[12] seed

stayin' alive --- bee gees

♮♮♮
[JJ]

It had been months since the night of the farm. We hadn't stayed in one place for more than a few nights. We were exhausted- out of food, out of stamina and out of hope. Despite what Daryl had said, I hadn't talked to Rick. Sure, we had our civil discussions when it came to group decisions, but past that, nothing but silence...from me, at least. 

In fact, there wasn't much talking within the group at all. Tension was high between everyone. When someone did talk, like I said, it was for a group decision. 

Our newest break-in was an old, secluded house at the end of a gravel driveway. Rick, T-Dog, Daryl and even Carl went in first as the rest of us stood watch outside. We didn't enter until we were given the nod of approval from our trusty leader man Rick Grimes. 

The lot of us sat circled in the living room as Daryl was picking apart an owl he'd just shot and Carl walked in with the only food he'd found...two cans of expired dog food, which Rick threw against the fireplace. 

I grimaced at the options, glaring at Daryl's owl, "man, I'd kill for a Poptart right about now."

"Strawberry frosted?" Maggie asked. 

I nodded, "mm, I can smell it burning in the toaster now."

T-Dog looked out the window, noticing the concerning number of walkers, "hey." He motioned outside as we gathered the supplies and packed the cars back up. 

We didn't get far before stopping again and pulling out the map, "We ain't got no place else to go." T-Dog told us. 

Maggie pointed, "When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off. We'll never make it south."

"What would you say? About 150 head?" Daryl leaned against the hood. 

Glenn shook his head, "that was last week. It could be twice that by now."

"This river could've delayed them." Hershel hoped, "if we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through there."

"Yeah, but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way." T-Dog argued. 

"So, we're blocked." I huffed. 

"Only thing to do is double back at 27 and swing toward Greenville." Rick suggested. 

T-Dog scratched the back of his neck, "yeah, we picked through that already. It's like we spent the winter going in circles."

"Yeah, I know." Rick sassed. God, he was so short-tempered these days. I mean, everyone was, but especially him. "At Newnan, we'll push west. Haven't been through there yet. We can't keep going house to house. Need to find someplace to hole up for a few weeks."

"Alright, is it cool if we get to the creek before we head out? Won't take long." T-Dog and the others grabbed some water bottles. "We gotta fill up on water. We can boil it later."

I looked to some nearby train tracks. "I'll be right back, too."

"JJ, you know the rules, no one goes off on their own." Rick stopped me. I rolled my eyes and scoffed at my brother. 

"Come on, while the others wash their panties, let's go hunt." Daryl walked past me in the direction I was headed, "the owl didn't exactly hit the spot." We walked along the tracks, my boots clicking against the metal bar with each step. "Can you walk any quieter?"

"Can you smell any quieter?" I shot back, saying the first thing that came to mind.

"That didn't even make sense."