XXII. Something's Not Right

Third Person's POV

"Gunvald, don't close your eyes. You still have something to tell me, remember?" she told him and Gunvald slowly opened his eyes, "Oh... yeah..." he whispered, "Enid... I... I like you." Gunvald declared before falling unconscious.

Enid wasn't able to react and left frozen on the spot from what Gunvald declared since the others came and carried him on a stretcher to the infirmary. 

- - - - - 

It was a miracle that after fighting pack after pack of werewolves, there was no casualties on Nevermore's side. The students were able to fight back against those beasts with just their wits and weapon training.

After the attack, classes were suspended since it was deemed too dangerous for the students but at the same time, the students were prohibited from leaving the premises of the Nevermore Academy since they will become a much easier target for APEX.

Principal Blake made an announcement about the attack that happened and told the students about APEX but she still didn't share all the information especially about Ajax.

Nevermore Academy is in total lockdown and patrols comprised of different group of students were formed to reinforce safety. 

It has been 5 days since the attack, the students joined in the repairs and renovations of the damaged buildings of the Nevermore Academy. Most of the injured were treated and healed and already left the infirmary but Gunvald was still there, completely healed and okay, he's not just waking up and the nurse don't know why.

Enid's POV

I opened the door to infirmary and saw Xavier doodling beside Gunvald's bed, we have been switching on looking after him. "Hey." I greeted, "Hi Enid." he greeted back, "Any changes?" I asked, "No... The nurse has no idea why he hasn't woke up yet." he told me, Xavier packed his things before leaving. "See you tomorrow." he waved at me as he closed the door behind him. I stared at Gunvald who was sleeping peacefully, "Did he meant what he told me?" I thought as I pulled the chair closer to the bed and I held his hand. 

"Gunvald, can you hear me? Everyone's worried about you. It's been 5 days, why aren't you waking up?" I told him, "We still have something to talk about." I continued, gripping his hand, "Please wake up." I laid my head down on our hands. Then I felt a hand touch my head, I looked up and saw Gunvald smiling at me. "Hi. Why so gloomy?" he whispered, I got up quickly then embraced him in a tight hug.

Gunvald's POV

Everything was dark and I couldn't move an inch. "Where am I?" I thought, "I'm dead." I told myself, "Oh man. Mom will kill me." I continued, "Enid... I want to see her again even for the last time." I stated then I began hearing something from somewhere, "Gunvald, can you hear me? Everyone's worried about you. It's been 5 days, why aren't you waking up?", "Who's that? Where is it come from?" I asked, "We still have something to talk about." the voice continued, "Enid?" I felt warmth coursing through starting from my hand and throughout my body then a light suddenly shone brightly that it engulfed the darkness that surrounded me. 

I opened my eyes and saw Enid bowed down beside me and her hand holding mine, I put my hand over her head and she looked up with wide eyes,  "Hi. Why so gloomy?" I smiled and she jumped onto me and wrapped her arms around me.

Enid let go and I could see tears forming in her eyes, "Is it really been 5 days?" I asked her, "How did you... You heard me?" Enid replied, "Kinda... I thought I was dead at first since it was really dark but I started hearing your voice then there was this light then I saw you there." I told her, "Yeah. It's been five days." she said, "I also heard something about something we need to talk about. What is it?" I asked her and she looked at me shocked like I said something wrong, "What?" I asked, "What's the last thing that you remember?" she asked me, "Uhm... After fighting the werewolves, I remembered walking in pain until I exited the forest then I saw you and the others and after that... everything is a blur." I groaned when I felt a jolt of pain in my head, "You... You don't remember anything after that?" she looked at me, "I... No. Wait. Should I? Did I do something?" I asked, "No. Just forget about it. It wasn't important." she stated. 

My gut was telling me that there was something I'm missing, "En-" I was cut off by my stomach growling loudly, Enid immediately stood up, "I'll get you something to eat." her voice was firm and has a hint of anger then she walked out of the infirmary, "Wait! Enid!" I called for her but she just left.

I got out of the bed and stretched to check if anything was still aching but everything was completely fine. I went in front of the mirror and looked at my back, all I see was a four huge scars spanning from below my shoulder down to my lower back. "This scar is somewhat cool." I remarked then the door opened so I quickly cover up, I thought it was Enid but it was the nurse.

"Uhm...Hi." I smiled, "It seems you're fine." she said, "Y-yeah. Thank you for taking care of me." I thanked her, "It's my job. Also I heard that you are one of the reasons why we have no casualties. We should be thanking you." she replied, "It was a combined effort from everyone." I responded, "I'll allow you to leave if you feel any pain and discomfort come back here." she smiled before heading out.

Enid came back with a tray full of food and I immediately noticed a hint of irritation on her face, "Yeah... I really did something." I thought, "Here." she placed the tray on a table, "Thanks. Uhm... I-", "Since you're okay. I'll head home and get some rest of my own." she stated and left, not letting me finish nor waiting for my reply.

"What did I do now?" I sat down in front of the food and dug in since it's hard to think on an empty stomach as I tried to recall what happened that night.

I just finished my food when the door opened again, "Gun!" Xavier exclaimed, "Hey!" I replied, "Enid called and told me that you woke up already." he told me, "Here. Some change of clothes." he put a bag on the table, "Thanks." I went through the contents of the bag, "Oh yeah, Where's Enid? Did she go somewhere?" Xavier asked, "Uh... About that, I think she's mad at me about something." I told him, "Mad at you? What made you think that?" he asked sitting on the bed while I changed, "Just a feeling. It felt like I said or did something wrong but I really don't remember anything.", "If you feel that way, you really did something wrong. Now that you say that, she sounded mad about something so it was because of you.", "I'm thinking of talking to her again when I get out of here.", "Did you confess already?", "I was about to but the battle against last night interrupted it.", "Sorry about that.", "Don't worry about it. Everyone's safety is much important than me confessing my feelings." I finished changing and we both left to go to the Monstera Hall. 

As we were walking, I heard my stomach growling once again. "Didn't you just ate when I arrived?" Xavier heard it as well, "Yeah but I was out for five days so my body needs five days' worth of food." I explained, "Is that how it really works?" he asked, "I don't know but I'm still starving so head back first and I'll go to the cafeteria to grab something to eat." I waved at him before running towards the cafeteria, I burst through the door and immediately ran to the counter and the servers already knew why I was there and what I wanted so they put plate after plate of every food on trays, "Thank you." I said carrying the trays, "No problem. Come back if you want more." the server stated and I smiled in reply.

I was eating a burger when I heard the door opened, I peeked just out of curiosity then I saw Enid walking in. I finished the remaining burger in one bite and ran towards her but when our eyes met she turned around and left quickly, I was confused but I still ran after her, "Hey Enid!" I called her but she just continued walking, I knew she was ignoring me since it was impossible for her to not hear me.

I caught up to her and grabbed her wrist, "Hey!" I said, she looked at me, "I just wanted to talk." I continued, "Okay. What do you want to talk about?" she replied sternly, "About earlier, if I did or said something wrong, I apologize." I told her and I immediately knew I just made it worse when my danger sense turned on as she stared at me with murderous intent.