XXVI. A Missing Yeti

Xavier's POV

"I know. It's just... Being a yeti, he's normally alone and don't have any grasp on his feelings so when he fell for you and told you his feelings and you rejected it, he didn't know what to do and how to react. It truly broke him. I don't blame you, I just feel sorry for the guy." I told her then the help came carrying a stretcher.

When Gunvald woke up, he looked like he woke up from a nightmare, he was in dead sweat and his eyes were scared. He might be thinking that all of these were just a nightmare but when he realized it wasn't, I saw how dejected and sad, he was. 

His bright green eyes were now dark and dead, and he was completely spaced out for minutes at a time. When he told me that he wanted to be alone, I agreed since I know he hasn't deal with what he was feeling completely and when I got out of the door, I heard him crying.

- - - - -

I decided to go to the cafeteria to get Gunvald something to eat even though he said he wasn't hungry, I saw Enid there staring blankly in space while playing with her food. 

She saw me and immediately stood up from where she was and ran towards me, "How is he?" she asked, "Not good." I replied, "Don't feel bad. It's not your fault. I know he thinks it too so don't beat yourself up." I added but Enid wasn't having any of it, "Should I go to him?" she asked, "I don't think that's a good idea. Just wait for a few days." I told her, "Okay." she replied.

I went back to the infirmary with the food, I knocked at the door but there was no answer, I knocked again but still no one answered. 

"Gunvald, I'm coming in." I said as I opened the door and he was not there anymore, I immediately took my phone out of my pocket and dialed his number, "Come on, answer." I said but the call didn't went through, I tried looking for him in the Monstera Hall but he was not there and I went through all the buildings in Nevermore but I couldn't find him. 

I decided to go to Principal Blake and tell her what happened, I knocked on her door and I heard her say, "Come in." so I went inside and before I could say anything, she simply said, "You don't have to worry about Mr. Osborn. Just let him be for a couple of days or how long he needed.", "You know where he is?" I asked, "I do. Yetis are originally isolated species so being alone is good for them. Mr. Osborn just needs time for himself." Principal Blake explained, "I understand. Thank you." I told her and she smiled at me.

Third Person's POV

It has been three weeks since Gunvald's onslaught on Mother Nature and nobody has seen him since then. Xavier kept going back to Principal Blake to ask for Gunvald's whereabouts but she just kept telling him to wait. 

It made Xavier think that Principal Blake has no idea where Gunvald really is and she's just leading him to believe that she knew.

Enid is in her room holding her phone. She knew that Gunvald was not seen or spotted since three weeks ago. Enid tried calling him a couple of times but her calls wouldn't go through, it was like Gunvald's phone was off. 

Enid felt the urge to look for him since she was feeling guilty and felt like everything happened because of her so she took a jacket and went outside.

Enid closed her eyes and used her advance sense of smell to track down Gunvald's location but it was proving to be hard to get something since it has been three weeks, any trace of him would have been washed away or disappeared because of the elements. 

While Enid was walking around trying to find something that could lead to him, she bumped into Xavier who was also looking for Gunvald, "What are you doing here?" Xavier asked, "I... I'm looking for him." Enid replied, "Any luck?", "No, you?", "Same. I've been asking Principal Blake but she wouldn't tell me anything.", "This is all my fault." Enid declared, "No, it's not. If someone is to be blamed here, it should be me." Xavier told her, "There's nothing good in blaming each other. We should just find him and make sure he's okay." he continued, "Yeah." Enid agreed, "Do you have something that belongs to Gunvald?" she followed, "Uh yeah. In our room, there's plenty of things there that belongs to him." Xavier answered. 

Both of them made their way to the Monstera Hall, "Welcome to our room." Xavier said, "What do you need?" he asked, Enid started to turn into a shade of red, "Uhm... Something with his scent.", Xavier turned to her with a smile on his face, "So you want to smell him? I didn't know you were into those things." Xavier teased, "I'm not! I just need something to base his smell on so that I could track him." Enid explained with her face still bright red, "I'm just kidding." Xavier chuckled as he went through Gunvald's laundry, "Will this do?" he asked pulling out a shirt, "Yeah, that will do." Enid replied as she took the shirt and sniffed it, she was a bit surprised because it didn't smell bad at all even though it has been stuck there untouched for three weeks. 

