at her.

"What is it?"

"If I may ask, are you married or seeing anyone? You know I have a friend who is single. He's great too." He was really ashamed to do this, but he suddenly recalled that Rishabh had developed a minor crush on Preeta's college yearbook photo the year he came back for Choti's wedding. It didn't seem like a bad idea to try matching them together.

Unfortunately, the ship was doomed to fail before it sailed. Preeta waved him off.

"Sorry to burst your bubble Rajkumar, but" she pointed to a tiny tattoo on her middle finger, "this is me."

The tattoo spelled the words 'non-marriageist'. Given its size and position on her body, it was hard for Rajkumar to have noticed it earlier, especially when her hands had been curled around her coffee cup. He had to say, it was surprising.

"Wow. This is a surprise."

"Yeah, I know. I mean Rajkumar, divorce rates are so high nowadays, so why even bother?" she was obviously excited about this topic, "Marriage is a scam..."

"Whoa, hold it there you walking ball of negative," he chuckled, "I am very much interested in getting married, thank you."

As he said those words, a hand reached for and felt the hard, rectangular shape of the object in his jacket pocket. It was Manmeet Chatterjee's invite which he was still yet to give her.

But right now, it seemed to mean something so much more.