Chapter 41: Secret Hero

(The Masked Hero's POV)

[Earlier that day]

I dawn my mask for the first time. 'It's time to be a hero, even if I'm not allowed.' I thought to myself. I may not have a license to be a hero, but I really don't care. A hero is someone who does what's right.

I flicked on a secret voice changer, and then I started strolling the streets. Thanks to my mask, nobody could identify me. The concept always caught my attention: a masked hero, one whose origins aren't known, nor are their identities. The voice changer was to prevent people who may know my voice from recognizing me. 

Things were pretty quiet for most of the morning. I didn't expect much, as it was early, so not a lot of people were out and about. I was enjoying the quiet, even humming some music, until I heard a scream in the distance.

"Someone help me! That man stole my purse." It sounded like an elderly woman. 'Well, here's my chance.' I thought to myself. I bolted down the block and saw something climb a building. Without any hesitation, I shot some green mist from my hand up the side of the building, covering the villain. 

After a few seconds of the villain probably in panic mode, I shot a bolt of electricity up the cloud, knocking them to the ground. They were very slow to get up, and a small crowd formed around us. "Well then." I say, walking towards them. "Are you gonna get up? Or is that it?" I teased. I was feeling confident, and wanted to goat them into attacking me.

"Ooo. That's mistake number two. Bring it." They dared, but I taunted them some more. They changed at me, but I just sidestepped and chopped their neck hard, knocking them to the ground. I picked up the stolen purse, turned back towards the thief, and did an axe kick to them, instantly ko'ing them.

I handed the purse back to the lady. "Thank you so much. Here." She started reaching into her purse, most likely to hand me money, but I stopped her. "Please, all in a day's work." I look around, admiring the crowd and drinking in the cheers, until I see a familiar face. I suddenly dash away from the crowd.

When I got far enough away, with nobody around to see me, I took off my mask, as I wasn't quite used to fighting in it and was struggling to breathe a little. All I could think about was one face in the crowd. 

"Tsuyu…what are you doing here at this hour?"