[20] i ain't a judas

judas --- lady gaga

♮♮♮
[POV]

JJ sat on the ground of the second level, letting her legs dangle over the side. She watched as the group bickered back and forth about what to do. 

"We're not leaving."

"We can't stay here." Hershel argued Rick. 

Maggie stepped in, "what if there's another sniper? A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds."

"We can't go outside." Beth acknowledged.

"Not in the daylight." Carol commented. 

Glenn huffed, "If Rick says we're not running, we're not running."

"No, better to live like rats." Merle leaned up against the cell block door. 

Rick turned, "you got a better idea?"

"Yeah, we should've slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day. But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now."

"We ain't scared of that prick." Daryl told his brother, pacing the second level. 

"Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place? Shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to."

Maggie fiddled her hands uncomfortably, "let's put him in the other cell block."

"No, he's got a point." Daryl mentioned. 

"This is all you. You started this." Maggie snapped. 

JJ huffed, "what's the difference whose fault it is? What the hell are we gonna do?"

"I said we should leave." Hershel insisted again. "Now, Axel's dead. We can't just sit here." Rick began to walk off, infuriating Hershel. "Get back here! You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy, now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So, get your head clear and do something."

♮♮♮
[JJ]

I was shocked when Hershel raised his voice. I don't think anybody expected it. Beth and I made eye contact and gave each other the "oh, shit" face. The only other time I'd ever heard him yell like that was when he found Maggie's bottle of Fireball hidden under her bed. Even then, he didn't yell like he just had then. 

Rick walked out, and Carl followed but they weren't gone for long. My brother had a new attitude when he came back in. Kinda like when the teacher would take you into the hall to tell you if you misbehaved one more time, they'd call your parents. Lucky for me, growing up, our parents didn't give two shits what I did. Rick, on the other hand, dad was a lot stricter with him. 

He tossed the keys to Maggie, "take watch. Eyes open, head down. Field's filled with walkers. I didn't see any snipers out there, but we'll keep Maggie on watch."

"I can take the guard tower." I suggested. "It'll be better if we're both on watch."

Daryl nodded, "I can go up too, take out half them walkers, give these guys a chance to fix the fence."

"Or use some of the cars to put the bus in place." Michonne proposed.

"We can't access the field without burning through our bullets." Hershel pointed out. 

Glenn huffed, "so, we're trapped in here. There's barely any food or ammo."

"Been here before. We'll be all right." Daryl shrugged.