on the run

brickell, miami

brickell, miami.

jade and capo had always been an outlying couple. they were down for each other for the long run.

jade had spent the day at capo's home while he'd been out running. every thursday, was their day to spend at one another's spot.

jade had spent the last 2 years out of contact with her family, moving to her own apartment, she found herself at peace without the toxic mindsets and pressure from her parents to be a submissive woman.

she grew, being forced to believe that a woman should be down for her man through it all, that the woman should not inquire about what her man is doing-- that she should just hold the fort down.

growing up, she refused to believe her purpose was to sit at home, clean, take care of the babies, cook, cater to the needs of a man, argue with a man, and be deluded by a man's care.

being with jade showed that balance is possible.

times where she simply didn't feel like being a "woman" is when capo took his time to take her preplaced role.

jade had moments where she just wanted to lay in bed, in her bonnet. in those days, capo took it into his hands to clean, cook, and cater.

then there were days where jade didn't just shut up and be a woman, and in response, capo listened. noted how she felt, and changed whatever it is she didn't like. she grew into her own person, she refused to become her mother.

the mother who talked so proudly of a man who did her so wrong, a man who believed it was simply his culture as a black man to not have one woman.

she refused to be like the woman who lost herself in hopes of becoming the perfect accessory to a man.

jade was herself, not sherice.

sherice was blinded by old standards, and the fear of being alone.

being surrounded by bosses, jade saw her homegirls as daily motivation to show that you can do this shit on your own.

and that's exactly how she approached capo.

"jay, what do you want for dinner?" capo spoke as jade and him laid in bed, watching love & hip hop atlanta.

capo had just returned from making his plays, and had now showered and was in bed with his durag.
-- "chy you know it's wings night." she responded as he nodded, passing her his phone, allowing her to order food.

"order it, when it come, im tryna take you somewhere" he spoke, getting up.

"the spot?"
"you know it."

time passed, the couple had thrown on some pajamas and were now on their way to a small spot that overlooked the entire city.

they would always meet here when they hadn't gotten official, to smoke, and get to know each other-- and now this was classified as their spot.

the air was slightly cold, the type of air that you would call "really nice out" and capo had already rolled 2 Js for the pair to smoke.

sitting on a lone bench that overlooked the skyline, they opened up their plate of wings in the middle of the bench, before jade positioned herself to face him.

lighting the Js, capo handed one to her and she instantly began smoking.

they held both joints in rotation as they smoked silently.

most of their nights were spent like this, if they weren't in the club with the rest of the group, they spent time secluded from everyone.

for some reason, they hadn't found themself to be date people. they preferred not being around anyone else just because they chose to have personal conversations each time.

"you know what i always wondered?" jade spoke up, looking at capo, who had ashed his J.

he let out a low "mm." in response to her inquiry.

"I wonder if God played this out, for spirit to find judah, or for me to find you. I wonder which one of us worked by chance." she spoke seriously.

"all this shit by chance. don't question Gods doing, just gotta be grateful fa what tha man does fa' you." he shrugged, looking at her.

he continued, "either way, fuck everybody else, im happy i got YOU. grateful he gave me you." he spoke, looking back at the skyline.

"I don't know why i felt so drawn to you. you wanna know sum?" she spoke.

he nodded, finishing his J, being fully tuned into what she had to say.

"it's always been hard for me, you kno? i have never been able to find somebody who sees me in a way to be romantic with.-- i have always been a supporting homegirl. the homegirl that supported mo with every love interest she had, because i loved seeing how happy it made her."

"the homegirl that always urged spirit to find love, because through all the stability and fortune she had grown for herself, someone like spirit, is not destined to not believe that love is for her. i urged her because, someone deserves to have someone like spirit for eternity.

"but when it came to me, i always longed for love, but no matter how hard i tried, i could never find it for myself but i found it for anyone else. i was so skeptical of you because i couldn't believe that my time had come. then you were so adamant that you ain't care if i was submissive to you."

she let out her feelings for the first time, for someone who was nonchalant about everything, and found no reason to let people know her feelings, she had never done anything like it before.

capo sat silent for a moment, digesting what she said.

"just kno, i got you. you'n needa be nobody else but who you are fa someone to love you. thats why i love you, because you'n give a fuck what i want, you do everything for YOU. you selfish in the best ways yet selfless at the same time and it's hard to find shit like that inna female."

"you deserve mo' then what anybody else got. and i put it on everything imma be the one to give it to you." he continued.

the pair were each other's reassurance.

jade smiled to herself, leaning back on the bench.

"what." he spoke up, looking at her wide grin.

"you in love wit' me nigga." she started laughing.

he kissed his teeth, packing up his plate, beginning to stand up.

"nigga you the one obsessed wit' my ah. bet money right nai if i get up n leave you gon' be crying." he spoke, standing up.

jade began laughing, "don't know why you tryna bet me right now like your parlays ever hit." she muttered under her breath.

capo looked at jade offended, before throwing they food away.

"consider that hair appointment, CANCELED." he unlocked the car door.

jade began laughing harder, before chasing behind him, grabbing his shoulder.

"it was a prank, you play too much" she said, kissing him before walking over to the passenger seat.

"yea, hoe got scared she was gon have to rock that slickback." he responded, opening the door.

"take the durag off let the world see what's up unda dat." she joked, causing him to go silent.