[28] internment

more than a feeling --- boston

♮♮♮
[JJ]

People were getting worse by the hour. Sasha, Glenn and I were trying to assist Hershel in intubating Henry. Straight out of Grey's Anatomy. "Drink some of that. All three of you." Hershel told us. We passed the cup between the three of us. "Some council meeting, huh?"

"We're two members short." Sasha commented. 

Hershel kept squeezing the intubation bag, "I think we should make some new rules before they get back. I hereby declare we have spaghetti Tuesdays every Wednesday." He smiled widely. It was in his best efforts to make us feel better. "First we have to find some spaghetti." Hershel looked to me, "You okay to take over?" I nodded, taking the bag in my hands. "Every five to six seconds, squeeze."

"I know. Maggie and I used to watch Grey's Anatomy between classes."

Hershel half-grinned, "if you start feelin' lightheaded, grab somebody else to take over. We'll take it in shifts. You two wanna help me go on my rounds?"

I stayed behind as the three went to attend to the others who needed it. Being alone, squeezing this bag...gets you in your thoughts. I would catch my head falling forward. It was hard not to doze off.  

"JJ."

I stirred, jolting awake. My vision was blurry, but I saw the outline of someone kneeling next to me. 

"JJ, you're gonna live."

I coughed, "Rick?"

"Come on, now. You know it's me."

"Oh, my God." I leaned my head back against the wall. "I'm hallucinating." I sat back up, "Wait, am I dead?"

"No, not quite."

"But you're here."

"Well, I must be on your mind." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes, "Definitely not."

"Right, it's Daryl instead."

"What?"

"Who's on your mind."

"Fuck you." 

"You gonna tell him?"

"Are we sure I'm not dead?"

Shane chuckled and sat next to me, "You know, never pegged you for the crush-type of girl. I mean, I know you were into me before..."

"Just leave." I cut him off. "Gah, I forgot how much of an annoying shit you were."

"I know you thought you saw me. In Woodbury." He shrugged, "Yeah...feel guilty about what happened?"

"Hell no." I squinted. "I don't know why that happened."

"I do. That's when you got your little crush...and that reminded you of your last one- me."

I scoffed, "please."

"Well, have a better reason?"

"Yeah, I was out of it. Like I am now. Will you just go away?"

"Why? The fun's just starting." Shane looked up. 

"Oh, great. Daryl's here." I laughed sarcastically. "In my fever dream."

"Of course he's here. He brought me here."

"You brought him here? To my fever dream?" I looked from Daryl to Shane.