XXIX. The Right Thing To Do

Author's Note:

Hey guys! This is King AnoniMus and I just want to say I'm back. Thank you for your patience and for the 5000+ reads which is mind blowing. 

Thank you guys for your support and love. I'll do my best to deliver a more meaningful and beautiful story. 

- - - - -

Third Person's POV

The man smiled and walked closer to Principal Blake's desk, "The deal is simple. Hand over the yeti to us and in return, we will bring back all the students. You may need time to think over it so we'll give you one day to decide. We'll be waiting in the forest. If the yeti is nowhere to be seen this time tomorrow, we'll destroy Nevermore and Jericho." the man said with a menacing grin plastered on his face.

"I hope you make the right decision. I bid you farewell." he tipped his hat before disappearing without making a sound.

Principal Blake slumped back down on her chair after the interaction, "The APEX is more fearsome than what we initially thought. The only species that I know off that can sneak in and out without any trouble are the royal-blooded vampires." she said as she started thinking of what to do. 

Gunvald's POV

Me and the others were talking and enjoying the hot choco when out of nowhere, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. It was like they were telling me something, "Gun? GUN?" I turned my head back to Enid and the others, "Is something wrong?" she asked with worried eyes, "Uh... N-no... It's nothing." I smiled at her, "Who wants a refill?" I asked as I stood up, "We're good." Xavier said, I walked to the kitchen to fill my cup which was still full, I was starting to feel restless because of the sensation that I just felt. 

My gut was telling me something was going to happen, something bad. My cup overflowed since I wasn't paying attention and the hot choco was true to its name as it burned my hand, "Sh*t!" I cursed, "Hey, you good?" I heard Xavier asked, " Yeah... Yeah..." I replied washing my hand with cold water. "What happened?" Enid asked as she took my hand and poured cold water all over it, "I... It's nothing... I just got clumsy." I told her but her face was telling me that she didn't believe a single word and just raised her eyebrow on me.

"O-okay. It's just... My gut's telling me, danger is still lurking and it's close." I told her, she gripped my hand, "Gunvald... You know you don't need to carry all of these burdens, we are all here to carry it with you." Enid looked at me with her beautiful blue eyes, "Yeah. You're right. Sorry.", "There's nothing to apologized for, silly. Let's just enjoy this extremely delicious hot choco that you made. It can even rival the one from the Weathervane." we joined the others back on the table. 

As soon as I sit down, all of our phones went off simultaneously. We all looked at each other before checking our phones, "Nightshades, I need you all in my office right now. It's urgent." I read, "We got the same message?" Bianca held her phone in front of us and it was the same message so we all started heading out. 

"What do you think this is all about?" I heard Enid asked as we came up to Principal Blake's office, the hairs on the back of my neck started standing up once again. "I don't know but I got a feeling about this." I replied and we all went, "We're all here, ma'am." Bianca said, "I got some bad news. The APEX is more formidable than we thought." Principal Blake declared, "I just got a visit from one of them and he was a royal-blooded vampire." she continued and everyone gasped except me.

"Uhm... Mountain man here. What's a royal-blooded vampire?" I asked, "They're considered direct descendants of the first vampire which makes them stronger than the average vampire." Enid explained, "And if the APEX have them, what other species are part of their group?" Yoko continued the thought, "So what you're saying is we have no chance at all?" I looked at Principal Blake, "He... He proposed something, an exchange." Principal Blake looked defeated when she said that, "Exchange? Exchange of what?" Bianca asked and I saw Principal Blake's eyes shifted towards me. 

"He... He told me that they will return all of the students and faculties, they took if we give them..." she stopped like the words were stuck in her throat but I knew where this was going, "Give them what?" the other Nightshades urged her to continue.

"If we give them, Mr. Osborn." she continued and everyone erupted in angry replies except me. "Give them Gunvald?! There's no chance we're gonna do that, not in a million years." Enid exclaimed, "Yeah. I'm with Enid. We don't abandon one of our own." Xavier followed, "I wasn't finish, the proposal was to give them Mr. Osborn or they'll destroy Nevermore and Jericho." Principal Blake told us, the noises and complaints died down instantly and I could feel them all staring at me. 

Third Person's POV

Silence engulfed the room in an instant, "Even so... We... We can't give them Gunvald." Enid broke the silence with her plead, "I know, Ms. Sinclair. It's all up to Mr. Osborn to decide." they all looked at Gunvald, waiting for him to say something. 

"I think we should do the exchange." Gunvald stated and Enid yanked him towards her, "What?! What the hell are you saying?!", "It's the right thing to do.", "No, it's not. We can come up with something else instead of handing you to the people that almost killed you several times.", "You know we can't. We already saw their manpower and now, we know that they have more powerful species in their midst, you think a handful of faculties and a bunch of students can take them on?" Gunvald told Enid, "But..." Enid found it hard to say anything in reply, "Enid, I'm sorry but there's no other way." Gunvald wrapped Enid in his arms, "My dad always told me to follow my guts and my guts is telling me that this is the right decision to make." Gunvald kissed the top of Enid's head and Enid started bawling her eyes out, "I love you, Enid." Gunvald muttered under his breath. 

Enid wriggled out of Gunvald's embrace and took off running without any word, "I'll talk to her." Yoko said following Enid outside, "Hey, are you sure about this, man?" Xavier put a hand on Gunvald's shoulder, "Enid's right, you know. Maybe we can think of something." Bianca followed, "We have no time to argue about this. Me VS everybody else, it's not a hard choice to make." Gunvald replied, "Can I have a moment with Mr. Osborn alone?" Principal Blake spoke and the other Nightshades started leaving the room. 

"Are you sure about this?" Principal Blake asked, "You already knew the answer before you even called us here." Gunvald replied, "You're really like your father. You're always ready to do what is right even in the expense of yourself.", "Yeah, that's what my mom always said.", "I'm sorry. I'm the principal of Nevermore Academy but I couldn't do a thing.", "There's nothing to apologize for. This is my choice." Gunvald smiled at her.

"Oh, right. A package arrived for you." Principal Blake pulled out a large box from behind her desk, "Who is it from?" Gunvald walked closer and read the note attached to it, "It's from Mom and Dad." Gunvald said gleefully and immediately carried it out of the room, "Thanks Principal Blake." he peeked back inside before running off.