IV. Uncomfortable Situation

Gunvald's POV

"You like Enid, don't you?" Xavier said with teasing smile.

My face immediately felt hot and I started sweating, "I... I... W-what are you saying?" I stuttered through my words, "I'm just kidding." Xavier said but still holding the teasing smile, "But seriously, what do you think of Enid?" he asked, "Uhm... W-what do I think of Enid? E-Enid is nice and so bubbly and outgoing. She's very happy about everything and it rubs on you. She's also very pretty." I was reluctant at first but I replied, "You think she's pretty?", I realized what I just said, "I... Yeah..." I was about to say something but I wasn't able to think of any more excuses, "Hmmm..." Xavier just nodded, "But don't get your hopes up, she already has a boyfriend." he added, "Oh..." I blurted out,  "You okay?" Xavier asked, "Hmm? O-Of course. I don't like Enid that way. I just said she was pretty." I said and forced a smile. 

A bell rang, "What's that for?" I asked Xavier, "Saved by the bell! Thankfully." I thought, "That's the dinner bell which means it's dinner time." Xavier stood up from his bed, "Really? Good. I'm starving. I haven't eaten anything since I arrived here. I could eat a whole deer." I said happily, "A whole deer? Figuratively, right?", "Literally. We, yetis, have a very large appetite." I replied which made Xavier laughed, "Come on! We can't let you get hungry even more." he gestured me to follow him. 

We arrived at the cafeteria and I was looking around the place and it was beautiful. 

The place was completely jampacked, most of Nevermore was there. 

The 4 main cliques of species can be easily distinguished, the Fangs were already enjoying drinking something red in a wine glass and I don't want to find out if its blood or just grape juice, the Furs were loud and messy, gnawing the meat with their teeth and bare hands, pieces of meat were flying all over the place, and they were stealing food from each other. 

I looked at the other side and the Scales were very poised and disciplined, elegant, and displayed proper etiquettes while eating, and the Stoners were eating and chatting and laughing loudly.  

Me and Xavier stood in one of the lines formed. We chatted a bit more and thankfully, he didn't say anything about what we were talking about earlier. 

It took several minutes before I made it in front of the food, there was a large variety of foods displayed. 

"They all look good I can't decide." I told Xavier, "Just get everything then." he said jokingly and I know he meant it as a joke but he has a point so I asked for one of everything. 

I was carrying two trays with 6 plates each and I think I was already on the nerves of the servers but I'm hungry so I didn't care that much, "Hey! You know I was only joking." Xavier's mouth was wide open when he saw me carrying the trays, "Yeah but everything looked so delicious so I got one of everything." I smiled, "Wait... How can you carry so much? It looks so heavy. You need help with those?" Xavier asked as we search an empty table to occupy, "No, it's okay. I'm a yeti, we're naturally strong even in human form." I replied, "I think there's an empty table there." he pointed an empty table at the back corner of the cafeteria, I laid the trays down and placed my plates of food on the table.

I started munching down on my food without rest, "This is so good." I muttered while finishing up a plate of pasta, "This meat is so good as well, much better than what we eat in the mountains." I added, I was enjoying my food wholeheartedly when I got a glimpse of someone and that someone was Enid. 

"If you keep staring at her, she might melt." I immediately turned towards the source and I saw Xavier chuckling while he was eating his sandwich, I almost choked on the pasta I was eating. 

"I-I wasn't staring." I blurted out with some pieces of pasta, "I didn't say anything." Xavier continued eating, "I wasn't staring at Enid." I wiped my mouth, "I never said you were staring at Enid. So you were really staring at Enid.", "I..." I didn't reply anymore and focused on my food instead, ignoring Xavier's teasing smile. 

When I peeked at Enid once again, trying to be not obvious, I saw someone came up behind her and gave her a kiss, "That must be the boyfriend." I thought, I looked back at my food and continued eating but I slowly lost appetite but I still finished everything I got. 

"Are you okay?" Xavier said, "Hmm? Of course, why shouldn't I?" I replied while stacking all the plates, "I'll head back first." I told him, "Ah sure. See you in a few." he replied.

I left the cafeteria and as soon as I stepped outside I felt the cold breeze of the night which was extremely soothing for me since it reminded me of the mountains, I embraced the coldness and continued walking. 

I decided not to go back to the Monstera Hall yet so I headed to the forest which also reminded me of the area around our home back in the mountains, it felt like I was back home. 

"Why am I being sentimental? Is it because of earlier?" I said to myself, "Ha! You don't like her, okay? It's just she's good to you and she's really pretty, the prettiest of all the girls, you saw." I told myself. 

I continued walking, kicking sticks and stones, and listening to the creatures of the night and the rustling of the leaves because of the wind. 

I was sensing everything around me, I closed my eyes and started to meditate. It was something my dad taught me, in his word; "Train your senses. We'll not always be there to protect you. Humans tend to get afraid of us so you need to be able to fend for yourself. Slowly but surely, you must be able to make use of the incredible senses given to us to its full potential." 

As I meditate, I can clearly hear the insects in the bushes and trees and small animals roaming around. I can also smell scents of plants and fresh water. My dad also taught me how to defend myself, boxing, grappling, wrestling, and something he called 'Yeti Martial Arts' so when the time comes that I can control my transformation, I'll know what to do. 

I tried punching a tree with full strength, the tree was broken in half from the impact, "I still got it." I smiled.

I don't know how long I've been in the forest but I felt tired so I started to walk back and exit the forest. I got lost and exited at a different spot from where I entered earlier, "Shoot! Where am I?" nothing was familiar, "Oh no." I muttered so I started roaming the place, trying to find a way back. 

Few minutes of walking around, I saw a house but when I got closer it looked more like a greenhouse, "Was this included in Enid's tour?" I scratched my head trying to remember, "I should have paid attention." I went around to see if there was a path or way that can lead me to the Monstera Hall or any familiar landmark or building. 

While I was approaching the side of the greenhouse, I started hearing giggling noises and laughing. 

"Nice! Someone I can ask for direction." I thought, I walked towards the noise and my developed sense of hearing started to make the noise clearer and it was not only one person but two, a boy and a girl, most likely, and they sound like they were having 'fun'. 

"Oh man, if I approach them wouldn't it make me look like a creep but if I didn't and just listened I'll still a creep. What should I do?" I asked myself moving a few steps back quietly and carefully. 

While I was still stuck on the dilemma I was in, I started smelling something familiar. "This scent, I smelled this before." I muttered, I also started hearing kissing noises and more giggling and some words I'm not comfortable in repeating. "Stop that. *giggling noises* *kissing noises*." I heard the girl said. 

Now I feel very uncomfortable so I slowly started walking back when I heard a crack under my feet, "Who's there?" I heard the girl called out, "This is not good." I felt a sweat trickle down my forehead.