Comforting the Rat

Calli pov: I finished the call with Mama Mori, and she told me it was okay for us to come, all of us. I of course specified that six of us would be there, but not that two are my kids.

"Actually, I don't want to go." Bae suddenly said

I glared at her in disbelief that she would say this now after telling me she would come

"Well, Mama Mori is expecting you so..." I said

"I don't want to go!" Bae whined

I rolled my eyes and grabbed her by the tail, beginning to drag her with me.

"Irys, help me!" Bae cried

"You did say you'd go," Irys said.

"Urahhhhh!" Bae cried as she clawed at the ground, trying to escape.

"Calm down...." Irys sighed

"I can help with that!" Mumei stated that she seemingly appeared in front of us out of thin air.

"What do you mean?" I asked

Mumei walked over to Bae and looked deeply into her eyes, saying, "Be a nice rat." She said Bae shivered as she glanced in the other direction.

"Oh?" Mumei laughed as her eyes became more animalistic. "Aren't you going to order me around?" She asked

"I have no reason to..." Bae stated

"You really are sucking the fun out of this...." Mumei groaned

"Hey Mumei, we don't have much time, remember!" Fauna said

"Yeah, give me a few!" She said

"Just go have fun, Mumei," Bae ordered.

"Nope..." Mumei said

"No," Bae said, confused.

"You ordered me to do so, therefore it wouldn't be fun," Mumei said.

"But i-- nevermind..." Bae groaned

"You need to have some fun, Bae. Do whatever you want," Mumei said.

"What do you mean?" Bae asked

"Just look at Sana; she's free, and she's having fun with Ina," Mumei said.

"Yeah, but that isn't me; I'm stuck with Irys!" Bae said.

"Wow, I love you too...." Irys said sarcastically as she rolled her eyes.

"Look, bae, you can't just change your mind all of a sudden. Whatever your problem is, just spit it out."

She remained silent for a minute before finally speaking up.

"It's just that I'm afraid of Mama Mori," Bae suddenly said.

"Really why?" I asked

"Because I'm afraid that she doesn't want to see me," Bae said.

"And why is that?" I asked

"Because you seem like her favorite child, her prodigy, while I'm just a rat with no talent," Bae said.

"Don't say that!" I said

"You know it's true!" Bae said

"Well, we each have talents," I said. Bae glared at me and sighed.

"Yeah, that goes to show that you don't even care," Bae said.

"Eh?" I said.

That wasn't true. I do care about her; after all, she is my little sister. However, Bae is less talented than me, so I will give her that much.

"You are the leader of the council, stop being humble!" I said

"You don't even believe that means anything...." She sighed

"Yeah, I do!" I sighed

Bae really was getting on my case for no reason, despite the fact that I'm literally just trying to help her gain some confidence back, but she just won't let me do anything that would help her in any way.

"Bae, I can promise you no one feels like you're worthless, right, Mumei?" I asked

I looked for the brown-haired owl to no avail; she was gone without a trace as if she were never there in the first place.

"What the hell, where did she go?" Irys asked

I shook my head, ignoring how off Mumei is; if Kiara were here, she probably would have stayed.

"You really have no idea what Mumei is capable of." Bae sighed

"See, you are smart!" I said I was using her knowledge on council as a gauge.

"That ain't helping," Bae sighed.

"Seriously, and I genuinely came up with that compliment!" I sighed

"Just saying I'm smart doesn't help." Bae grumbled

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. I didn't know why Bae was being so stubborn. Did she understand that I just wanted to bring us all together for a family outing?

"You really are something else, Bae...." I sighed.

I wasn't going to push her anymore and began to walk away slowly. She glared at me and yanked on my shirt.

"Where the hell are you going!?" Bae asked

"Back home since you aren't coming," I said.

"No, I'm coming!" Bae shouted

I tilted my head and stared at her, smiling at her like a giddy child.

"Let's go to our house then," I said.

"Wait! I don't want to go!" Bae shouted

"Alright, then bye!" I said, waving to her as I slowly walked away.

Bae began to follow, and I exhaled looking back at her.

"Didn't you say you didn't want to go?" I asked cheerily.

"I don't, I'm just following you," Bae said.

"Whatever floats your boat..." I laughed

"Make up your mind, Bae," Irys said.

"I did, and I'm not going!" Bae said

"Then we'll stay here then," Irys said.

"I agree. Only follow me if you want to come with us to meet Mama Mori," I said.

I began to walk again, and without fail, Bae began to follow. I didn't stop this time because even if I did, Bae was trapped due to the rules I just set.

I didn't understand why Bae couldn't just outright say she wanted to go with us.

I wondered if Mama Mori could defuse this situation, but I feel as if Bae will be too shy to do anything.

"Bae, you better talk once we get there," I said.

"S-sure!" Bae said in an unconvincing manner.

"You are really something else, and that's not a good thing," I groaned.

"I agree, but Bae just kind of sucks," Irys said.

"Wow, thanks, Irys!" Bae growled

"Get along, you two; you will be introduced to Mama Mori as a couple, so grow up," I said.

I wondered if Bae and Irys would be able to handle Kobo and Clare, speaking of which I wonder what Kiara was doing.