[7] nebraska

live and let die --- guns n' roses

It was quiet after. The shock was evident to everyone. Looks were shared throughout the group. 

"Don't look. Don't look." Daryl helped Carol off the ground. She pushed him off and bolted for the house. 

Beth was sobbing as she walked over to kneel next to one of the bodies. Rick tried to stop her, but she pushed past him.  "Ma." Apparently, we missed that walker. It grabbed Beth and it took all of the group to pull Beth away and end the walker. 

"We've been out combing these woods looking for her and she was in there all along?" Shane asked as Rick, Glenn and JJ followed the Greene's up to their farmhouse. "You knew."

"Leave us alone." Maggie snapped. 

"Hey, Shane, just stop man."

"Get your hands off me." He pulled away from Rick. "You knew, and you kept it from us."

"I didn't know." Hershel's voice cracked. 

"That's bullshit. I think y'all knew."

Maggie turned and shouted, "We didn't know!"

"Why was she there?!"

"Otis put those people in the barn. Maybe he found her and put her in there before he was killed." Hershel justified. 

Shane scoffed, "you expect me to believe that? Do I look like an idiot?"

Rick, once again, tried to stop him. 

"I don't care what you believe!" Hershel began to fight back. 

"Everybody just calm down." Rick put his arms out. 

"Get him off my land!"

Shane made a threatening step toward Hershel and Maggie slapped his face. "Hey, don't touch him! Haven't you done enough?"

"I mean it...off my land." Hershel got the last word before him and his family went inside.

There was a second of silence before Rick asked Shane, "What are you doing? Hey! What are you doing?"

"Daryl almost died looking for her, Rick. Any one of us could have. I'm gonna tell you right now- that son of a bitch, he knew." 

"Shane, just shut the fuck up. God, you are so ignorant it's annoying." JJ started, "Hershel's not like that. He didn't know. He let your group stay here. Opened his home to you."

"Put us all in danger. He kept a barnful of walkers..."

"So, you just start insurrection, hand out guns and massacre his family?" Rick shot.

"His family's dead, Rick."

"Well, he doesn't believe that. He thinks you just murdered them in cold blood."

Shane shook his head, "no, man, I don't care what he thinks."

"Clearly." JJ scoffed. "You don't care what anyone thinks except yourself. Rick was handling it."

"Your brother had us out in those woods looking for a little girl that every single one of us knew was dead! That's what your brother did! Would've gotten us all killed if I hadn't done something bout it."

"You know what, Shane? You're a piece of shit. Hershel was gonna let us stay, that's why he took Rick out in the woods to help. He wanted us to stay. So, you might think you did was brave and smart and for the better of the group, but in reality, you just fucked us all over."

"No, JJ, I think you're the piece of shit. You wouldn't have-"

"Hey, don't you talk to her like that." Rick warned in a low, calm voice. "Don't you ever talk to her like that."