Prithvi

That night

Prithvi took another sip only to place the teacup back on the tray. It was already empty, he hadn't noticed. Then again, he couldn't be blamed for drifting off. So many crazy things happened today.

Bhairav's voice over the phone sounded rather subdued when he called earlier in the day. It put him on the edge and Prithvi didn't like that. He didn't like when there was something that he didn't know. The conversation was a positive one, Bhairav had finally agreed to sponsor a business venture abroad that he had earlier refused not to do. 

Prithvi should have been over the moon by now, but he wasn't. Was sponsoring the venture at this time meaningful? Did Bhairav suspect that he had any involvement with whatever had happened to Choti? Was this him trying to send him away into some sort of exile? He leaves and is prevented from coming back, that kind of thing?

Prithvi irritatedly tugged at his tie until it came loose before he threw it unto the sofa. He had been driving in from an unsuccessful business meeting when he received Bhairav's call. Something that was meant to be a morale boost had him giddy, anxious that he was exposed, that the grief in his father's voice had more to do with him than with Choti.

It scared him. There was something about his father looking at him differently that made him afraid. In all honesty, if there was something that Prithvi was assured of and even more over the years, it was Bhairav's affection. Even though he complained of the blatant bias towards his youngest half-sibling, he was well aware that he had a place in the man's heart. Was he going to lose all that?

Unable to keep calm, Prithvi stood and walked over to the bar, effectively breaking his self-imposed alcohol ban. There was no ban that could stop him from drinking away his anxiety. He took a can of beer from the cooler, a lager, and popped it open before downing some. It worked wonders for him and Prithvi could actually feel himself relax.

Until he couldn't.

His phone rang and a glance at the caller ID informed him that it was an unfamiliar number. Perhaps, another come to beg for something? Ah. Thoughts of listening to the woes of a lowlife and a lager combo already had him de-stressed. 

Prithvi carelessly picked up the call. The voice that he heard next shocked the living daylights out of him. He was shredded.

"...Umm, hello Prithvi." The caller was clearly as uncomfortable as he was. Prithvi had set his can down, head still in a daze, wondering if he was hearing things. Because...wtf?

"Prithvi?" The caller did so after getting no response. The person being called had a sluggish expression as he answered the best that he could. He was feeling so complicated at the moment.

"...Rajkumar?"

"Yes, it is me. Glad you still remember my voice."

Prithvi wanted to curse. Could he not? That voice came with a face that gave him nightmares. He would have been rude, considering that he didn't have to be polite with his half-sibling, but the other man asked a shocking question.

"...How are you?"

"..."

"Prithvi?"

"I'm fine?" How else could he answer that?

"Well, uh, I just want to thank you for helping us out with Mahesh."

"No need. Choti is also my sister."

"...I also heard Papaji is sponsoring your latest business venture. Congratulations."

Prithvi gritted his teeth. He didn't like the way those words sounded one bit.