Chapter 48: Partner Revealed

(Todoroki's POV)

I had gathered my friends together in the courtyard a couple hours after I announced the challenge. My father went more into detail for me, since he never told me any extra details. After he finished, my friends asked who my partner was going to be. I whistled and extended my hand out to the bush next to me which started rustling. My partner's hand grabbed mine so I could help her get up.

She stood up, with the group having a surprised look on their face. "MOMO!?" They yelled in surprise. Even my father had a puzzled look on his face. He had no clue who my partner would be. Nobody but me and Momo did. 

"Hi guys!" She cheerfully said waving her free hand while using my hand to get out of the bush. Once out she let go. "Son, all do respect, but why Momo and not someone stronger like Bakugo to gain a better chance of winning?" He questioned in his normally stern tone.

"You see, I thought it would be fair, since both the other two were a male-female team. And trust me, Momo is no slouch. While she might not be as physical as Bakugo, not many students here are. Momo is smarter in combat and just in general than Bakugo or any other person I could've asked for, and I had a feeling you'd pull a trick about it not all being physical stuff, but mental tests as well, which she excels at." I explained. To my surprise, my father smiled.

"Smart boy. Instead of finding someone to increase your biggest strength, you find someone who is versatile in every aspect and excels where you don't." He said, chuckling.

Momo smiled, presumably because of my compliments. I was a bit surprised she said yes to being my partner, but I guess she wanted the free vacation.

"Well, I'm stoked to do this!" She exclaimed. Everyone nodded in agreement. "Just one question that neither of you cleared up…" (Y/N) chimed in. "When does this begin?" He asked.

"Honestly, I wasn't even told." I responded looking at my father for the answer. He turned back to face the others. "Tomorrow, 8am sharp. We will start with a mental test, so your classroom of 1-A works perfectly. Make sure you rest easy tonight." He suggested, walking back into the school.