XXI. The Fight of our Lives

Gunvald's POV

"What do you mean?" I asked, "He's here! THEY'RE HERE!" he exclaimed and my heart dropped to my stomach, Enid looked at me with worry and fear in her eyes. 

"We're coming. Wait for us." I declared, "Just hurry. I don't think we can hold them for much longer." Xavier said, me and Enid immediately stood up and left some money on the table as we started running out of the restaurant.

"We need to get back as soon as possible." I thought but there was no cab on sight then I thought of just running, "Climb on." I told Enid, "What?" she asked, "Get on my back. I'll run back to Nevermore." I said, "What? Are you joking right now?" she stated, "I'm dead serious. Get on." I kneeled down and removed my shoes, "Nevermore is about 10 km from here. It's about 30 minutes by cab." She replied still reluctant, "I can do it in 10." I declared as I began to transform, "Okay if you say so." she finally agreed and climbed on my back, "Hold on." I told her as I run at full speed.

All I heard while running was Enid screaming for her life, if it was any other time, I may have just burst out laughing but the situation we were in was currently worrying me.

Just like what I said, we got back in 10 minutes. I didn't even had the chance to catch my breath as I hear screams of fear.

"Go." Enid pat my back, "I'll meet with the others to get my gears and join you later." she told me, I nodded and I was about to run towards the battle when she pulled my hand, I turned around, "Don't die." she said with her eyes full of concern, "Of course. I still have something I want to tell you." I responded and before she can say anything, I left.

The situation was worse than I expected, they brought an army of werewolves and since it was not a full moon, the Furs have no chance to fight back even if they wanted to. While I was scanning the battlefield, a werewolf lunged towards me but I dodged and punched him to the ground, knocking him unconscious. 

I started fighting against all of the werewolves I saw, then I saw Xavier leading archers in front of the forest shooting down any werewolves that came out. 

"Xavier! What's the situation?" I asked, "Gunvald! Thank God, you're here. We are completely outmanned. Bianca and the others are fighting inside the forest trying to slow down their progress." he explained, "I'll help them out." I told him, "I'll pay you back for the clothes." I added since the blazer jacket and the polo were already rip to sheds, "Don't worry about that. Just kick their asses." he stated and I smiled before heading inside.

I heard grunting and shouting and I smelled the scent of blood when I stepped foot inside the forest, I hurriedly ran towards the source of the noise and when I broke through the tree line I saw Bianca, Kent, Divina, and Yoko fighting against a pack of werewolves. 

They were visually tired and hurt so I roared as loud and menacing as I can trying to scare the werewolves or even make them hesitate even for a little bit and it kind of work since I saw all of them flinch, I passed by the four and immediately punched the nearest werewolf, then kicked another before he can react, and I turned towards another and slammed him to the ground. 

"Gunvald?" I heard one of the Nightshades said, "It's about time." I heard Bianca said, I went over to them and I saw her clutching her right arm which has a large cut from a werewolf's claw, "Are you okay?" I asked her, "I'm good. Did you and Enid had a great time?" she asked, "Yeah... Sorry for the wait. Go and get treated. I'll handle this." I told them, "You sure?" Bianca asked, I showed her a thumbs up.

The three that I attacked earlier were starting to get back up. They started growling and circling around me. I'm clearly in a disadvantage and they all attacked me at once then I remembered the move I did against Enid so slammed my fist on the ground making a wall of wind around which hinder them from going forward, while they were distracted I grabbed the foot of one of them and used him as club striking the others before running inside the forest since I know I couldn't fight them head on. 

I revert back to my human form to try and messed with their sense of smell, I was hiding on top of a tree and I saw them enter one by one,  I used my ripped clothes as a decoy to further confused them and buy me some time to think of a plan. 

I thought of stealthily taking them out so I turned back to my partial yeti form and started picking them off one by one; I dropped down from a branch and landed on top of one of the werewolves and put him on a chokehold and without much fight and making any noise, he fainted then I hid him under a pile of leaves, I slowly walked towards another who has his back on me, I saw large trunk and used it as a bat and whacked him on the head knocking him out but the noise alerted the others who immediately went over to me, I got no other choice but to fight them head on so I held tree trunk winding up for a swing when one of them was inside my swinging range so I let him have it. 

The tree trunk broke on impact and the werewolf flew to a tree, the two werewolves left, managed to get near me and slashed at my sides, I winced from the pain but I was able to counter the other one with an uppercut when he tried to bite me. Finally, there was only one left, he was growling at me and I was growling back as we were on a standoff.  

I decided to make the first move, I sprinted towards him and threw a punch which he was able to avoid and clawed me in return I was able to dodge, I felt his claws sink and ripped through my flesh as it ran along my back but I was high on adrenaline at this point that I wasn't feeling the pain just warmth of the blood flowing down my back, I gritted my teeth and I threw a left hook with the remaining strength I have which hit him square on the face and it made him lose balance, seeing this opportunity I raced at him spearing him to a tree and another and another one before slamming him into the ground. 

I laid down beside him as I was breathing heavily from exhaustion of fighting werewolves by myself, I wasn't even able to hold my transformation for long and returned to my human from, the adrenaline was slowly losing its effect and the pain from all of the wounds specially the one on my back were coming back tenfold. "There's no time to rest." I thought so I pushed myself up, ignoring the indescribable pain coursing through my whole body and walked out of the forest.

Third Person's POV

Nevermore Academy took the full blunt force of the attack. Buildings were damaged and on fire, windows were broken, the grounds had craters, and over all, it looked like the setting of a war movie.

The werewolves stopped their attack and started to take their wounded and leave which the students also did.

Gunvald's strength was slowly dwindling down due to pushing his body to its limits and blood loss. Even walking began being difficult to accomplish. His vision was doubling which made it hard to find his way out, he was all over the place, stumbling, tripping on exposed roots, and bumping on the trees.

Gunvald used the trees he bumped into for support and it helped him move a bit easier. It felt like Gunvald was walking for hours but then he began seeing light at the far distance seeping between the trees.

Enid and the other Nightshades were helping the injured and wounded when one student screamed, "Something is coming out of the forest.", Xavier immediately loaded his bow with an arrow and aimed at the edge of the forest, Enid pulled out her rapier and the others did the same.

But instead of a rabid werewolf, they were shocked to see a heavily wounded Gunvald. Enid's blood ran cold seeing how badly Gunvald looked, "Gunvald!" Enid dropped her rapier as she run towards him,
the other Nightshades and students followed carrying med kits. 

Gunvald's pale face lit up upon seeing Enid and the others safe, "Thank God, they're all okay." he whispered before his legs started to give out and he knew he was falling but he couldn't do anything about it since his body won't move anymore, he was bracing himself to kiss the ground but an arm wrapped around his body which stopped him from faceplanting.

Gunvald was pale faced and groggy, "Hey Gunvald? Do you hear me?" Enid asked, "Hi." he managed to smile, Enid saw the four huge gash on his back that made her gasp.

"First Aid! We need first aid! He's losing too much blood." Enid shouted at the others, "I feel sleepy." Gunvald said, "Don't. Don't close your eyes, Gunvald. Look at me. Just look at me." Enid told him, "Just 5 minutes." he whispered, his eyelids started to close, "No!" she tapped his face a few times. "Gunvald, don't close your eyes. You still have something to tell me, remember?" she told him and Gunvald slowly opened his eyes, "Oh... yeah..." he whispered, "Enid... I... I like you." Gunvald declared before falling unconscious.