XXXIV. A Blast from the Past

Third Person's POV

Down in the town, Enid suddenly heard echoes which sounded like cries, "That's not a good sign." a local stated, "Why is that?" Enid asked, "Those are the cries of the beast of the mountain. It was not heard for 10 years but today, it hasn't stopped for hours." the local replied as he walked away, Enid instantly knew who the beast of the mountain was, "Gunvald...". She headed towards the mountain where the source of the echoes was. 

Enid's POV

The cries and wailings stopped about 20 minutes ago as I started climbing up the mountain based on a local's instruction. I still don't have his location and tracking him by scent is a bit hard because of the strong gust of wind. As I got higher and higher, it was getting harder to breath but I pushed through and walking, mainly sinking, in knee deep of snow was not making it any easier.  

The fog that surrounds everything started to lift up a bit and that's when I started seeing fallen trees, craters on the ground, and wreckages all around the area, they were certainly an aftermath of a battle. 

I knew I was on the right track when I got a whiff of burnt wood and roasted meat, "Gunvald." I declared as I walked faster and faster until I reached an opening of a cave, similar to Gunvald's back in Nevermore. 

Third Person's POV

Enid approached the cave cautiously, not knowing what or who was in there. Then Enid's hearing picked up a subtle crunch on the snow but when she turned, all she saw was a blur. 

She felt being grabbed and slammed on the tree, the force of the slam made a cracking noise on the tree trunk. It all happened so fast that she wasn't able to do a thing. 

The being that was holding her raised its giant fist ready to break the tree along with her but when she looked at it, she recognized who was pinning her on to the tree, her fear turned to a combination of joy and sadness. 

"Gunvald?" Enid's eyes filled with tears, the being staring at her was Gunvald in his full yeti form, he slowly reverted back to his partial form, loosening his hold of Enid in the process. 

"E-Enid?" Gunvald was in disbelief seeing her here which he thought would never happen again, "W-what are you doing here?" he asked, "I... I want to help you." Enid replied, "You should go. You shouldn't be here." Gunvald declared, "I just want to make sure you're okay." Enid said, "I'm fine. There. Now, you can go." he started walking away but Enid pulled him into a hug, it took Gunvald by surprised, he always forgot that Enid is stronger than ten men combined.

"W-what are you doing?" Gunvald asked, "It's okay. I'm here now. You're not alone anymore." Enid looked at his eyes, when Gunvald heard those words he melted into Enid's arms and rested his head on her shoulders as he turned back to human.  

Gunvald hadn't realized how badly he needed the hug, he wanted to cry but he physically couldn't shed anymore tears so he just stayed in Enid's arms silently thinking of his parents. 

For the first time in days, Gunvald was not thinking of revenge instead he was thinking of how lucky he was to have someone like Enid by his side. 

Gunvald looked at Enid and gave him a weak smile, "Hey..." Enid said, "Hi... Thanks." Gunvald replied, "Thanks for what?" Enid asked, "For everything." Gunvald embraced her, "You're welcome. I'm your girlfriend, this is the least I can do." she told him, Gunvald perked up a bit upon hearing Enid's declaration, "Girlfriend?" he followed, "You don't want to?" she asked, "Of course, I do. It has a nice ring to it." he smiled. 

Gunvald pulled Enid into the cave which was his former home, illuminating the inside was a bonfire in the middle made from the fallen tree trunks surrounding the area.

"Is this where you live?" Enid asked as they sat by the fire, "It was." Gunvald replied, Enid could hear the pain in his voice and nobody could blame him, seeing the place you grew up in and the place full of memories in ruins and shambles would surely break anyone's heart. 

"Uh... What's this?" Enid saw a piece of paper peeking through the snow, she pulled it out and saw a picture of Gunvald's family, "Uhm... Is this your parents?" Enid handed it to Gunvald, he took the picture and examined it. 

"Yeah... I-it's my mom and dad. This was taken about 5 years ago." Gunvald stared at the picture longingly, Enid moved closer to Gunvald and wrapped his arms over his shoulders. 

"I... I-I still can't believe that I'm never gonna see them again." Gunvald stated as his voice cracked, "I should have never left. I could have helped them." he continued, "They wanted you to be safe. If you didn't left and went to Nevermore, we wouldn't have met." Enid consoled him, "You know I still remember the first time we met. You were looking for a letter." Enid said trying to get his mind off the death of his parents, "Yeah, me too. I was starstruck when I first saw you. I knew then and there that I like you." Gunvald smiled at her, "Really?" Enid asked and he nodded, Enid leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. 

- - - - - 

The fire was out as Gunvald and Enid slept soundly inside the cave. But suddenly Gunvald sat up and looked out in the distance, "Enid... Enid... Wake up." he was rocking her back and forth, "Hmmm?" Enid slowly opened her eyes, "What's the matt-" Enid tried to say but Gunvald cut her off, "Shhh...", "Hear that?" he whispered, Enid still not fully awake, sat up and listened. 

Behind the gust of wind, the continuous crunching of snow and cracking of sticks could be heard. 

Enid's eyes widened, "APEX?" she asked and Gunvald nodded. "What will we do?" Enid asked and Gunvald's expression immediately changed, "Stay here." he told her, Enid instantly knew something bad was about to happen but before she could do anything Gunvald raced out of the cave and into the white veil of the snow. 

Gunvald turned to full yeti as he ran into the forest, using all of his heightened senses to identify the number of enemies and to locate where they are. 

"1... 2... 3... 5... 10... 15..." he counted then he started picking them off one by one. 

Gunshots could be heard but it didn't do them any good as the snow was slowly dyed red with the blood of Gunvald's enemies. 

Gunvald showed them the true capabilities of the beast of the mountain, ripping them limb by limb, slamming them to trees, throwing them 20 feet in the air, and smashing their heads like watermelon. 

Gunvald left one alive to be interrogated, his arms and legs were broken but could still talk without any problem, "I'll only ask you this once. Where is your base and who is your leader?" Gunvald asked in his beast voice, "Please... I don't know anything. Please, don't kill me." the guy begged but Gunvald just looked at him unbothered and raised his foot then a loud crunch echoed in the forest. 

While Gunvald was roaming around, looking if he missed someone, a roar echoed through the mountains. 

"Enid!" Gunvald exclaimed as he sprinted back to the cave just to find it empty. 

"Enid! Enid!" Gunvald, in his partial yeti form, called out, he closed his eyes trying to widened the range of his hearing. 

"Enid, where are you?" he thought when he heard voices of people talking. He immediately ran towards the source and he saw near the edge of the cliff, four people. 

A completely petrified Enid in her werewolf  form, two guys wearing tactical vest clad in all black, and another one with a black trench coat and a bonnet on his head. Gunvald immediately knew who they were and his killing intent seeped out of his body. 

"Miss me?" Ajax said with a huge arrogant grin on his face.