A Reddy morning

Rajkumar flexed his fingers that had gone numb. This action didn't stop him from talking seriously to the other person on the call, his free right hand pausing to take notes on his tablet when he was listening to what the other person was saying. Anyone that was familiar with languages would know that he was speaking fluent French at this time, his words laced with annoyance.

"Bloody hell Patrick, she doesn't need those people around her right now."

Pause.

"So what you are telling me is that the service worker approved the visit? Without consulting me first, her doctor? Tell me this is a joke."

Another pause. As he listened, Rajkumar sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. It was obvious that he was pissed with all that he was hearing.

"Look Patrick." he said when it was his turn, "who would take the responsibility if things go wrong? This is going to set all our work back to square one."

The next reply seemed to have greatly upset him and he didn't even bother to soften his tone.

"Now, look. I am going to hold you responsible if Chrissy relapses. You are exposing her to the trauma, do you hear me? I don't want that man anywhere near her and that's final or get ready to face a lawsuit from the state."

Short pause. The response this time made Rajkumar laugh. It was harsh and unpleasant to anyone that heard it.

"I can't sue you? Why not? In my opinion, you are abetting abuse. Got it? Have a nice day."

Rajkumar flung his tablet to the other end of the couch and positioned his glasses atop his head since he had no plans to take more notes. It was obvious that he was in a bad mood.

"Uncle?" A child spoke up from the dining table, her face filled with worry, "All okay?"

He gave Shruti a small smile, standing up to walk over to her. And when he had done that, Rajkumar sat down beside her and ruffled her hair.

"Of course, baby. It's just some useless things." They are pissing uncle off real bad. But he didn't mention that in front of the child.

"Sorry." she hesitated digging into her sandwich, "Want some?"

"No, baby, but thanks anyways. Uncle is grateful."

Suddenly, a high-pitched voice sounded from the door.

"My dear Lord. Rajkumar Reddy, can you stop bullying my daughter? There is so much food for you there at the table."

He rolled his eyes at Choti's antics, wondering with which eyes she saw him bullying Shruti, but didn't stop the girl from running over happily to hug her step-mom.

"Mommy!"

"My sweet Shruti!" Choti picked her up and spun her, earning squeals of delight, before settling her down back on the ground, "Where are your brother and sister?"

At that question, the girl looked aggrieved.

"Mahesh and Kevina went with the driver to the market when I was sleeping. They didn't wake me up."

"No, no. How could they do such a thing?" she whispered to Shruti, reaching for the handkerchief in her pocket to wipe the tears that were now spilling across the girl's face, "How about mommy makes it up to you? Now, don't cry honey."

"H-how?"

Choti lowered her voice even more as if telling a secret. "Your father is in town."

The girl's face immediately brightened.