I. The Fateful First Meeting

Narration:

Nevermore has open its doors once again after the events of Joseph Crackstone's revival and demise in the hands of Wednesday Addams. Nevermore Academy is school for outcasts, freaks, and monsters and that is perfect for someone who has nowhere to go just like Gunvald Osborn.

Gunvald's POV

The name is Gunvald Osborn and I spent the last 3 months traveling throughout the country to find a school. You may ask why am I having a hard time finding a school when there is a school at almost every corner of every city, it's because I may look like a normal skinny 5'7", black-haired, green-eyed kid but  I'm not a normal and average kid.

What I mean about being not your average kid is I'm different in a monstery kind of way. Yep, you read it right. I'm half human and half monster. 

My father is a Yeti, one of the very few left or maybe one of the last two of our kind, and my mother is a human, a completely normal human or not your typical human since she married my dad. 

I know when I said Yeti, you are already picturing in your head a large, tall, white, hairy man and you are right but it's only when he's angry or when he wants to be in that form. Most of the time, he looks like a normal middle-aged man.

Unlike my father, I can't control my transformation yet and the first time I turned Yeti was when I saw a baby deer caught in a bear trap, I got angry at the people who placed the trap there and it was all a blur, I can't remember much of the details but I remember glimpses like my hands getting bigger and hairy, my nails becoming sharp claws, and freeing the baby deer by ripping the trap open but the most terrifying sensation I felt when I transformed was the overwhelming rage that I can't control. 

I don't know how I turned back but I just woke up in my bed with my parents on my bedside with worry in their eyes.

So to get back to the story of me traveling to find a school; one day, out of nowhere, my parents told me to pack up and find a school. 

I still remember that day like it was yesterday, I was coming back home from going on a stroll then I saw both of them sitting around the dining table, "Hey!" I greeted and I immediately felt an uneasiness, "Sit. We need to talk about something." My mom said pulling the chair next to her, I sat down beside her. 

"Uhm... So?" I asked looking at them both, "Me and your mom had a talk and we agreed on sending you to school." he said, "School?" I was confused, "Uhm... Why?" I asked still unable to understand the point of the talk we were having, my mom held my hand, "You need to get out there and you shouldn't be trap out here in the mountains when there is a wide world out there you haven't yet experience." she told me.

I was still reluctant, "But you told me that humans are not to be trusted. You said that once they found out I'm not human they will imprison me, hurt me, and even kill me.", "And all of it is true but not all humans are like that. And the school you'll be going is especially for your kind. So pack up and once you arrived there give the principal this." she handed me a piece of paper with 'Nevermore' written on it. . "But-" I tried reasoning again but my dad cut me off, "No more buts. This is for you. You'll understand when you get there.", I just nodded and went to pack up my things. They engulfed me in a hug before sending me off.

It took me a week to realize that Nevermore is the name of the school, I don't know if my parents forgot to tell me where this 'Nevermore' is or it is part of their plan for me to experience the world.

I went to libraries in every town I passed, to find the location of Nevermore but to no avail, it was like completely hidden from the world. 

Two months in my travels, I caught wind of something related to where might Nevermore be, in Jericho, Vermont. It took me another month to get to Jericho, Vermont since I was only walking trying to embrace the outside world.

When I was passing through the town, I heard conversations about the school of freaks and outcasts, I immediately thought, "Perfect place for me."

Finally I found it, the elusive Nevermore. I was standing in front of a huge gate with a name written on top of it, "Nevermore Academy" I read out loud. 

I walked inside and it seems the school year has already started since there were students about the same age as me walking around. 

Everybody there was staring at me, maybe because I'm wearing a large fur coat when it's like 100 degrees outside making me stick out like a sore thumb. 

I'm trying to find the principal's office but with no luck since I don't know where to look.

It would be easy if I ask a student but living in a mountain secluded from the outside world with minimal to no contact to any other people didn't help in developing my socializing skills. 

I sat down on a bench, thinking of what to do. I took out the letter from my bag but then a strong gust of wind blew it out of my hand, "Oh no!" I quickly ran after the letter which is gliding with the wind then when I was about to reach the letter, a stronger blast of wind carried it higher and farther which made it hard for me to follow where the letter went. 

"Oh no! This is bad." I muttered looking around the area trying to find the letter. After several minutes of searching, I went back to bench absolutely defeated, "What should I do now?" I asked myself, I rested my head on my hands thinking of what to do. 

"Uh hey... Is this yours?" I looked up and saw a girl, a beautiful girl with blonde hair and blue eyes standing in front of me, "Uhm... Hello?" she was waving her hand in front of my face, I snapped out of my trance. 

"H-hi..." I managed to reply, "Is this yours?" she held up a piece of paper, "Ah y-yes, that's my letter." I replied and she gave it to me, "Thank you. Thank you so much." I told her, "No problem." she smiled and with just that my heart suddenly started beating faster and I felt chills down my spine and that's not normal for someone who lived all of his life in freezing temperatures.

There was an awkward silence and I blame myself since I can't form any words to say, she may have also felt the awkwardness I was expelling, "Bye." she said and started walking away, "I should say something." I thought, "Come on, Gunvald." I bit my lip, "Uhm... Wait!" I managed to voiced out but it came out more like a whisper so I didn't know if she heard me but thankfully she did since she looked back at me. 

"She turned around. That's good. Now I need to say something." I was racking my brains trying to come up with anything to say, "I... Uh..." I was muttering nonsense, "D-do you know where the principal's office is?" I asked, "Oh. Is that where you're going? I can take you there." She offered, still with that beautiful smile of hers, "Uh... Thanks again." I took my bags from the bench and walked with her. 

"I-I'm Gunvald. Gunvald Osborn." I introduced myself, it took a few minutes of contemplating and gathering of courage before I was able to introduce myself, "Gunvald... That's a cool name. Hi Gunvald, I'm Enid Sinclair. Nice to meet you." She smiled once again.