[31] the grove

zombie --- the cranberries

♮♮♮
[JJ]

I'd never been so relieved in my life than when I opened the door to Carol, Tyreese, Lizzie and Mika. 

"Brought pecans." Carol smiled, "Figured we could make some cookies."

I nodded, opening the door and letting them in. 

"Judith." Tyreese grinned, "You saved her?"

"I did." I crossed my arms, also admiring the deeply sleeping baby, "It was right before the admin building went down. Barely made it out."

"Glad you did." He told me, "I never said I was sorry...before."

I raised an eyebrow, "about what?"

"When I found Karen and David and went after your brother. You were just looking out for your brother, and the way I stood up and looked at you-" He shook his head, "that wasn't me."

"I know." I nodded, "we've all had those moments. Trust me, I didn't think anything of it after that day." I looked over to Carol, remembering what my brother had told me. I dared not mention anything since I didn't know who knew what.

Carol met my eyes, "It's beginning to get dark. I'm gonna light some candles. Lizzie, you wanna help me crack these pecans?"

Lizzie nodded, "yes, ma'am."

I smiled, sitting on the couch and glancing out the window at the few flickers of light every once in a while, "Haven't seen those in a while."

Mika came over and sat beside me, also looking out the window, "what?"

"Fireflies."

Tyreese chuckled to himself, "You ever catch 'em? Me and Sasha would every summer before we had to go in for dinner."

"I'd put 'em in a jar. Rick would let them go after I fell asleep." I leaned against my hand. 

"You catch them?" Mika grinned, "with what?"

"Your hands." Tyreese told her as if it were obvious. "What? You've never caught fireflies before?" Mika shook her head. "Hmph, we might have to change that." He admired the house, "I could get used to this. We're in a living room, in a house."

"Yeah, so relax." Mika told him. I laughed, turning my head back out towards the field of fireflies. "We should live here."

All three of us, Carol, Tyreese and I smiled at Mika and shared passing glances. 

When the pecans had been cracked and the three girls had been put down to bed, I went outside with Carol and sat on the porch. 

"I heard about the prison." 

"It sucked." I shook my head, not looking over to her. 

"There's this place- Terminus. We saw a sign for it when we first started walking."

"Terminus? Sounds like a sketchy-ass place with that kind of name."

Carol stifled a laugh, "We talked about going. Maybe the others, the ones who survived the prison, maybe they'd be there."

I nodded, looking out in the field, "if they survived."

"Well, aren't you just a little ray of sunshine." Carol commented, grinning as I looked over at her. "You know there has to be others. You survived...with Judith. Rick, Carl, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie- I'm sure they're out there."

I huffed. 

"What else is on your mind?"

"It's stupid."