Newest father in town

Even as he spoke, Rajkumar didn't hold off on perusing the file before him one more time. The pages had his detailed observations and recommendations for Sunshine's treatment written in, along with an attached note for the police personnel. He also didn't hold back on his request for another social worker on the team, citing the last one's unprofessional conduct. Goodness, just recalling her actions earlier greatly upset him. But Rajkumar never liked to aggrieve himself. The call he had just gotten off a few minutes ago was enough to place her in danger of getting her license revoked and at best, preventing her from getting another job, at least in London, which he was sure made it hard to get it anywhere else. London wasn't made up of just two houses and a church, damn. Simply put, Rajkumar had just killed that woman's career.

Ah. He could have done more if it was in India, or rather, Papaji would have done more. But here was in Europe where the Reddys couldn't reach, and that made it a whole lot more rewarding. Rajkumar believed that situations like these helped him ensure that his perspective was still in place and kept him grounded. Yeah.

"Anita, take this and hand it over to Dr. Grisham." he handed it over to the waiting nurse, "Let him ensure that the X-rays and blood tests for Sunshine come back before prescribing any sort of medication. We want to stay clear of them for now, just in case she had been drugged in the past."

"Yes, doctor."

"And she seems to crave sweets. Make sure she is given some, along with proper meals, but don't forget to be moderate. Moderation is key." It was best not to be too strict, especially with her circumstances.

"Yes, doctor. Doctor?"

"Yes?" Was there something else?

"The police had requested if they could interrogate her while she is here. Would that be okay?"

Rajkumar couldn't help frowning at her question. It was valid, so valid that it irritated him. Given a chance, he'd want Sunshine to heal far away from the abuser and gain new experiences enough to invalidate old ones, but he couldn't forget that they were also dealing with a criminal here, who could go on to hurt others, and she might have to face some trauma in questioning. It was such a double burden.

He nodded yes.

"That's fine but make sure that she isn't left alone with them. I don't care what they say, a nurse or social worker has to be in there with her, is that clear?"

"Yes, doctor."

"They shouldn't hesitate to get the police out of there if it comes down to it, understood? She comes first." They were the ones always acting up. Such assholes they were.

"Yes, doctor."

"Good. You can leave now. And please, call in my secretary. Thank you." He didn't forget to thank her. Rajkumar always believed in treating his junior colleagues well, so far they were professional, and everyone was aware of this by now.

He watched Anita nod and walk out, closing the door behind her, and then, he glanced at the clock on his desk, only to have to look away soon when his secretary, a Korean-American woman, came in.

"Good afternoon, doctor."

He nodded in response.

"Good afternoon, Kim. Do I have any other patients scheduled for today?"

She quickly scanned the tablet in hand before replying, which caused him to frown.

"You have a patient at...oh, she canceled this morning. So you have no patients today. Sorry, doctor."

Rajkumar frowned even deeper at this.

"Kim?"

"Y-yes, doctor?" She was well aware that she had just done something wrong. The doctor was strict in the standards that he held his staff to.