[56] last day on earth

rock you like a hurricane --- scorpions

♮♮♮
[POV]

"She's getting worse." JJ alerted as she loaded the RV alongside her brother.

"Good call on the transport." Abraham commented.

Rick nodded, "I figured she'd be more comfortable."

"It also means you got room for more." He added, noticing Rick's hesitancy, "They're out there, so I'm gonna be there with you." Abraham grinned with Sasha, "We are."

"Package deal."

"Uh, what she said." Eugene went to follow the other two on board.

"Look, it's a long trip and you're just getting over-"

"It's a superficial graze, proteins are binding, plus we need to discuss ammunition production and manufacture, so let's roll."

Rick looked like he wanted to argue.

Abraham got off, loading more onto the RV, "Already tried. Give him an inch, he's taking a mile."

"I'm only asking for 23 give or take, depending on the route. I know I can be of some help. Now's the time, here's the place. I'll be your anchorman. Yes, I damn will."

"What he said." JJ smirked, climbing onto the RV after Eugene.

"Whoa, JJ."

"Rick," She stopped, sighing, "I know you're not about to ask me to stay back. After all Maggie and I have went through together? No way I'm staying behind. I'm getting her to the Hilltop."

Rick slightly grinned at his sister's readiness to defend, "I was just going to say, I think it's best if you sit with Maggie on the way there. I think it'll help keep her calm."

"Oh." JJ nodded, "yeah, agreed."

♮♮♮

JJ did just that- she stayed by Maggie's side throughout the ride.

"I need you to distract me." Maggie weakly told her best friend.

"Oh, um...well, the weather's been nice lately." JJ shrugged, not sure of how else to distract Maggie.

"What are you gonna do about Daryl?"

"Maggie," JJ scoffed, "now isn't the time to talk about some schoolgirl crush."

"It's what I need. Distract me."

JJ sighed, "Okay, okay. Um...I think I'm afraid of-uh," She nervously laughed, "...I think I'm afraid to fall in love."

Maggie shook her head.

"Yeah, see, I knew this wouldn't work, we both know I suck in a crisis. I mean, did you really think that I-"

Maggie judged her friend, "You're afraid to admit it. You're already in it."

"Damn," JJ breathed, "now you're the one distracting me."

Maggie smiled. Then, quietly greeted Rick, who had come back to join the two.

"Hey. We're gonna get there. The doctor at the Hilltop, he's gonna make things better." Rick gently told Maggie, placing a hand to the side of her head, "Hey."

"How do you know?" He voice cracked.

"Everything we've done, we've done together. We got here together and we're still here. Things have happened, but it's always worked out for us, 'cause it's always been all of us. That's how I know. 'Cause as long as it's all of us, we can do anything."