[29] too far gone

runaway --- bon jovi 

♮♮♮
[POV]

The ones who had been sick were getting better by the hour. The antibiotics were doing what they needed to be doing. JJ had gone back to her usual cell. 

"You're looking better." Rick asked his sister, who was sitting on the second story looking down at everyone getting back to normal. 

She looked up, "I'll take that as a compliment?"

"You should. You looked like shit just last night."

"Thank you so much, Rick." She rolled her eyes. He laughed, sitting next to her. "You never told me about what happened with Carol."

Rick looked around, sighing and biting his lip, "Had to send her away. She didn't even show remorse for what she did. She thought it was right." He huffed, "would you have sent her away?"

"I don't know." JJ shrugged, "I'm just glad I didn't have to make that call."

"Yeah." He nodded his head. 

"How'd Daryl take it?" Rick looked at his sister in a way that she could tell. "You haven't told him? Rick. He's gonna flip his shit when he finds out. Especially if it's anyone but you telling him."

"I was hoping you could help break the news?"

JJ scoffed, grinning, "Yeah...no thanks. I'd rather watch that shit show from a safe distance."

Rick put his head down. 

"And here's your opportunity." JJ patted his shoulder, slowly standing up as Daryl came up the stairs. 

"Hey."

"Hey." JJ greeted back, smiling. 

"Can we, uh, talk?"

"Yeah, but, I," JJ looked back to her brother, "I think Rick needs to talk to you first. Find me after?"

Daryl nodded as JJ slowly went down the stairs, still not feeling 100% from being sick. 

♮♮♮
[JJ]

The sun felt indescribable. After I left Rick and Daryl to talk, I sat the steps outside, taking in the fresh air and warm Georgia sun. I could've taken a nap sitting right here, no matter how uncomfortable these stairs were. 

The peace didn't last long. 

We'd been hit.

I hunkered behind one of the side buildings by the courtyard and was quickly joined by Maggie, Beth, Sasha, Bob and Carl. Tyreese, Daryl and Rick weren't too far behind. 

"Get back!" Rick shouted at us. 

"Rick! Come down here. We need to talk."

The Governor

Where'd he get a fucking tank?

"It's not up to me! There's a council now. They run this place." Rick shouted back. 

"Hershel on the council?" The Governor calmly asked, signaling to one of his minions. They brought Hershel out from one of their trucks. My heart dropped. No, no. Not Hershel. Not him. "What about Michonne? She on the council too?" Another minion brough Michonne next to Hershel.

"I don't make decisions anymore!"

The Governor had Michonne and Hershel on their knees execution style, "you're making the decisions today, Rick. Come down here. Let's have that talk."

Rick looked to Daryl and nodded. Then, he looked to me. Then, Carl. In his way, it was telling us it'd be okay. 

"We can't take 'em all on." Daryl mumbled to us. "We go through the admin buildings through the woods like we planned. We ain't got the numbers no more. When's the last time someone checked the stash on the bus?"