Collectives

The next afternoon.

"So...Manmeet would be staying at the mansion until your return?"

"Yes."

"And the wedding will happen after?"

Rajkumar nodded and took another sip of spiced mocha. The subtlety of cardamom and nutmeg enriched the luxurious mouthfeel of creamy steamed milk and heavy chocolatey goodness. It glided over his tongue and slid his palate closer to pulsation. 

Haa. This was an experience that spoke to the soul. 

"I am impressed, Choti. This place has all the good stuff." He said while stirring the garnished froth into the dark, thick liquid in his mug with a spoon. "I can't believe I am just getting to know about this place. Look at you with such great taste."

Choti clicked her tongue.

"Tch. You bastard, is that how you talk to your elder sister?"

"Can you do anything about it?"

"Oh, gosh. I just want to wipe that smug look off your face."

"Just admit that you are jealous." he licked his spoon before going on, "By the way, you'd help with our outfits right? We decided on a simple court wedding. You know all the issues we'd have to deal with otherwise."

"Yeah, I get it. And of course, I would...hold on a second. Let me take this."

She swiped the green answer icon and pressed the now-silent iPhone to her ear.

"Golu, is there any problem?"

There was a pause as she listened, ending with her response. Choti sounded pleased.

"Oh, that's not an issue. Just make sure they don't exert themselves too much, okay?"

Then another pause. A response in tow.

"I hear what you are saying. Just make sure to be careful. Bye."

She immediately terminated the call.

"So you were saying...why are you looking at me like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like that with your eyebrows raised?"

"Oh, you mean this." Rajkumar chuckled and placed his mug down, "I'm just surprised at your changes."

"What changes?"

"Hmm. Let me see," he raised a finger, "You are nice to your assistant," then another, "And you have decent taste. I would never have imagined."

Choti scoffed.

"Oh please. I know that's not what you really want to say. Out with it."

"Self-conscious much?"

The hand that reached out for his mug paused mid-way when she said yes. Rajkumar had been expecting yet another banter and his sister's honesty threw him off balance. He took that this was another new addition to the list.

He brought back the hand and made a steeple with his fingers, chin support of some sort. Rajkumar's charcoal eyes stared into Choti's olive ones. Hard.

"You allowed Kevi to keep contact with them?"

She shrugged. "They are her siblings. Should I have not?"

"Half-siblings, Choti. We know more than anyone about that rollercoaster ride. We know how ugly it gets."

There was silence after, his words sinking in. Her reaction thereafter was unexpected, the latest in a row. Rajkumar thought he was hallucinating.

"...You are smiling? Why?" Had he said anything funny?