[38] them

way down we go --- kaleo

♮♮♮
[JJ]

The group wasn't the same. We were broken with no reason to keep going. It seemed like all hope had been lost, and the only glimmer of it we had left was Judith. 

On the last run, Tyreese had gotten bitten. Losing him and Beth back-to-back...it made bad things worse. My mind was occupied by the days back at the house in the woods. 

I tried to remember only the good parts from it. The happy memories with Lizzie, Mika, Tyreese, Carol, Judith and me. But they quickly turned dark when I thought of how half of the ones who lived there had met a brutal end. 

The group split up. Part of us went north, part of us went south, east and west. I decided that I would go off with Carol. 

As we walked through the woods, I mostly listened to her talk about how we needed to find supplies fast. Then, when she stopped repeating herself about how we were in dire need of essentials, she said something that really got my attention. 

"I'm worried about Daryl." She continued trudging through the maze of trees, careful of where she stepped. "He won't drink, he's only talked to Rick a handful of times...he hasn't mourned Beth."

I nodded, "have we really had time? We've been so focused on not dying, I think we've forgotten who already has." My mind went to the thought of Beth and Tyreese. Both too kind for this world. 

"I miss him." Carol stated. "Tyreese. He'd fought so hard."

"I miss all of them. Tyreese, Lizzie, Mika..." My bottom lip quivered, "Beth." 

Carol kept walking, "I think she saved my life."

"She for sure saved mine." I followed, "If it wasn't for her, I probably would've never gotten off the streets."

We soon got back to why the conversation started, "Think she saved Daryl's life too. He won't let me help him, JJ."

Carol stopped and looked back at me, so I did too, "he won't even look at me, so not like I'd be much help."

"It's probably cause he's afraid of losing you too."

I shook my head, "I'm sure he'll be fine. He just...needs time." I stood there for a few more seconds before I started leading the way back, "Come on. We're not gonna find anything."

Maggie, Daryl and Sasha got back after a day and a half. Maggie barely spoke to me. And like I told Carol, Daryl...he wouldn't even look at me. We hadn't talked once since before they left the church and I decided to go to DC.

We'd decided to continue to DC, even if there wasn't a cure. Eugene was most likely right- there would supplies, maybe even a safe shelter there. It wasn't enough to keep the faith of the group up, though.

The van came to a stop. "We're out. Just like the other one." Abraham informed. 

"Then we walk." Rick stepped out, everyone following. 

We walked mostly in silence. A few conversations were had here and there. Daryl and Carol had gone off into the woods, Maggie had snapped at Gabriel and tension between Sasha and Michonne started. 

When the walkers started to close in, we used the bridge to our advantage. We'd dodge them as soon as they got close enough to where they'd fall. That was, until Sasha took the plan into her own hands and started taking out the walkers with hand-to-hand.

"Plan just got dicked." Abraham said, swinging at a walker. 

I was taking out as many walkers as I could, but they just kept coming, and didn't stop. While I was taking my knife at one, another tried to bite my arm like a freaking corn on the cob. Luckily, Daryl had come back in the nick of time to take it out for me.