"Uhm, hello? You seem to be enjoying smelling his shirt." Xavier teased her and she pulled away and threw the shirt to his face, "I got his scent, let's go." Enid stood up and immediately walked out of the door, her face resembled the color of tomato of how red it was, Xavier was chuckling as he followed her.

When Enid and Xavier got out, Enid quickly got something. She ran inside the forest and Xavier followed her, Enid looked like a bloodhound as she made her way inside the forest and she stopped, Xavier was busy catching his breath, "Thank... you... You finally stopped." he said in between breaths. 

Enid and Xavier find themselves in front of the lake, they don't have good memories here since this is the place where Gunvald almost drowned. 

"Gunvald's not here. Why did you stop here?" Xavier asked, "The scent stops here." Enid replied then she saw something laid out on a rock on the other side of the lake, "Look." she pointed at the rock, they walked towards the suspicious object and when they got close, they saw it was a shirt and jogging pants and it was being dried in the sun. 

"This must be him, right?" Enid asked, "Yeah, no doubt. This is the clothes I gave him." Xavier replied, "This means he must be close." Enid looked around for any clue or tracks that could lead them to him, "Footprints!" Xavier exclaimed, Enid took a look and it was really footprints but not ordinary footprints, it was too big to be human. 

"Big foot?" Xavier asked, "Obviously, it's from a yeti." Enid rolled her eyes, "Oh yeah. They're from the same family after all." Xavier grinned, "Come on. Let's follow it." Enid pulled Xavier as they follow step by step, the huge footprints embedded in the ground.

Enid and Xavier were walking for quite a bit when they managed to reached a clearing of some kind and what they saw made their jaws dropped in awe. 

They can't believe their eyes when they saw a fully livable house in a cave and in front of it was a vegetable plantation, "Wow! Gunvald did all of this in three weeks?" Xavier asked, "I don't have any idea." Enid replied, still astonished. 

Then they suddenly heard a loud roar, coming from inside the cave house, which made them stop on the spot, it felt like if they move even an inch they will be ripped apart. 

"Don't take another step. Turn around and leave!" the voice shouted in a beastly manner, "G-gunvald... It's us, Enid and Xavier." Enid managed to reply in a shaking voice, "Yeah, man. We just want to make sure you're okay. We haven't see you for weeks now." Xavier joined, "I'm okay." the voice sounded more human now, "So go back." Gunvald followed, "Uhm... Can't we just stay for a bit and talk?" Enid suggested, there was silence for a few minutes before the door opened, Gunvald was wearing a hoodie and jogger pants. 

"Hi..." Enid greeted, "Hello. Uhm... Welcome to my cave." Gunvald greeted, "Hey man. This place is awesome." Xavier chimed in, "Are you guys hungry? I made some stew." Gunvald asked, "Sure. Thanks." Enid said as the two them went inside Gunvald's cave.

If the outside surprised Enid and Xavier, the inside even more so. No one would ever think that a cave can be turned into full furnished house, with makeshift chairs and tables, drawers and it even have a fireplace. 

"H-how did you do all of this?" Enid asked, "My dad taught me." Gunvald answered. Gunvald served a bowl each of his stew, "Woah! This is delicious. You can cook?" Xavier remarked, "This is really good." Enid followed, "My mom taught me how to cook." Gunvald replied as he took a bowl of his own, "Where did you get the meat?" Xavier asked, "I hunted." Gunvald said, "You can hunt too?! What can't you do?" Xavier exclaimed while looking at Enid, Enid furrowed her eyebrows and kicked Xavier on the shin which made him silently shout. 

"There's plenty more if you want." Gunvald told them, "I'm good. Thank you." Enid said, "Me too." Xavier replied.

There was a silence, "What do you want to talk about?" Gunvald asked while washing the dishes, Enid looked at Xavier and Xavier understood that she wanted to talk with Gunvald alone, "I'll get some air and check your vegetables." Xavier told them as he stepped outside.