XLIX. Not Just a Yeti

Third Person's POV

"You are stronger than you realized. You are not only your father's son but also mine. And I am no regular human." his mom smirked at him. 

- - - - - 

"What? H-how did you do that?" Gunvald was confused seeing his mother do something he never saw before, "What was that?" he asked again, "Magic." his mom smiled, "M-magic? You have magic?" he was even more confused at what his mom said, "All these years, I never saw you do something like that before. I thought you were a normal human." Gunvald said, "I am. At least when I had you. I kind of lost my powers." his mom told him, "Lost your powers? Now, I'm more confused." he asked, "It's a very long story, I think it's much easier if I show you." his mom replied, "Show me?" Gunvald raised his eyebrow, his mom approached her and put her hand over his forehead. 

A blue hue emanated from her hand and her memories rushed to Gunvald's mind. 

Gunvald's POV

"Show me?" I thought as I saw her hand over my face and then all I saw was blue when my sight came back, I saw around us was huge flashes of her memories, it was like watching a hundreds of movies all at once but I wasn't overwhelmed, I started to understand what she meant. I saw when she was still a little girl, the first time she used her powers, then when she attended Nevermore Academy, and then when she saw dad for the first time. "Is that dad?" I asked, "Yeah... You two looked identical but different in many ways. Since your dad was the mysterious, grumpy, and quiet type. It took quite a while before he opened up to me." she said and I could feel the happiness in her voice when she was talking about dad. 

Then there was a memory of her, dad, and another girl, who seemed familiar, "Wait! Is that Principal Blake?" I was surprised when I realized who it was, "Yep. We went on many adventures back in the day. She and I were the same." she replied, then I saw a battle ensued between them and a pack of werewolves, I saw her getting severely wounded by one of the werewolves, I saw Principal Blake trying her best patching her up by conjuring various plants which I think were medicinal but suddenly I was caught by surprise by a loud roar when I looked at the memory, it was a bit hazy, maybe because mom was losing her consciousness because of blood loss but I knew that type of roar only came from a yeti losing control. 

It was dad consumed by rage and losing control, it was a bit of a horrifying sight to witness since blood and flesh was going everywhere since he demolishing the pack by himself. 

"Dad lost control too?" I asked, "Of course. It happened frequently when we were attending Nevermore. He just learned to aim it." my mom said, "So do you understand now?" she looked at me, "Yeah..." I told her, "When I said you're strong, I meant it. You are stronger than you give yourself credit. Remember this, you are the son of a Yeti...  and an Ice Witch." 

Third Person's POV

Lisa moved closer to Gunvald and grabbed his face and rested her forehead on his, "It seems my time is up." she stated as Gunvald's eyes widened as they separate, "What do you mea-" he was cut off when he saw her mother's figure slowly disappearing, "No... No, y-you can't go." he mumbled, "It's okay. We have already broke the rules of the natural world, this extra time was a gift. I only wished that I could see you grow into a great man just like your father and have a family of your own. Whatever happens, always remember your father and I will be by your side. I love you, my little yeti." she declared, "I love you too, mom. Tell dad as well." Gunvald embraced her mom one last time as she smiled at him as a stray tear flowed down her cheeks turning into a snowflake before she disappeared into a cold gust of icy wind. 

Time started to move again, Ajax was surprised to see Gunvald standing in front of him totally fine and unscathed, "What? How? What was that voice from before? How are you okay?!" Ajax was blabbering as he can't figure out what was happening, "It doesn't matter. Enid's life will end right here and now." he declared but the hand around Enid's neck slowly loosen, "No... No... Why isn't this body listening to me?!" Ajax burst in anger, "It's because this is my body in the first place." Gunvald wiped of his tears and told him, "No! No! No! I was supposed to win this time!" Ajax said, "You almost though, you had me at one point but I always stand back up that's how I was brought up. I am thankful to you, you know. You made me realize that I am more than a yeti, I am my mother's son." Gunvald smirked as his eyes turned blue and his hands started glowing as cold wind wrapped around both of them, "W-what's happening?" Ajax muttered, guarding himself from the gust of wind blowing at him. The cold breeze grew stronger and stronger funneling around them, forming a blizzard. 

Ajax's form slowly froze until only his eyes could move, Gunvald walked closer, his eyes still shining bright blue, "Repent in the afterlife courtesy of Bjorn and Lisa Osborn." he stated before crushing the last fragment of Ajax's consciousness out of existence with a flick of his finger. 

Gunvald managed to take back control of his body but he realized that he was still holding Enid by her neck so he immediately held her body gently and laid her down but something was not right, Enid was not breathing. 

"No... No... E-Enid..." he mumbled, he tried resuscitating her through CPR but the tears in his eyes followed by his shaky hands and his restless heartbeat didn't do him any good as he couldn't perform it properly. Bianca, managed to wake up first, saw Enid laying down pale and lifeless so she immediately crawled and ran towards both of them, "Move!" Bianca exclaimed as he pushed him out of the way and began performing CPR.

The other Nightshades, who woke up, saw Bianca performing CPR on Enid and they went to Enid's side, they saw Gunvald and after what he did to them, they were extremely wary and on guard around him. 

They took defensive stances and put themselves between Enid and him, "Is she-" Gunvald tried coming closer, "Don't come any closer." Xavier drew an arrow on his bow and aimed at him, "T-that wasn't me. I-I was-", "Don't. Just stay away." Yoko pointed her rapier at him, she looked at her with a mixture of fear and hatred.  

Gunvald stepped back but was still keeping an eye on Enid, "Please. Please." he muttered in his head until he heard a faint heartbeat and a gasp of air, "Thank you..." he said under his breatha and collapsed down to his knees knowing Enid was alive. 

Gunvald looked around him and absorbed the destruction he brought, even though he wasn't in full control, it was his body so it was his doing. He couldn't blame anyone but himself and maybe Ajax was right after all, he did really won this time. 

"Take care of her." Enid looked at Xavier, "Promise me, you'll take care of her." he told Xavier and Xavier gave him a nod, Gunvald smiled in reply before standing up. 

"I love you Enid." Gunvald glanced at Enid before turning around and sprinting away.