LII. Fighting a Losing Game

Third Person's POV

"This is getting interesting." John declared.

- - - - -

As Gunvald walked away from Enid and the others, Enid sat down and stared at Gunvald's figure as he walked towards the field, "Let's go, Enid. We need to get far from here." Xavier put his hand on her shoulder, Enid just continued to watch watch what was happening through the blurry ice.

"I'm not going anywhere." Enid told him, "I know how you feel but we need to go. Gunvald did all of these for us, we can't waste it." Xavier said, "Then lead the others to somewhere safe but I'm not going anywhere. I'll see this to the end." Enid replied her eyes still glued to the almost unrecognizable form of Gunvald.

"Okay then if you're not going, I'm not going anywhere as well." Xavier sat beside her, "What are you two doing? We need to move." Bianca raised her eyebrow seeing Enid and Xavier sitting near the ice wall.

"Enid said that she won't go anywhere so I'm here to accompany her." Xavier turned his head to Bianca and she sighed, "It seems nobody is going anywhere.", "What do you mean?" Xavier asked, "Everyone refused to leave, even the injured wanted to stay and help in anyway they can."  Bianca declared, "Plus if Gunvald, in the rare chance, does lose, there is nowhere we can go anyway that they can't find us. So we're really burdening Gunvald with everything," she followed. 

Every student, faculties, and even the civilians, who seek shelter in Nevermore, lined up along the ice wall to show their support for the one, who was giving his all and fighting for them. 

Gunvald's POV

I managed to do something but controlling my ice powers was harder than transforming into a yeti. 

Using ice powers need immense amounts of concentration and energy while transforming into a yeti only needs anger. 

"I don't know how long I can hold this so let's do what we can." I thought as I imagined a scene from one of the comic books I read, I held out my hand towards John and I imagined blasting ice from it and it worked, I closed my hands to stop it and I saw both the minotaurs shielding John from the ice blast. 

"You really thought you could get to me that easily. You need to take out the officials before you could get to the king." John smirked as the two minotaurs charged again, "Ice blast." I thought but nothing was coming out, "Sh*t!" I shouted in my head as one of the minotaurs tackled me, I tried punching his sides but he wasn't showing any reaction. 

Then I saw the other one closing in, I tried getting away but I couldn't move anywhere so I decided to take the impact hoping I could handle it but when the punch hit me right in the face, I blacked out for a few seconds before regaining my consciousness.

I turned back and saw another punch coming in, I tried thinking of anything then I got an idea from one of the wrestling VHS my dad loved to watch, I grabbed the torso of the minotaur holding me and spun him around making him kick the other then picked him up off the ground and slammed him down head first. 

I immediately went back up and raced towards the other one and threw a barrage of punches but it was still not doing anything, he threw a wild punch which I dodged so I threw a counter to his side where the liver usually is and it still did nothing. 

A solid punch to the liver usually drops the opponent to his knees, whatever species it might be but this one doesn't show any pain, I tried again and again but still nothing, he just takes the punch and continuously attack but I noticed it was a tad slower than before. 

Third Person's POV

"He's slower!" Gunvald thought as he started to realize something, he moved back a bit putting distance between them and it didn't charged forward. Gunvald looked at the other minotaur and he was still stuck in the ground, unmoving. 

"Maybe they're not as invincible as I thought... They don't feel pain but they still accumulates damage." Gunvald's hypothesis became more plausible when blood was trickling down on the corners of the mouth of the minotaur he was fighting.

"This changes everything." Gunvald smirked as he began to charge forward, he roared as he clenched his fist and began a barrage of punches, the goal was to hit him in as many areas as he can to damage him and impede his movements. 

It was working, Gunvald decided to  administer a decisive blow so he mustered his strength to his right arm and wind up the strongest punch he could ever do and it landed flat on the minotaur's snout and Gunvald could feel the bones broke because of the impact, he flew quite a distance but he managed to get back up and head towards Gunvald but he wasn't as fast as before and his snout was clearly broken as it swung side by side following his steps, "I'll end your misery." Gunvald set his foot on the ground and in a burst of speed and one swift movement, he ripped the minotaur's head cleanly from his body. 

Gunvald threw the head right on John's feet, who just smiled at him, "Bravo!" John clapped, "But you still have another one to fight." he said, "Oh yeah. I forgot to tell you that if one of them dies, the other one goes berserk and gets significantly stronger. Good luck." John held a thumbs up, Gunvald turned around and saw the other minotaur growing bigger. 

At first, Gunvald and the minotaurs were the same size but now, the minotaur was almost twice the size of Gunvald's yeti form, the minotaur roared with ear shattering intensity before turning his attention to Gunvald and swatted hm with incredible speed that Gunvald wasn't able to do a thing as he flew straight and crashed onto the ice wall. 

Cracks form all throughout the ice wall but it held up, Gunvald coughed up blood and reverted back to his partial yeti form, "I broke a few ribs." he felt his sides then he saw the minotaur inching closer, he concentrated on making an ice block to shield the attack but the punch broke through the ice block and hit Gunvald on the right side which sent him rolling along the length of the ice wall. 

Gunvald landed in front of Enid, "Are you okay?" he heard her say but before he can reply, another punch came for him, he tried putting his guard up but being only in his partial yeti form, he couldn't stop the full brunt and still felt the strength of the punch. 

The impact created a crater on the ground and laying on the center was the battered and bruised body of Gunvald, who was now reverted back to his human form. 

Gunvald was barely conscious, blood was covering his vision and he couldn't move any part of his body anymore. 

The minotaur was winding up another punch, "This is it, huh? I'm sorry mom and dad. It seems I'll be joining you a bit sooner." Gunvald thought, he turned his head and saw through his blurry vision the silhouette of Enid, "I'm sorry Enid." he closed his eyes, ready to accept his end, "STOP!" when a loud shout made the minotaur froze mid swing.

John slowly made his way towards where Gunvald was situated, "Ohhhh. You're not looking good." he said, "You never had a chance. Maybe foolishness runs in your blood." he tilted his head , "I offered your dad the same deal and he did the same thing as you and it caused him his life and your mom's." John leaned closer to Gunvald. 

"And I'll do the same to you as well. I'll show you what happens when you refuse John Stone." John stared directly at Enid, "Start with her and then... KILL THEM ALL!" John exclaimed as the minotaur turned towards the Enid and the people on the other side of the ice wall.