XLIII. Sacrifice

Third Person's POV

Enid managed to stop crying but she refused to let go of Gunvald's arm, "I'm not going anywhere, Enid." Gunvald chuckled, "I already lost you once. I won't take any chances." she replied, Gunvald furrowed his brows, "Lost me once? W-what do you mean you already lost me once? And how are we back in Nevermore? What exactly happened?" Gunvald looked at them confused. 

- - - - -

Xavier and Enid looked at each other  and back to Gunvald, "Yeah, I'm with the lad. What is going on here?" Mr. Bjornson joined,  "What do you remember?"  Enid asked Gunvald, "I... Uh... I was running after Ajax... Then he injected with me with something and then... I saw you standing in front of me." Gunvald replied while rubbing his temples, "W-what happened to Ajax?" he followed, "Don't worry about him, he's gone." Enid quickly replied.

"How can we be sure that you're truly Gunvald? Tell me something that the real Gunvald would only know." Xavier asked, Gunvald smiled at him, "Okay... In our first week of being roommates, you were up late and you were on your phone and you were wat-", "OKAY! STOP! NO NEED TO CONTINUE! YOU ARE REALLY GUNVALD!" Xavier exclaimed cutting Gunvald off, Enid looked at both of them confused. 

"Let's get back to the main topic so what happened?" Gunvald asked, Enid took a deep breath before answering, "You died Gunvald.", her voice quivered at the thought. 

Gunvald's mouth dropped to the floor and shock was etched in his face, "D-died? I died?" Gunvald questioned, "Wait! The lad died? I thought you said he was okay and just resting." Mr. Bjornson was as confused as Gunvald, "I'm sorry I lied. I didn't know how to tell you." Enid apologized, "No worries, lass. Everything seems to worked out okay." Mr. Bjornson smiled.  

"Wait! Uhm... How did I die?" Gunvald still couldn't process the sudden revelation, "You remember Ajax injecting you with something, it was Gorgon's Blood. It's the most potent poison in the both worlds, worlds of humans and monsters. After your fight with Ajax, I brought you to Mr. Bjornson because you told me that he could help and we flew here to Nevermore for the antidote but we were shot down, our plane crashed and... I was few minutes late, when they injected you with the antidote you were already gone." Enid explained, clutching on Gunvald's arms tighter. 

"I'm sorry." Gunvald said as he kissed the top of her head, "What are you sorry for? I should be the one asking for your forgiveness. I let you die. When your heart stopped beating, it felt like my heart stopped too." Enid started crying. 

"No... You actually saved me." Gunvald told her, "W-what do you mean?" she asked while wiping away her tears, "The antidote, it's also Gorgon's Blood, isn't it?", "Yeah.", "But from the right side." they both said in unison, "Gorgon's Blood from the right side isn't an antidote for the Gorgon's Blood from the left side." Gunvald stated, "What?" she asked, "The Gorgon's Blood from the right side's true purpose is that it can bring dead back to life. So me dying was a silver lining." he explained, "But I'm still sorry for letting you feel that way." he followed as he embraced Enid, "I'm just thankful that you're back." Enid replied as she wrapped her arms around his waist, "Me too." Gunvald replied.

"Hmmm... What's this?" Gunvald muttered as he felt something wrapped around his hand, "Oh that! I picked it up back at your cave. I think it belongs to your mom. I just thought you would want something to remember her by." Enid smiled, "Thank you." he rested his head on top of hers. 

"Alright! I'm all for the heartwarming reunion but there's still an ongoing battle happening so hate to break it but we need to help." Xavier declared, "Yeah... I was going to ask about that, since earlier I could hear fighting everywhere, It's APEX, right?" Gunvald asked, Xavier nodded.

"Okay. Let's go." Gunvald said but he felt a tug on his arm, "Enid?" he asked, "D-do you really need to fight?" Enid asked, "Of course, I need to. We need to." Gunvald answered, "I know that... But I already lost you once and I don't know what will happen to me if I lose you again." Enid's eyes were ready to burst in tears.

"I'm really sorry, I don't know what I can say that will make it better and I hate that you feel that way and I am also afraid of losing you guys but we still need to go out there and fight, fight alongside our classmates. I will not be able to live with myself if I backed out of this fight just because I already died once." Gunvald told her, Enid smirked, "That's why I fell in love with you." she pulled him in close and gave him a kiss on the lips in which he gladly reciprocated, "I love you Enid." Gunvald muttered, "I love you too, Gunvald." Enid replied between breaths. 

Xavier coughed loudly, "Okay... Okay... We already know you two love each other very much so can we go out there now and kick evil werewolf asses?" Xavier sullied the atmosphere which made both Gunvald and Enid laugh, "Let's go!" Gunvald shouted as three of them went to the grounds while Mr. Bjornson joined with the other civilians underground.  

- - - - -

Inside the forest

Principal Blake stumbled to his feet as she walked closer to the leader, who turned back to human and was being held by numerous vines, "Smart. It seems he's not dead... yet. But I hate to burst your bubble, this will not change a single thing. We will do what we were tasked to do." he smiled, "And do you really think this vines will be able to hold me for long?" he growled as he transformed and started to break loose, the vines started ripping so Principal Blake was trying to bind him with more but it was not effective as the leader walked closer to her. 

Principal Blake dropped his staff and looked him in the eyes as the leader raised his right hands and was about to slash her with his claws when out of nowhere, a rapier stopped the claws from hitting Principal Blake, it was Bianca. 

"Get her away from here." Bianca instructed, Yoko and Divina came from behind and supported Principal Blake, "No... No... You're no match for him, he'll just kill you." Principal Blake told Bianca, "I know. I'm just buying time for him. I know he'll be here." Bianca replied as she was pushed back by the strength of the leader. 

The leader attacked Bianca continuously and Bianca managed to avoid them but only barely, the leader swiped at her again and she managed to dodge it but she wasn't fast enough to dodge the next, it hit her side and the impact made her roll back a few feet. 

Bianca couldn't get back up as the pain lingered in her side, the leader stood in front of her and was going to deliver the final blow when Principal Blake wrapped her body around her and sacrificed herself as five claws ripped through her flesh and  blood splattered on the ground. 

"NO!" Bianca screamed, seeing Principal Blake protecting her, "I-it's okay... I...-" Principal Blake fell unconscious, "Please no! Anyone please help!" she shouted then she suddenly heard laughter, she looked up and saw the leader back to his human form chuckling, "Feeling helpless?" he mocked, Bianca just stared at him with distain and tears in her eyes. 

"Don't worry, she isn't the only one who will die today." he grinned at her but then five arrows were shot right at him, he blocked it with his forearm, "Reinforcements... Good, I'm started to get bored." he replied as he tried sensing where the arrows came from, "WHAT DID YOU DO TO OUR PRINCIPAL?!" a roarish scream enveloped the area, the leader flinched upon hearing it then out of the shadows was Gunvald, in his partial yeti form, followed by Enid and Xavier. 

"I was waiting for you." the leader was able to get a hold of himself, "Come at me! I want to kill you with my own hands." he growled, he charged at Gunvald as he became a werewolf at each stride, "You took the words out of my mouth." Gunvald roared.