XLVIII. Battle of the Mind

Third Person's POV

"So what will it be?" Ajax laughed.

- - - - -  

"LET HER GO!" Gunvald charged towards Ajax, he threw a couple of punches but Ajax was dodging all of them easily, "Is this all you got? If I remember it correctly, you were stronger?" Ajax told him as he countered, hitting Gunvald on his stomach which drop Gunvald to his knees. "I lost to you?!" Ajax said sarcastically as he kick Gunvald's face, sending him a few feet from Ajax. 

Gunvald was a bit daze by the kick, he shook it off and stood up, he began tasting iron so he wiped his mouth and he saw there was blood. "Cool, right? Even though we're in your head, you could still feel everything." Ajax started laughing, "Clock's ticking. Are you sure you have time dilly-dallying?" Ajax asked, Gunvald charged again and continued throwing punches at Ajax but nothing was hitting. 

This was the first time Gunvald fought without relying on his yeti powers so he was having a hard time landing a hit but Ajax wasn't. He threw a punch to the right side of Gunvald's face, it hit. Next was a left uppercut and it hit again then a knee to the body which connected strongly, making Gunvald cough up blood. "I really thought that you will be able to put up a fight but it seems I'm wrong." Ajax said as he kicked Gunvald right at his chest which sent him flying. 

"How about this?" Ajax stated as two rapiers appeared from thin air, Gunvald couldn't believe what he just saw, "Based on your face, you're wondering how I just did that. We have a lot of time so let me explain, we're in your mind so anything goes. The one who has a stronger hold can do anything in this domain. I could even kill you with a snap of my finger but where's the fun in that." Ajax kicked one of the rapiers towards Gunvald, "For me, I want the satisfaction of seeing you suffering for not being able to save your father, your mother, and now, your beloved Enid." Ajax chuckled, Gunvald staggered as he stood up using the rapier for support. 

Gunvald's mood changed and Ajax felt it too, Gunvald charged but this time, it was different, he was significantly faster. He was unconsciously harnessing his yeti power and it was all because of his rage. Rage was the strongest emotion that trumps any control within his mind. Gunvald stabbed at Ajax which caught him by surprise and Gunvald managed to graze him. 

As Gunvald's rage continued to grow, the control was returning to him, his hair was slowly turning into white and his eyes getting redder by the second, "How?" Ajax was confused because he was still in control but Gunvald was beginning to manifest his yeti powers. Gunvald continued with a flurry of attacks and Ajax was getting cut all over his body, "This can't be happening." Ajax told himself, Gunvald got close and delivered a strong punch to Ajax's face, dropping him to the ground. 

"This ends now." Gunvald declared, at that moment, Ajax felt fear once again. Gunvald raised his rapier and was ready to deal the finishing blow when a form of Enid conjured right in front of him, "E-Enid?" Gunvald mumbled, but suddenly a rapier came out of her body and pierced him in his stomach. 

"Idiot! I knew you'll fall for something as stupid as that." Ajax pulled out the rapier and blood gushed out of the wound, Gunvald started stumbling and he fell down, grasping the wound in his stomach. 

"I really thought you had me there" Ajax said as he kick Gunvald on his wound, "Don't worry, I will not let you die now. I'll let you watch as Enid die within your grasp before letting you follow her in the afterlife." Ajax walked closer to him and he picked Gunvald up by his neck, "Should I end this a bit quicker?" Ajax smiled as Gunvald's grip on Enid's neck strengthen and Enid's face began to turn purple and her eyes formed tears, she tried clawing her way out but to no avail, "N-no... No..." Gunvald mumbled with blood spewing from his mouth, the manifestation of his consciousness was all beat up and bloodied, "Let me tell you after all of this, I'll enjoy having your body. I promise you I'll kill everyone here in your name so you don't have to worry about leaving your mark." Ajax held Gunvald's head so he couldn't look away as life began to leave Enid's eyes. 

Gunvald's POV

"NO! NO!" I thought, I could feel that I was slowly slipping away since I don't have any strength left, the warm blood gushing out of my body was the complete opposite of what I was feeling, I was ice cold. Even with a blurry vision, I could see the pain and suffering Enid was going through, it was all because I wasn't strong enough, I saw Enid dying before my eyes but I couldn't do anything, "Enid... Please... Please someone save Enid." I thought and all I can hear was Ajax laughing, "That wouldn't do anything." Ajax said. 

"Gunvald..." a voice said, "Gunvald." the voice said again and it seems I'm not the only one who could hear it since Ajax was as confused as I am, "How? Where's that coming from?" he said, "Gunvald!" the voice said louder, "Please save Enid." I blurted, hoping the voice could do something to help, "GUNVALD! I NEVER RAISED YOU TO BE A QUITTER!" the voice exclaimed and everything stopped even Ajax froze on the spot, I recognized the voice, it was my mother.  

Third Person's POV

Gunvald couldn't believe what he heard but he was sure it was her mother's voice, "M-mom?" he called out with his voice wavering, "M-mom, is that you?" he called out again as he tried looking around, not thinking of the pain he was feeling, "My little yeti." Lisa Osborn, Gunvald's mother,  appeared right in front of his eyes and he immediately burst out crying.

"MOM!" he exclaimed as he reached up and hugged her, "I-I thought I'll never see you again." he said as he continued to bawl her eyes out, "Your dad and I are extremely sorry for leaving you." his mom said as he stroked his hair, trying to calm him down, "I just wished I was there. I could have helped." Gunvald said, "It's okay. Your dad and I did what we did because we wanted you to live your life. We knew it was the end for us and we didn't want your life to but cut short." his mom explained, "I just regret that I won't be able to see you grow up and have a family." his mom's voice broke a bit but she managed to calm down. 

Gunvald cried a bit more before managing to calm his self, "How are you here?" Gunvald sniffled, "By any chance, do you remember the necklace with a crystal pendant?" his mom asked, "That necklace holds a fragment of consciousness and it will only activate if you are in an extreme danger and it seems you did since I'm here." his mom continued, "Necklace... Oh! The necklace the Enid gave me. Enid! We need to save her." Gunvald exclaimed, "Don't worry. We have time." his mom put her hand on his shoulder, "Are you okay?" his mom asked, "No... I'm not. I'm not strong enough. I couldn't save you and dad and now, I couldn't even save Enid." he told her, "Don't cut yourself down. You are strong." she kissed her on his forehead. 

"So... This Enid? Is she your girlfriend?" his mom asked which made his pale face blush, "Something like that." he replied, "Seems like a lovely lass." his mom said, "She is. She really is. You would love her." Gunvald smiled, "My little yeti is all grown up already." she muttered as she embraced Gunvald, "You need to save her." she followed, "I... I can't. I'm nothing without my yeti powers." he said, "My little yeti..." his mom smiled, she put her hand on his wound and a bright blue hue enveloped his wound and it disappeared, "W-wha... H-how?" Gunvald was shocked to see his wound closed.

"You are stronger than you realized. You are not only your father's son but also mine. And I am no regular human." his mom smirked at him. 

Author's Note:

This is King AnoniMus. I just want to say thank you to all of you for making it possible for this fanfiction to reach 20k reads. 

I appreciate you all. Let's get it!