XL. The Past Bites Back

Third Person's POV

While Nevermore mourned their loss, the APEX army outside of the wall were starting to open up a way inside, with their continuous labor, their determination and tenacity were becoming fruitful.

Not long after, the first APEX soldier infiltrated the Nevermore Academy grounds. 

- - - - -

Enid woke up on the chair next to Gunvald, her eyes still swollen and red. She turned to her left wishing yesterday was just a nightmare but it was not. She saw Gunvald still lying peacefully with a flower resting on his chest and all around the bed. She wanted to cry again but her tears were all dried up. She leaned in and kiss him on his forehead, "I still can't believe it that you're gone. I love you and I always will." 

After cleaning up, Enid exited the room and met Xavier in the hallway and he was carrying a brown paper bag. "Uh... Hey. I brought you something to eat." Xavier offered, "Thanks. I'll eat it later." Enid took the bag, "How are you feeling?" Xavier asked, Enid just looked at him, "Sorry. Dumb question.", "Where are the others?", "Maybe at Principal Blake's office. It's where we hold our plannings and meetings.", "Let's go there." Enid stated, "Alright." Xavier agreed.

Both Enid and Xavier walked towards the office, "By the way, is Mr. Bjornson okay?" she asked, "Who?" Xavier asked, "The pilot. Old muscly guy." Enid replied, "Oh! He's fine. The others brought him to our temporary medic's station in the quad." Xavier answered, "Uhm... Does he know... about Gunvald?" Enid asked with her voice wavering by the end of the question, "No... Not yet. He was still unconscious the last time I check up on him." Xavier told her and she just nodded. 

The doors of Principal Blake's office opened and the others who were busy talking and planning stopped when they saw Enid. "Don't worry about me. I'm here to lend my help. We need all the help we can get to fight against the army that the APEX brought." Enid tried breaking the awkward silence that filed the room, "You know, you can rest a bit longer if you want to. We can still manage on holding the fort on our own." Bianca declared, "No. It's okay. I need this. He... He would want me to do this." Enid gave her a sad smile, Yoko went to her and embraced her, "Thanks." Enid told Yoko, "So what happened when I was gone?" Enid wiped off the forming tears under her eyes, "I can fill you in with that." Xavier remarked, "When you left to find Gunvald... Uhm... that same night the APEX started attacking the town. They killed anyone they came across and destroyed the establishments. The sheriff called us to help for the evacuation of the people of Jericho so we opened our doors for them. To protect all of us, Principal Blake erected the wall of vines and they have been trying to break in ever since." Xavier explained, "How long do you think the wall of vines will hold on?" Enid asked, "Not much longer." a voice came from the front door, it was Principal Blake, she was still weak from conjuring a grand amount of magic. 

"What's the plan?'" Enid looked at Bianca, "When they break through we have no other choice but to fight. That's all we can do. That's what Gunvald would do." Bianca declared, "I agree with Ms. Barclay. We'll fight." anger could be heard from Principal Blake's voice. 

Suddenly, a horn sound echoed all throughout the grounds. "They're here." Principal Blake said, "Task the students who could fight to prepare for battle." she instructed, Bianca immediately relayed Principal Blake's order through the walkie-talkie.

When Principal Blake and the Nightshades went out, Enid was surprised to see the number of students who joined willingly to fight for the upcoming battle. The Fangs, Furs, Scale, and Stoners all joined hands as they were inspired of the bravery and courageousness of Gunvald. 

Birds started flying off trees inside the forest signaling the arrival of the APEX army, the sheer number of the army almost covered the entire tree line of the forest. The army were composed of werewolves and the one leading the group was a rugged man wearing a tactical vest and smoking a cigar. 

"Since I'm a good person, I'll propose a deal. Give us the yeti and we'll let you all live." he announced, rage boiled inside Enid as she heard those words.

She wanted to attack but Xavier hold her off, "I know what you're feeling but... we need to calm down." he said as he gritted his teeth and his hand started to turn white because of how tight he was holding his bow, "Leave or your blood will flood these grounds." Principal Blake retorted which made the leader of the army smirk, "Feisty! I like that! I gave you a chance but if you seek blood then we'll give it to you." he announced as the army behind him started transforming into werewolves, he grinned as he put out his cigar before ripping the skin off his face and his body exposing the menacing wolf snout and sharp teeth, the huge frame and fur covered muscle. He was much bigger and more terrifying compared to the other werewolves. He let out a loud roar before leading them to battle.

"It's day time so there's no one other than me who could wolf out. How could we fight them with this much disadvantage?" Enid thought but Xavier bumped her shoulder and pointed out to the Furs, "Watch this.", the Furs started wolfing out, "How?" Enid asked, "When you showed us your necklace last time, I thought it was familiar and when I checked the bracelets we found all over the Nevermore every time we fought against them, they were almost identical. It never occurred to me that it was what they use to transform even when there was no full moon not until I saw your necklace so now, we have a fighting chance." Xavier replied.

"Let's do this." Enid joined the other Furs and started wolfing out as well while Xavier positioned himself with the other archers preparing to engage as soon as Bianca gave the order but Principal Blake suddenly exclaimed "Don't attack yet!", Bianca was confused of the order but she followed and instructed the others. 

Principal Blake stepped out in front and held out her hand, muttering foreign-like phrases as green energy started swirling around her. The ground shook as huge vines burst out of the ground which surprised both sides but it then started attacking, slamming, smashing, wrapping, and throwing the members of the APEX all around the place. But it took a lot out of Principal Blake as she fell to her knees and cough out blood after finishing the spell.

"Archers! Light them up!" Xavier commanded as they shoot fire arrows up in the sky, it landed in front of the huge vines where they set up traps as preventive measures, it lit up numerous boxes of dynamites which they found stored in their weapons vault. The first explosion caused a chain reaction which made the other boxes explode too, the chain of explosion covered a huge area  that reach some parts of forest. 

The students of Nevermore watched as the explosion caused mayhem, chaos, and destruction of the school grounds.

Everyone was anticipating the aftermath but when the smoke cleared there were still a huge amount of werewolves left standing, "I never thought that the dynamites would take them all out but I wished it had." Bianca muttered, "Ready for battle! Charge!" she lead the students into the field to fight off the remaining werewolves. Even though after the magic spell and explosions, they were still outnumbered 3 to 1. 

Enid charged in without fear, she embraced the beast within her and showed no remorse to her enemies. She ripped them apart one by one through the use of her overwhelming speed and agility, she already took down about 15 enemies in a span of just a few minutes. 

The other Furs were holding their own as well, the archers were providing support to Fangs, and the Stoners were harnessing their abilities to immobilize the enemies as the Furs finished them off. 

When things were just about to be going for the Nevermore students, the leader of the APEX's werewolf army showed his otherworldly strength, he was on another level, knocking down the students with just a swing of his arm. 

He turned back to human and shouted, "Emeline Linnea Blake, are you done already? Are you letting your students do all your dirty work for you?", "How? How could he know my name?" Principal Blake thought, "You must be wondering how I know your name." he said as he kicked a student away.

"Bjorn Osborn, Lisa Callaway, and Emeline Linnea Blake, I have been searching for you for a long time. You massacred my whole family so I will do the same. You and the kid are the only ones left." he declared as he approached Principal Blake.