XXXVII. There's still Hope

Third Person's POV

Ajax smirked seeing Gunvald in pain, "The thing I injected you with, that's causing the excruciating pain you're feeling right now, is Gorgon's Blood."

Gunvald's POV

I saw Ajax kneeling down with his head on the ground, he was begging but I don't care, I just knew I needed to end this, for my parents and for me as well so I was getting ready to pound his head to the ground with one blow when I saw him lunged forward and pricked with me something. 

As soon as he did that, I felt the worst pain I've ever experienced. It felt like all the muscles in my body is being torn apart, every bone in my body is breaking, and scorching lava is flowing in my veins. I stumbled down on the ground, clawing at myself trying to ease the horrific feeling of being torn apart. I lost my yeti from as I dropped to the ground, tossing and turning, my vision was extremely blurry close to being blind and I was sweating buckets even in the cold breeze of the snowy mountains. 

At that instance, when the pain started reaching the point of unimaginable, I started thinking about wanting to die. But I saw her smiling face, shining brightly, and it gave me strength to push through so I thought about those who were important to me, my friends at Nevermore and Enid, just to take my mind off the pain even if it's only for a little while.

Third Person's POV

Ajax was walking around Gunvald, "Fun fact about Gorgon's Blood, you'll be dead in 3 hours and in those three hours, your body will experience pain like you have never before. Some say it's not the poison that kills you but the unrelenting and unending suffering you go through." Ajax explained gleefully, "But before that I need to do something first." Ajax walked to a dead tree and picked up a medium length branch and he started hitting and beating Gunvald with it, he only stopped when the branch broke.

 Gunvald was bloodied and bruised, "WOW! That was invigorating!" Ajax exclaimed as he looked at Gunvald, who was still in so much pain from the Gorgon's Blood and the beating. Ajax leaned down and grabbed Gunvald by the neck, "Should I just kill you right here, right now?" Ajax said tempted to finished the job he started, "But the boss told us to bring you alive." he said as he threw Gunvald to the ground, "Luckily for you, I also got the antidote with me but I'll inject the antidote later when you're about to die so just that I can see you in more pain." Ajax stated as he played around a vial holding something liquid inside, "Let's have more fun, shall we?" he started looking around for another branch. 

While on the cliff, Enid's petrification was beginning to undone. It started from her face, down to her shoulders, and to her foot, she fell down to her knees and gasped for air. "G-Gun... G-Gunvald." Enid stuttered, she tried standing up, putting her hand on her knee for support. 

Enid just noticed the bodies of two werewolves lying on the snowy ground, "I need to get to him." she said to herself as she slowly made her way towards the forest where Gunvald's scent was the strongest. 

Enid was still a bit shaken up and even stumbled from time to time since she hasn't recovered all her strength yet, she closed her eyes and focused on detecting his scent when she started hearing a loud screaming. 

Enid walked hurriedly using the trees for support and when she got a look of what was happening, she put her hand on her mouth in shock to see, Gunvald lying on the ground in pain with blood splattered around him. 

Then she saw Ajax, walking towards Gunvald dragging a large branch, "Round 2!" Ajax exclaimed as he started beating Gunvald with it, all Gunvald could do was scream in agony. 

Seeing what was Ajax doing to Gunvald made Enid fell into rage. She held the necklace as she started transforming into a werewolf and immediately ran, on all fours, towards Ajax and Gunvald's location. 

Ajax was in mid swing when Enid slashed him with her long and sharp claws, Ajax screamed in pain as a deep gash running along his chest to his shoulder but what surprised Ajax the most was seeing his right arm on the ground still holding onto the branch. 

Blood was spraying everywhere, "AHHHHHH! MY ARM!" Ajax shouted, grabbing the remaining part of his arm that was still attached to his body.  

Enid reverted to her human form, with her hand still on the necklace, "What did you do to Gunvald?" she asked, glaring at Ajax, Ajax didn't reply as he slowly started turning pale because of the blood loss. 

Enid pushed Ajax towards a tree with her forearm on his neck, "Tell me!" Enid declared, Ajax started snickering which turned to laughter, "I got no time for this?" Enid grew out her claws and pointed them just under Ajax's chin, "Tell me or I swear to God, I'll stabbed you in the neck and make you choke in your own blood." Enid threatened, Ajax smiled, "T-time? Yeah, that's something he doesn't have much left.", "What are you saying?", "I injected him with Gorgon's Blood." Ajax smirked, Enid's eyes widened, "You know what that means, do you? Nothing can save him. He's dead already, he just doesn't know it yet.", "No... No..." Enid released her hold on Ajax as she stumbled backwards.

"Like I told you, you picked the wrong side." Ajax grinned as his complexion turned paler and paler, "Antidote!" Enid realized, "There's an antidote for Gorgon's Blood, the blood from the right side which can heal anything." she continued, she pinned him against a tree, "Where's the antidote?", "Antidote? There's no such thing as that." , "I know you're stupid but not that stupid, who carries a poison without the antidote to it. Give it to me.", "You mean this?" Ajax pulled a vial from his pocket with his left hand, "Then go get it!" he threw it away and Enid reacted immediately but when she turned around trying to get the vial, Ajax reached in and pulled out a gun, aiming at her back. 

Ajax grinned as he was about to pull the trigger when suddenly something  grabbed his remaining arm and neck, it was Gunvald. 

Gunvald's appearance was horrible, he looked like he was about to die at any second. 

But he mustered all his strength to protect Enid, with blood flowing down the corners of his mouth and nose, "I... I-I told you I'll kill you, didn't I? I-I always keep my promises." as Gunvald turned to full yeti, his grip on his neck became tighter and tighter, Ajax was turning purple and he was trying to say something but nothing was coming out.

Gunvald stared at Ajax's eyes as he snapped his neck, as life slowly drained from his eyes and his body started to limp, Ajax managed to pull the trigger.

It didn't hit Enid but it hit the vial instead which shattered it and scattered its contents on the ground. Gunvald turned back to human instantly as both his and Ajax's body crumbled to the ground. 

Enid was dumbfounded seeing, the vial get destroyed right before her eyes. The one thing that could save Gunvald's life is now gone, "NO! NO! NO!" Enid shouted as she tried scooping the liquid and broken glass on  the snow, cutting herself in the process. 

"E-Enid..." she heard a whisper, "Gunvald." she raced towards where he was, "Gunvald... Hey... Hey, I'm here." she said, "I-I'm sorry..." she stared crying, "I-it's not your fault." Gunvald's voice was getting softer, "There must be a way.", "It's okay." Gunvald smiled at her, "NO, IT'S NOT! I STILL WANT TO DO MANY THINGS WITH YOU. I CAN'T LOSE YOU." Enid exclaimed, "So, I'm not giving up." she wiped off her tears, "How long has it been since he injected you with the Gorgon's Blood?" she asked Gunvald, but Gunvald was nonresponsive. 

"Hey... HEY! STAY WITH ME!" Enid slapped him a couple of times which made him wake up, "A-about 2 hours ago." Gunvald managed to answer, "Based on what I read, we still have an hour to figure things out." Enid said as she set up one hour timer on her watch.

"But where can we get an antidote for Gorgon's Blood?" she asked herself, "N-Nevermore might have some." Gunvald suggested in a drunken-like state, Enid looked at Gunvald with shock, "Of course! Where will it be other than the school for 'freaks'."