twenty-six.

(   TRUE  

(   TRUE   .   CRIME.   )

wednesday had just told orpheus what her and weems had talked about and he was thoroughly confused.

"she wants you to play the cello?" he asked, as him and wednesday got off the bus. "yes." wednesday frowned.

"then you better be good" orpheus said, watching as wednesday nodded. "look, there's xavier" wednesday pointed out, smirking as she motioned to xavier.

"i don't care" orpheus muttered, letting his eyes look over the boy who stood staring at a blank wall.

"perfect, then you won't mind talking to him" wednesday hummed, beginning to walk towards xavier. "wait, no" orpheus said, hurriedly following after wednesday.

"why are you staring at a blank wall?" wednesday asked upon reaching xavier, orpheus coming to a stop beside her. "it wasn't blank last outreach day." xavier said, looking between the two.

"are you still stewing because we rejected your invitation?" orpheus asked, head tilted to the side in question. "i did go out on a limb for you" he answered, shrugging as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

"please. i'm just cannon fodder in whatever cold war you're waging with bianca." orpheus scoffed, rolling his eyes. "besides, we have more pressing issues" wednesday said.

"like what?" xavier asked, turning to look at them. "tracking down the monster that killed your roommate" orpheus said, causing xavier to scoff, "oh my god. for the last time, rowan was expelled, everyone saw him leave."

"have you spoken to him since?" wednesday questioned. "i texted him a few times, but i never heard back. i just figured he wanted nevermore in his rearview mirror." xavier sighed.

"or he's dead." orpheus said, raising a brow at xavier, who scoffed and began to walk away. "i don't know why you guys care, it's not like you knew the guy." he said as orpheus and wednesday began to catch up to his long strides.

"i'm not sure why you care so little." orpheus said as wednesday began to open her backpack.

"people can dismiss us and make a million other excuses, but we're not gonna stop." wednesday said, pulling the book from before out of her backpack.

"oh, great. i guess you can add 'thief' to your resume." xavier scoffed, ignoring the slight glare that orpheus shot his way.

"i don't know what the big deal is about an old nightshade's journal anyways." xavier then added as the trio came to a stop.

"you didn't seem surprised when you saw this last night." wednesday said, holding the book up to xavier. "you've seen it before, haven't you?" orpheus asked, eyes narrowed on xavier, who sighed.

"yeah, a couple days before the harvest festival." wednesday slowly put the book down as her and orpheus shared a look. "it was open on rowan's desk. i assumed he stole it after we kicked him out of the nightshades."

"then I confronted him about it, and he kind of went ballistic on me." xavier finished, sighing as orpheus and wednesday shared another look.

"he threw you against the wall with his telekinesis." orpheus muttered, watching as xavier's brows furrowed. "yeah, how did you know that?" he asked. "lucky guess." orpheus shrugged, only earning himself a skeptical look from the taller boy.

"it's weird that you guys are in this. i mean this journal is like, what, 30 years old?" xavier asked, pointing to the page of the still open book.

"and what the hell is crackstone doing in the picture with you?" he asked, motioning to it again. "you know who that is?" orpheus asked.

"yeah, it's joseph crackstone. he's, like, jericho's founding father, he's a big deal around here." xavier said, before looking up. "yeah, look. that's him." he said, pointing to where an image of a man, crackstone, was being displayed.

JUPITER SPEAKS!
thank you all sm for the kind comments on the last chapter, i'm feeling a bit better now :)
i lost motivation for this book but i stared rewatching wednesday, since before id go off memory and search up clips i was unsure about, but i think rewatching is definitely helping me