XXV. The Roar that Shook Nevermore

Third Person's POV

Gunvald let out a gut-wrenching roar, full of the emotions which was heard by everyone in Nevermore.

The roar echoed through out the premises of Nevermore. Every student in their rooms, in the gym, and in the grounds and even the teachers, heard the nerve-wracking roar of an Alpha species. Everybody immediately ran outside as they try to make out what that roar was. Every species cower from hearing the menacing roar, they felt this innate feeling of bowing down to a stronger species.

Principal Blake was in her office shuffling through documents and plans when she heard the roar, she felt the hairs in her arms and in the back of her neck stood up. It brought back a terrifying memory, something she desperately wanted to forgot. Principal Blake spun her chair towards the large open window overlooking the forest, "Yeti." she muttered.

Back in the day, when Principal Blake was still a teenager, she went on numerous adventures with Bjorn Osborn and Lisa Callaway, Gunvald's parents. But in one of their adventures, they stumbled upon a not so friendly pack of werewolves. 

They tried to reason with them but they were more like animals in a form of human rather than humans in the form of animals, these rabid beasts immediately attacked and Bjorn and the others fought back as hard as they could but a pack of werewolves was obviously too much for three teenagers, all of them garnered wounds fighting them off but Lisa was critically wounded. 

The area was covered in the smell of blood and this triggered something inside Bjorn as they were about to be ripped to pieces, Bjorn let out a loud earth-shaking roar just like what she and everyone heard today.

Bjorn started turning and grew in height and mass and he was beginning to be covered with snow-colored fur and his eyes were red as red it can be, focused on the werewolves. 

Bjorn was standing between the werewolves and the others, he let out a roar before lunging forward towards the werewolves.

Bjorn lost control of himself when he saw his friends bloodied and injured and practically massacred the pack of werewolves; the screams of pain, whimpering, ripping of flesh, and splatters of blood covered the area, and Bjorn's white fur were stained red from the blood of the 7 werewolves that attacked them. The sight that Principal Blake witnessed that day still haunts her.

Principal Blake took the microphone and announced, "Nobody is allowed to enter the forest until further notice. Again, nobody is allowed to enter the forest, those who will be caught going in will face suspension or an immediate expulsion from Nevermore.".

All the students heard the announcement and even though they were extremely curious, nobody wanted to risk it.

The Nightshades were called to Principal Blake's office, the six out of seven members showed up.

"I'll task you to guard the forest, patrol around the boundary and prevent anyone from entering." Principal Blake tasked them, "Where's Gunvald?" Yoko asked, "Oh no." Xavier realized, "It's him, isn't it?" he added, "Who's him?" Kent asked, "The roar, it's from him." Bianca deducted, "That's right. That's why, you shouldn't allow anyone to get inside the forest. Mr. Osborn is from a very dangerous species and he still hasn't fully controlled the full capabilities of his power, I think something is affecting him that made him lose control." Principal Blake added.

The Nightshades left Principal Blake's office and made their way to the forest, "Something happened between you two?" Bianca turned to Enid, who was dead quiet and looked uncomfortable since earlier, "W-what made you say that?" Enid replied, "Don't lie to me. He went to me earlier looking for you and I told him you were in the forest, training so you can connect the dots." Bianca told her, Enid let out a breath, "He... confessed to me." Enid told Bianca, "And?", "I... rejected him.", "What?! Why did you did that?", "I... I don't really know why." , "Poor guy." Bianca replied as the roars inside the forest continued.

It has been hours and the roars finally died down, Xavier was visually concerned since he already knew the reason why Gunvald was like that. Enid was starting to regret her actions and she decided to go inside to the forest to check on Gunvald.

Gunvald has spent every ounce of strength he had and he slowly revert back to his human form, his surrounding was composed of crater after crater in the ground and broken trees everywhere.

Gunvald's POV

I don't know exactly what happened but I started to feel extremely tired like I ran a marathon a million times, I couldn't move my body anymore and I was just lying on the ground, "We can't..." I remembered the way she said it and I wanted the ground to swallow me up, "I shouldn't have done it." I thought as I slowly closed my eyes.

- - - - -

"We can't... We can't... We can't..." is all I could hear, then I saw Enid standing with her back at me so I walked towards her and I put my hand on her shoulder, "Enid?" I asked, "You think I could like you? You?" she declared and she started laughing then I woke up, full of sweat, and I was met again by the blinding white light. My whole body was aching and it was worse than before, "Hey..." I heard someone said, I looked at my side and it was Xavier, "Are you okay?" he asked, I didn't reply and I just tried to sit up, "Hey... You can't." Xavier tried to stop me from sitting up, "I'm okay." I told him as I groaned as I pushed myself up into a sitting position, "You hungry? Do you want anything?" he asked, "I want to be alone for a while." I replied and he looked at me with concern in his eyes, "Okay. I understand. Call me if you want anything." Xavier pat me on the shoulder before leaving the infirmary and when I heard the door closed, I let it all out and I started bawling my eyes out, something I have never done before.

I have never felt so weak before being a yeti made me think I'm strong, stronger than anyone else, a greater species but right now, I don't feel that strong, I feel like a human. I don't like feeling this way so I wiped of my tears and stood up from bed which was accompanied my wincing and groaning but I managed to got up and I decided to leave the infirmary without anyone knowing and go to my cave. It was a difficult task, it took an hour which was normally just under 10 minutes of walking to get to my cave. I lied down on my makeshift bed and I could feel the ringing of my phone in my pocket but I ignored it and turned off my phone since I wanted to be alone, completely isolated from others.

Xavier's POV

As the roars began to silence, I decided to go inside the forest to check on Gunvald. I was accompanied by Bianca and Enid, which I know was the cause of all of this. "I don't want to pry on personal stuff but he confessed to you, didn't he? And you rejected him?" I asked Enid as we enter the forest and she didn't say anything, "Got it." I added as we made our way to a clearing which was not there before. I have my mouth wide open when I saw the destruction of the area and in the middle was a naked Gunvald laying down, with no movement. I hurried towards him and wrapped him in my robe, Gunvald may look skinny but he weighed a ton so me, Bianca, and Enid couldn't possibly carry him to the infirmary so Bianca called for help. 

I was left alone with an unconscious Gunvald and an awkward Enid, I checked on Gunvald and his knuckles were completely bloodied and wounded, also his forehead had a huge cut on it. "He really let loose, huh?" I thought, "You know, he didn't want to confess to you. He said that he didn't want to jeopardize what you have but I urged him to do it. I shouldn't have." I told Enid, "I... didn't have the intention to hurt him." Enid replied, "I know. It's just... Being a yeti, he's normally alone and don't have any grasp on his feelings so when he fell for you and told you his feelings and you rejected it, he didn't know what to do and how to react. It truly broke him. I don't blame you, I just feel sorry for the guy." I told her then the help came carrying a stretcher.