XVI. APEX

Gunvald's POV

"Hey, Enid?" I asked, "Hmm?" she hummed a reply, "Are you alright?" I asked, "Why are you asking me that, you're the one who got beat up?" she replied, "I may be hurt physically but I know you are hurting even more." I told her and she didn't say anything and we continued walking to the infirmary.  

- - - - - 

When we arrived, the nurse looked surprised. "What happened? It's you again. Did you get in a fight again?" she asked as she helped Enid lay me down on the hospital bed, I just smiled at her.

I got patched up relatively quickly since I sustained less injuries compared to my first trip here, "You have less wounds than before so you'll be fully healed in an hour or two." the nurse told me, "Thanks ma'am." I said, "I hope I won't see you anytime soon." she stated and I gave her my thanks once again before leaving.

Just like what the nurse said, the pain I was feeling was lessening by the minute. I could probably walk by my own but I was still letting Enid support me since I like having her close to me. I think Xavier knew what I was doing since he kept smirking at me. We got outside and  I breathe in and out a couple of times, the cold breeze was extremely comforting. "I think I'll go first. I can't stand the smell of the lake on me." Xavier told us, he then followed it with a huge grin and a thumbs up.

I was left standing there with Enid still supporting me, "Uhm... How about you, Enid? I think I can walk by myself home." I asked her, she was quiet. "Is she mad at me? I think I overstep earlier." I thought since she hasn't said anything since we got out of the forest, "I'm sorr-", "Let's go for a walk." she said cutting me off, "Sure." I replied.

We started walking and I wondered why she decided to go for a walk, "Gunvald, there's something I haven't told you about Ajax." she said, "He... Ever since he came back, there was one thing he repeats over and over. He wants me to join him and this group, 'APEX'." she continued and I stopped, "APEX... He really is a part of those people." I muttered, "You know about APEX?" Enid turned around and asked, "No but I know there is a group, a group that hunts our species." I told her and she gasped, "H-hunting... Hunting us?" she clarified and I nodded, "And Ajax is one of them..." she told me and her voice was full of sorrow, "I'm sorry." was all I can think of to say and it must be a shocker to hear especially since it was his boyfriend, "I... I-I'll head back now, Gunvald." she walked away without waiting for my reply, "APEX..." I went back to the Monstera Hall. 

- - - - -

The truth must be so hard to hear for Enid since she was completely silent throughout the morning, "Hey, you think Enid is okay?" I asked Xavier, "Hmm?" I heard him reply, "She's been quiet since all morning." I continued, "You tell me. I left you two early." he replied, "It's... complicated..." I told him, "Then you should talk to her." Xavier said then the bell rang, "And that is what I'll do." I stood up and walked towards Enid.

"Uhm... Hey, Enid." I greeted and she looked up and her eyes were swollen and sad, she didn't say anything, "Do you want to get lunch with me... and Xavier?" I asked, "No, it's okay. I don't have any appetite." she took a couple of seconds before she replied, "Uhm... Okay, if you change your mind, just give me a text." I said and she smiled but behind it was sadness.

My mind was on Enid the entire time we were eating, "Even when your mind is somewhere else, the food still finds its way to your stomach." Xavier commented, "It's Enid... I'm worried for her." I responded, "That's what happen when you're in love." he told me, "What? In love? Me?" I replied, "Don't play dumb. It's obvious.", "I'm not playi-... Is it really that obvious?", "Ha! Gotcha! Well yeah. Didn't I told you since day 1 I knew you got the hots for her.", "I think I do but I don't think it's the right time to act on it especially after everything that happen to her.", "Maybe... But I think you should.", "I'm... too afraid. We just got back on friendly terms and I don't want to jeopardize it just because of how I feel for her.", "Being afraid shouldn't stop you from being happy." Xavier advised, his words hit me like a ton of bricks, I wasn't able to finish my food after our conversation. 

That afternoon, I was pondering about what Xavier said. I'm so trap in my thoughts that I didn't even realize classes were already over.

"Hey! Hey Gunvald! What are you waiting for?" I felt a tap on my shoulder, "Hmm? Wait, where's everyone?" I asked,  "Is the class over?" I added, "Yeah, about 5 minutes ago." he replied, I looked around and we were the only people left.

"If you're looking for Enid, she already left." Xavier told me, I just nodded, "If you're still thinking about what I said earlier, you should just go for it." he said to me, "Yeah...Yeah, I probably should. Go big or go home." I replied, "There you go." he smiled at me, I stood up and ran out of the room, looking for Enid.

"How long was I daydreaming?" I asked myself since I couldn't find Enid anywhere, I decide to use my senses to look for her, I was scanning through every sound and noise that may came from Enid or give me clue to where she is, by her scent but she didn't wear her favorite perfume so it was hard, and by sight, I was scouring the distance just to get a glimpse of her blonde hair but I got nothing.

"Maybe she went back to Ophelia Hall." I started making my way towards there, when I got there I was not sure what I should do. I was walking back and forth in front of her building, trying to gather courage for what I was about to do when my ear picked up a faint shout, I immediately turned towards the forest where I knew it was coming from.

"Don't tell me..." I ran inside the forest, "I really don't want to get injured again. The nurse may be the one to end me if I came in the infirmary wounded again." I told myself as I got closer and closer, when I was able to hear it clearly, I knew it was Enid and she's conversing with someone.

"Why are you here?! You have no right to be here." I heard her shout, I stopped a couple of feet away since I know that Enid has good hearing, "I just want to see you again. I know last night was a bit unorthodox but I want to be with you again." I realized who she was talking to, I felt anger brewing inside and I wanted to ripped his head off of his body, making him the trigger was the right call since just hearing his voice was enough to make me transform but I stopped myself from doing so and just continued eavesdropping on their conversation.

"What?! You broke up with me! You!" she said in anger, "I know but if you come with me and join APEX, we can be together. APEX is the future for us." he replied, "There it is again, APEX... Is it true that APEX hunts down monsters like us?" she asked still full of anger, "Hunt? We're not hunting species like us, we're recruiting. APEX is set to make us, different species, the top of the food chain. We're stronger, faster, and much better than the normies so why should we be afraid of them. Once we get enough recruits, we'll cleanse this world of normies." I heard extreme arrogance and confidence in his voice like he truly believed every word he uttered and I felt chills when I heard their true objective.

"You're mad. You're completely delusional." Enid replied and her voice lost its anger and was replaced by fear, "No, we're not. You need to join us, Enid. We can get back together." he told her, "You're not the same Ajax, I fell in love with. You're just a psychopath." she replied, "Is it because of that Gunvald guy? I saw your little escapade in town. Is he the one you replaced me with?" he asked, "H-how did you know that?" Enid asked, "I knew it. He really was the one I saw." I said to myself, "You don't have to worry about him, he has ruined our plan plenty enough time so we took care of him." he said cockily, I started having trouble holding back my anger, "Just come with me, Enid. I want you to be by my side." he added, "I rather die than join your cult!" she shouted at him. "Suit yourself. I warned you. Next time you'll be seeing me, I will not be so lenient like now." he told her then I started hearing footsteps walking away and another sets of footsteps walking towards my direction.