XXXVIII. Time is Running Out

Third Person's POV

"But where can we get an antidote for Gorgon's Blood?" she asked herself, "N-Nevermore might have some." Gunvald suggested in a drunken-like state, Enid looked at Gunvald with shock, "Of course! Where will it be other than the school for 'freaks'."

- - - - - 

Enid's POV

Gunvald was lying on my lap and he looked horrible, his complexion was pale and his lips were turning purple, blood and bruises covered his body. 

"I need you to be strong. For me, okay?" I told him as I moved the hair covering  his face, he smiled, "We need to get back to Nevermore as fast as possible." I put him on my back as I raced down the mountain, I transformed so I could harness my werewolf powers in its fullest. 

It only took me about 10 minutes to reach the town, "If I go the airport, Gunvald would be dead before we even reach Jericho." I told myself, thinking of other means of transportation.

"M-Mr. Bjornson..." I heard Gunvald whisper, "Who? C-can he help us?", "Y-yeah... He's a family friend.", "Where is he?", "J-just run straight until you see an old warehouse." Gunvald managed to say before I felt him fell unconscious, "J-just hold on." I sprinted towards the direction Gunvald pointed to. 

Just like what Gunvald said, I saw an old, rugged, seemingly falling apart warehouse. "HELLO? IS ANYBODY THERE?" I shouted on top of my lungs so that I could get the attention of whoever is in there.

Then I saw an old but fit and muscly man came out, he was wearing a tattered overalls with smudges of oil and grease, "Stop screaming or you'll attract the bears living in the area. So what do you want?" he asked, "Uhm... Mr. Bjornson, I need your help." I said, "How do you know my name? Who are you?", "Gunvald told me." I showed him Gunvald, "Oh... Is that really Gunvald? What happened? Wait, how can you carry him such ease in your tiny frame?" he opened the gate and wondered as he walked towards us, "Sir, we have no time for that. He needs help ASAP." I told him, "Yeah... Yeah... Alright. What do you need?" he asked, "A ride. We need to go to Jericho, Vermont in about 30 minutes. Can you do it?", "Of course I can. Anything for the Osborns. Come on." he smiled as he ran inside. 

I followed him and I saw a little plane which was shining and devoid of scratches, dirt, or grime, a complete opposite of the warehouse and its pilot. "Get on! I'll just check a few things and we're off." he instructed so I went up the plane and laid Gunvald to a seat, "Seatbelts." Mr. Bjornson declared as the door closed behind him. 

"Are you ready, lass?" he asked from in front of the plane, "Yes. We need to hurry." I replied, seeing Gunvald starting to look worse than before.

The plane started humming into life and moving towards the long and wide patch of land, "Put on your seatbelts and Gunvald's too. We'll be at Jericho in 15 minutes." he said confidently, I didn't believe but there's nothing else I can do but trust him. The plane accelerated so fast that I almost sunk in my seat. 

Third Person's POV

Mr. Bjornson's plane was soaring through the sky at intense speed. "So what happened to Gunvald?" Mr. Bjornson asked Enid, who was wiping blood of Gunvald's face, "I... Uhm..." Enid was mumbling, not knowing if she should tell the truth, "Don't worry, lass. I already know that Gunvald is a yeti." Mr. Bjornson said, "So you know what happened to his parents?" Enid asked, "Y-yeah... I-I went to visit them when I saw a group of people going down the mountain, I hid because I thought they were poachers but then I saw them  carrying a stretcher with a body on it. I was right in a way, they were poachers not just normal ones. I knew who was on the stretcher but I didn't want to believe it so when I was sure the coast was clear, I ran up to their cave, only to see the wreckage left, broken trees, broken furniture, bodies, and blood stains on the snow." Mr. Bjornson choked on his words, "I tried finding Bjorn, Lisa, and Gunvald but I scoured the mountain but I didn't find any sign of Lisa and Gunvald. My guess was right, they got Bjorn. I knew Bjorn would do anything for his family and I just hoped that Lisa and Gunvald escaped." he followed, "Thankfully, Gunvald's safe, kind of. How about Lisa?" he asked, "S-she... She didn't make it." Enid replied, "Oh." was all Mr. Bjornson able to say, "What happened to Gunvald, lass?" Mr. Bjornson asked again, "Oh... He found out about what happened to his parents so he flew to see it for himself, that's when the people who killed his parents came after us as well. He fought them off and in doing so, he got poisoned." Enid explained, "And the antidote to this said poison is in Jericho?", "Hopefully." Enid said, "Thank you, lass." Mr. Bjornson said with a smile, "I... Uhm... For what?" Enid mumbled, the statement caught her off guard, "Gunvald is like a son to me and seeing how well you take care of him. I know that he found a good one. I know Bjorn and Lisa would think the same." Mr. Bjornson replied which made Enid blush. 

