[45] jss

detroit rock city --- kiss

♮♮♮
[POV]

JJ rambled on and on about how she should've helped out more with the plan as she and Carl walked Judith around the community.

"I just feel like- I don't know. Maybe I should've suggested an explosive of some sort..." JJ huffed. 

"And then it could've drawn more walkers." Carl contradicted. "You're stressing out about the wrong things."

JJ rolled her eyes and looked to her nephew, who had his eyes on Ron and Enid a distance away. "I think you're the one stressing about the wrong things." 

"Well, weren't you all stressed out with your crush on Daryl?" 

"No." She scoffed, crossing her arms, "I'm not stressed out about Daryl." 

"So, something happened?" Carl smirked. 

JJ shook her head, "no, no...you and I, we're not talking about that."

"Okay, but why do you get to like Daryl but I don't get to like Enid?"

"We can stop talking about Daryl now." JJ's face heated up, "And I never said you couldn't like Enid." She laughed at her teenage nephew. "I said, don't stress about it. Look," She turned him towards the two other teens. "if she was into him, you'd be able to tell by her body language."

"How so?" 

JJ shrugged like it was obvious, "for starters, she'd be a lot closer to him. And her eye contact wouldn't be with that tree on the opposite side of the road."

Carl nodded, "why are you so good at that?"

"Please," She scoffed, "Maggie would make me go on all of her first dates incognito to see if the dude was into her or not."

"Seriously?" Carl smiled. 

"Very."

"Carl?" A voice from behind them startled the two. Father Gabriel stood waiting for a response. 

JJ looked him up and down, "the hell do you want?"

"You two heard what I told Deanna about your group."

"Heard it?" JJ sassily crossed her arms, "Damn right. And you're lucky I'm not beating your ass right now."

"Aunt J." Carl calmed, continuing the conversation with Gabriel, "what do you want?"

"It was about me, not you or your group. I know that now. I want to help. You tried to teach me back at my church. But I'm ready to learn now."

"I think you need to tell everybody." Carl stated. 

Gabriel nodded, giving a defeated smile, "Yeah, I think you're right."

The two began to part ways, but Carl made one last remark, "Come by around 3:00. We'll start with the machete."

In that moment, JJ realized her nephew was growing up in so many ways. 

"Guess you got that from your dad."

"What?" Carl raised an eyebrow. 

"You're too kind for your own good."

♮♮♮

Carl and JJ were just finishing putting Judith up for her nap when they heard the screams from outside. The two rushed to the window to see the streets being infiltrated by strangers. They were ruthless too. Not one of them held back brutally attacking the people of Alexandria.