[1] the rag dolls

rag doll --- aerosmith

[tw: mentions of SA and heavy drug usage]

"Shit." JJ snapped at herself as she dropped one of the amps for her bands' show tonight. 

"JJ, you alright?" Her roommate and best friend stood in her doorway. 

"Yeah, sorry."

Maggie Greene leaned against the doorframe, you ready for tonight?"

The Rag Dolls: live! at Marco's Pub & Grill

JJ didn't look up from putting her red and white strat electric guitar in its case, "yeah."

"What's wrong with you? Usually by this point before a show, you're pregaming and trying to decide what outfit makes your boobs look the best."

"Nothing," JJ sighed, "it's stupid."

"I'm sure you've said stupider." Maggie lightened the mood before actually becoming somewhat serious, "what's up?"

"Today's my nephew's birthday, and instead of joining them, I'm playing in some rusted bar thinking I'm actually doing something with my life." JJ scoffed at herself.

"Still haven't heard anything from them?"

JJ shook her head, sighing, "I mean, ultimately, I was the one who cut them off. My brother never would've had the guts to do it, so I did it for him."

"Because of the whole freshman year incident?" Maggie asked causing JJ to nod. "That was two and a half years ago. You've definitely grown up since then. Plus, what you did wasn't even that bad. My dad even said that, and you know how judge-y he is."

"Yeah, yeah."

"He's planning on being at the show tonight, you know. Beth and Jimmy too."

"They gonna try to convince me to come for spring break?"

"I'm sure he will." Maggie chuckled, "But he means it when he offers. Surprisingly, he likes you."

JJ smiled, thinking of how Maggie's family had become hers too. She spent almost every holiday there. Hershel had taken in JJ as one of her own. "Only-"

Maggie's phone buzzed, cutting JJ off, "Speaking of..." She went in the other room to answer it, leaving JJ to finish packing the band's gear. 

Hershel didn't always like JJ. She was the bad influence who lived out of her car and played music on the side of the street. Not to mention her fashion sense nearly gave him heart failure the first time she showed up to the family dinner in a red tank top that fell a bit too low, black jean shorts that came up a bit too high, revealing too much in the back, fishnets that complimented her shorts and the best part about her fit, her bright red, heeled boots. 

It wasn't until JJ basically saved Maggie from a douche in a bar that Hershel started to accept the girl. And then, from then on, she became an honorary Greene. 

JJ stood up and went into the living room where Maggie was sitting on the couch with her arms wrapped around herself. "Mags, are you okay?" She sat next to her friend. 

Maggie shook her head, "it's my mom and Shawn. They're sick, and the doctors have no idea what's wrong with them or how to treat it. My dad thinks it's that disease that's been all over the news."

JJ wrapped her arm around Maggie's neck, "I'm so sorry."

"It'll be fine. I just gotta keep faith, you know?" Maggie used her hand to wipe the few tears on her cheek, "we better get going."