At exactly the 15th minute mark they reached the skies of Jericho but what greeted them was blazing establishments and ruins of former buildings, "Hey lass, you need to see this." Mr. Bjornson called Enid, the sight made her gasped. "Is this really Jericho?" Enid couldn't believe what she was seeing, "We need to get to Nevermore." Enid said, "Point the way." Mr. Bjornson said as Enid sat on the co-pilot seat and directed the plane to Nevermore Academy. 

When they approached the area where Nevermore was, it was not there instead there was a huge wall of tree-like vines surrounding it. 

"Principal Blake's magic." Enid smirked, "There." she pointed at the wall of vines, "Alright. Hold on." Mr. Bjornson maneuvered the plane and as they got closer and closer, the plane was hit with something which caused the destruction of one of its wings. Warnings and alarms rang inside the plane, "Sh*t!" Mr. Bjornson cursed as he got a glanced of an army armed to the teeth outside the wall, "Hold on!" Mr. Bjornson tried stabilizing the plane as best as he can while Enid made his way towards Gunvald, who was still unconscious. 

"We're going to crash! Brace for impact!" Mr. Bjornson shouted as the plane barely making it over the wall, Enid wasn't able to get back to her seat and when she looked out the front, the ground was coming to them fast. 

Enid took a deep breathe in and closed her eyes, accepting what would happen to her when she felt a large figure embraced her as the plane hit the ground.

Xavier's POV

I was staying at one of the watchtowers we constructed when I saw in the distance, a plane coming through our way. 

"Uhm... There's a plane." I reported through the walkie-talkie, "What?" I heard Bianca replied, "There's a plane." I repeated, "Hey Xavier... We have no time for your nonsense." Divina joined, "Reserved this line on important matters." Bianca declared, "I'm not joking. There's really a plane and it's coming up fast." I explained as an explosion rocked the plane and I saw its wing detached from the main body, "IT'S COMING DOWN! I REPEAT IT'S COMING DOWN!" I shouted in the comms, the plane managed to avoid hitting the wall of vines and it crashed down on the ground, just a few feet away from where I was. 

I immediately went to investigate and when I got there, the plane was in pieces. 

I went to the cockpit to check if there was anyone and I saw an unconscious man, I pulled him and checked if was still alive and thankfully, he was still breathing.

I continued looking around the vicinity of the wreckage. "HELP!" I heard a scream from of the wreckages, "HELP!" I heard it again and I found where it was coming from, "I'm here! I'm here." I said as I tried moving the panel of the plane pinning her down.

"Xavier? Please hurry!" the voice said, "Enid! Is that you?" I asked recognizing her voice, "You need to hurry. Gunvald's dying!" I heard panic in her voice, "AHHHHH!" I mustered all my skinny body got gather and I managed to move it away.

I saw Gunvald's body full of cuts and bruises as blood flowed out of the wounds, Enid came out under him with no scratch on her. "W-what happened?" I asked but Enid transformed before immediately running while carrying Gunvald. 

Third Person's POV

Enid didn't even wait for Xavier as she sprinted faster than she ever ran before when her watch started beeping, "NO! NO!" she exclaimed in her head as she reached the infirmary which surprised the nurse and Caelan Etnam, she laid him down on one of the beds, she reverted back to her human form as the beeping of her watch continued.

"Antidote for the Gorgon's Blood!" Enid exclaimed, "W-what?" Caelan askedconfused of what was happening, "HE NEEDS THE ANTIDOTE FOR THE GORGON'S BLOOD!" Enid shouted, Gunvald started convulsing and foam started forming in his mouth, "NO! NO!" Enid started to panic,  "Here!" the nurse made her way to Gunvald and administered the antidote. 

His convulsions stopped but his breathing stopped. The beeping from Enid's watch stopped as silence engulfed the whole room.