[63] something they need

bitter sweet symphony --- the verve

♮♮♮
[JJ]

I took it day by day. My body constantly ached, and when it didn't ache, that's when the nausea came. All I wanted was to be back in Alexandria. Back with my family. My people. I was sick and tired of the stench of the factory and the overpowering cologne Negan's room was drenched in. 

I didn't do anything, though. I couldn't. I was completely trapped. Hell, I'd asked Eugene and Dwight to put me out of my misery, but neither of them would. At this point, anything was better than staying at The Sancturary. Even being six feet under. 

Those type of thoughts came often. With this situation, it was inevitable. It helped to focus on Daryl. He'd made it out, so had Sherry. 

Negan stood outside the door, talking with one of his men. Luckily, I was close enough to hear, but not enough to be seen. 

Another climbed up the steps, "Negan...Eugene's requesting to see 'er." 

"No kiddin'." Negan turned, seeming to be amused by the request, "What for?"

The man shrugged, but Negan still agreed. "Alright. Send him in. See if her can...persuade her."

I didn't know who they were talking about, but I wanted to find out. 

The door opening startled me from my thoughts. 

"Mornin' ladies." Negan greeted. There was a mix of soft mumbles back. I'd been on good graces with Negan lately. Mostly, I've been keeping my head low to avoid any unnecessary conversations. 

"Um, Negan?" I quietly started, standing next to him. "Is Eugene in the basement?"

He raised his brow, "What for?"

I swallowed hard, "I just- I had a question about the interplay between kinetics and mass transfer and why it's crucial for designing efficient chemical processes with optimal reaction rates and transport phenomena."

That was the most bullshitted sentence I had ever bullshitted. 

Negan looked confused.

"I heard that he was making bullets, and since I was in school for chemical engineering, that kind of stuff...interests me." 

His confusion turned to a look of impress. "Well, alright." Negan looked to the other side of the room, "Katie! Will you accompany JJ down to the basement?"

"Why does Katie need to accompany me?"

Negan shrugged, "You haven't forgotten what happened to your ol' pal Daryl, have you? Can't risk letting you get out too. So, from now on, Katie's gonna accompany you. We'll call it...I don't know. What about a buddy system?" He laughed to himself. "That work?" Then, his tone went serious again, "unless you have a problem with it..."

I shook my head, "nope. It's fine by me. Like I said, just wanna talk to Eugene."

♮♮♮

Katie followed me down the stairwell. We hadn't spoken since she'd visited me in the cell. It took everything in me not to ask her about what she was talking about when she mentioned Randall. But that wasn't my priority- getting out of here was. 

"That was bullshit, wasn't it?" She asked, breaking the silence. 

I huffed, but continued to go down to the basement, "what are you talking about?"

"All that science crap. That was all bullshit. Just some half-ass excuse to come talk to Eugene."

"And why would I need an excuse to talk to Eugene? He's Negan now. He's...one of us."