[8] triggerfinger

wanted dead or alive --- bon jovi

♮♮♮

[JJ]

I stared at Tony. I had just shot somebody. The worst part was, I was in shock, but I wasn't upset. I mean, I took someone's life and didn't even get teary-eyed. But if I hadn't, if I hadn't done what I had to do, he might've shot one of us first. He could've shot my brother, or Hershel, or Glen or even me. He wasn't any better than the last one I got rid of in a bar. They were all the same...a bunch of scumbags. 

JJ: 2--men: 0. 

"Holy shit." Glenn nervously breathed. 

"You guys all right?" I asked. 

"Yeah." 

"Mr. G?" Hershel said nothing but instead gave a slow nod. 

I looked to Rick next. 

"You didn't have to do that. I had it handled."

"If I hadn't, he would've shot you first. I just...had your back."

Rick gave a nod of appreciation. 

"Let's head back." Hershel suggested. 

The three rummaged lightly through the two men's belongings as I peered out the window. "Guys, cars. Get down."

Our backs were against the wall, and we could hear everything being said. 

"Dave? Tony? They said over here?" A man asked. 

Another answered, "Yeah."

"I'm telling you, man, I heard shots."

"I saw roamers two streets over. Might be more around here."

"It's hot. We gotta get out of here."

We saw the shadow of one of the men come close to the door. "Dave! Tony!"

"Shut up, you idiot! You wanna attract 'em? Just stick close. We're gonna find 'em."

There was another voice, "dude, he said to stay close."

I couldn't tell how many were out there, but we definitely had the downside of the situation. Both Rick and I held our weapons at the ready, prepared to do what we had to in order to make it out.

Rick looked out the window and crouched in front of Glenn, Hershel and me. "Why won't they leave?" Glenn asked. 

"Would you?" I commented, "We can't sit here any longer. I'm getting a cramp in my foot."

Rick ignored me, looking around, "let's head out the back and make a run to the car."

As soon as we stood up, there were gunshots, and we heard the men again. "Roamers. I nailed 'em. They disappeared but their car's still there."

"I cleared those buildings. You guys get this one?"

They were talking about the bar. Shit.

"No."

"Me neither."

"We're looking for Dave and Tony and no one checks the damn bar?" 

Rick and I heard the footsteps approaching and got in front of the doors to push it shut when they tried to open. 

"Someone pushed it shut. There's someone in there."

"Yo, someone in there?" One of them shouted. "Yo, if someone's in there, we don't want no trouble. We're just looking for our friends." They quietly began talking about rushing the door. "We don't want any trouble. We're just looking for our friends. If something happened, tell us. This place is crawling with corpses. If you can help us not get killed, I'd appreciate it."