[64] the first day

take me to church --- hozier

♮♮♮
[POV]

JJ stared at the green pill inside the bag that Eugene had handed her the previous night. She did what she promised Eugene- she was giving it some thought.

It was the day that Negan was taking Sasha back to Alexandria, and he expected JJ to go with. JJ already felt ill, but she had a sick feeling about what Negan would do to the people of Alexandria.

JJ walked with Eugene and Sasha out to the loading dock.

"A couple hours to get there, right?" Sasha questioned.

"At least. Might be a circuitous and janky route. With what they're planning, they could be watching the roads."

"What they're planning."

"That's right."

JJ handed over an iPod and earbuds that had been keeping her company during her time at the Sanctuary. "Here. Figured this could help for the ride. It's got a few good songs. Eugene got it for me."

"Though I'm a selfish coward, I do tend to think of other people on occasion." Eugene told Sasha, "Given that this might be our final conversation, I truly wish I measured up."

"You still can, Eugene. I'm not giving up. Not on you." Sasha warmly smiled, turning to JJ next, "Not on you, either."

Sasha pulled JJ into a final hug.

"I'll meet you on the other side." JJ mumbled into the hug.

"It better be years from now."

JJ pulled away as Sasha squeezed her shoulder.

♮♮♮

Negan was walking out as JJ was walking in.

"Be ready to move out in thirty."

She nodded, going upstairs to the bathroom, pulling out the Ziplock bag.

JJ stared at herself in the mirror, breathing heavily. Hesitantly pulling out one of the water bottles from Negan's private stash, she undid the Ziplock bag and poured the capsule out into her hand.

Her hand was unsteady. She was nervous and unsure. But she was sure that she didn't want to live in a world where Negan won. She couldn't take any more of the Sanctuary.

Without another thought, she threw the pill to the back of her throat, washing it down with a sip of water. Eugene had told her it would take 40 to 50 minutes for it to fall into effect.

So, JJ laid down. Looking up at the ceiling, she began to doze off into a feverish dream state, similar to when she had been sick back at the prison.

♮♮♮
[JJ]

I never thought that loving a prison was possible. But I was wrong.

I sat at the top of the guard tower, letting my legs dangle over the side. The view was great. The sun would hit the green field just right to where it looked like it was glowing. The dew would shine like diamonds in the beams.

And you could see everything... and everyone. The kids playing in the field, the adults working hard at their newly assigned duties, the line of tables for people to be able to eat good, filling meals at...life was good.

The door opened behind me, and Daryl walked out, sitting next to me.

"Got ya something. On the run today."