The Darkness of Nightmares

(A/N: Please see the end for notes)

Lily had slept most of the day with constant nightmares. Xiao would ease her pain every time her dreams turned into nightmares. Just like Guizhong said they were constant. Lily would occasionally cry if the nightmares were severe. But it would end each time Xiao ate the nightmares. 

One dream in particular was persistent. Xiao had a hard time with this one. It was dark and thorny. Lily would scream when this one came back. He hated seeing her suffer but what could he do? He doesn't know her pain.

This particular dream was the memory of her father's death. Issac came running into the house panting. "Dad?". He sighs in relief. "You're not hurt". Why would she be hurt? "Dad, what's wrong?". Issac goes up to her and embraces her in a hug. 

A few tears of relief were shed. "Dad?". He let go of her and quickly gathered a few things. "Gather your things we must leave". Lily didn't have time to ask why when a loud crash came from outside. Issac grits his teeth and grabs Lily's arm. "We must leave!".

They leave from the back door and as the door opens Lily is horrified at the surroundings. Her once small tranquil village was decimated. Monsters and demons alike ravaged the town. Screams were heard as they tried to flee her village. "Liliana do not let go!". 

Issac took out his sword and fought through the monsters. A distant battle was heard. Clanking of weapons was also heard throughout the village. Terror overtook Lily as she was unable to help. They get almost to the end of the village where the remnants of a God stood.

It looked like a dark mist to Issac, but to Lily she could see the vengeful spirit of the God. Her eyes widened with fear as the immense aura froze her body. It raised its spear into the air and swung it at her. "Liliana!". Issac blacked the attack as Lily snapped out of her trance. "Dad!". 

He struggled against the weight of whatever he was blocking. But the vengeful spirit was too strong. Issac's weapon shattered as the spear struck directly into his chest. Blood splattered everywhere as he fell to the ground.

Lily screamed as she fell to the ground next to him in shock. She was covered in her father's blood from head to toe. Even through the shock she could see the vengeful spirit laughing. Lily regained herself just before the spirit could strike again. 

She looked down at her father's body as she screamed again. Tears flooded her vision with her ears ringing. "No! No! No!!!!!". One last scream with something inside of her shattered. Lily's power flooded out of her as her surroundings all turned to dust.

The vengeful spirit is purified. Lily opened her eyes when Issac touched her cheek. "Flower...". She grabbed ahold of his hand. "Daddy...". He smiles at her. "My...lovely...daughter..." With his last remaining strength, he embraced her in a hug. "I-I love you...always...Liliana". 

His last breath escapes him as Lily wails. Her surroundings fell silent. Cries and sniffling were heard afterwards. This memory repeated itself over and over until it almost broke her psyche. Semi-Good dreams would come after, but she couldn't take it anymore.

It was like an endless loop. That horrifying dream connected with good ones. "Please...stop". She repeated constantly. "Lily". She sees Xiao as he grabs her. "Xiao?". He wraps around her protectively. "It's ok. I'm here". Lily didn't know if this was the real Xiao or not. "Xiao, I don't want any more nightmares". Xiao lightly rubs her back. "For you my love anything". Xiao takes one more last gulp, and the dream ends. 

Lily wakes up in his arms. "Flower?". Both looked exhausted. "Xiao, what happened?". He smiles and helps her up. "You've been tormented by nightmares. I've been devouring them". For him to look exhausted they must've been constant. "Xiao...I". He stops her. "Get some rest. I'll be here".

A/N: Hi Everyone! I am deeply sorry for my long hiatus. I am feeling much better and will update regularly after new year's. Happy Late Christmas! I didn't want to upload such a sad chapter on Christmas. I was also baking and had family over, so I didn't have any time until now. 

But other than that; I had an early Christmas present! Thank you so much for 5,000 views! It means so much to me! And thank you everyone who starred on my chapters! again, thank you so much! Happy New Year's Everyone! See you guys in 2023!

See you soon! 

- Aria :-)