[23] welcome to the tombs

come together --- aerosmith version

♮♮♮
[POV]

Although the group had devised a plan for the Governor, they still prepared for the worst. They packed their bags and loaded the cars, leaving them just outside of the prison fence. 

JJ walked over to her brother after seeing Carl yank away from Rick. She crossed her arms and leaned against the car. "I've never seen him this mad. Even with Lori. He's just--- he's shut down."

Rick sadly looked over to his son, "He's still a kid. It's easy to forget that sometimes."

While she was standing with Rick, her eyes landed on Daryl. They'd been closer since they buried Merle. Their relationship had changed from being a part of the same group to friends. Daryl looked at JJ differently, too. He saw her as someone other than just Rick's sister. 

Rick did one last sweep of the cellblock, making sure everything and everyone was ready. JJ, Glenn and Maggie stayed hidden behind the makeshift walls on the walkway, prepared to defend the prison. Which they did. Decked out in body armor, the three shot up the Governor's crew when they were leaving the prison. 

"Get the hell out of here!" Glenn shouted, shooting rounds at them alongside the other two. 

JJ got in the few last hits at their truck as the Governor and his team retreated. 

Maggie stood up, lifting her helmet's shield, "we did it?!"

"We did it." Glenn breathed heavily. "Come on down." He told the two. 

They met up with the others in the courtyard. "We did it. We drove them out." Rick was proud of the group. 

"We should go after them." Michonne opinionated. 

"We should finish it." Daryl agreed. 

JJ nodded, her adrenaline still pumping, "Finish the fuck out of it."

"It is finished. Didn't you see them hightail it out of here?" Maggie motioned. 

JJ looked to her friend, then her brother, "they're probably on their way to regroup as we're standing here."

"JJ's right. We can't take the chance. He's not gonna stop." Glenn said.

Carol nodded, "They're right. We can't keep living like this."

"So we take the fight back to Woodbury." Maggie reminded, "We barely made it back last time."

Daryl shook his head, "I don't care."

"Yeah...let's check on the others. Come on." The split group met back inside the prison cell block where Hershel, Beth and Carl brought Judith back in. 

♮♮♮
[JJ]

I leaned against the truck, ready to finish this with the Governor once and for all. 

Rick joined me, "He shot somebody."

I looked to my brother, seeing him motion to his son, "Carl?" He nodded. "Why?"

"It was one of the Governor's soldiers- a kid. He was handing over his gun."

"So, why did Carl shoot?"

Rick shrugged, "I don't know, but I'm scared he's turning cold."

I comforted him, patting the top of his hand, "go talk to him. Before we leave." I motioned over to Carl, who was sitting over on the bleachers and had his head down. Rick handed me his gun before walking over.