Comfort Cuddles

Cole's P.o.v.

I watched the rain fall outside the window. It splattered against the glass. They traced down the glass, mirroring the tears trailing down my face. I turned and sat on my bed. I buried my face in my hands. A soft knock on my door startled me.

"Cole? Can I come in? Nya and Jay are being gross again." Kai's voice called. I stand and open the door. He steps in and I shut the door. He crosses the room and sits on the spare chair next to my bed stand. I walk back to my bed and sit back down. He turns to look at me. I try to control my face, but something still gives me away. 

"You good?" He asks me.

"Y-Yup all good." I try to tell him, but my voice cracks. He gives me a questioning look. I suddenly start crying again. I whimper and bury my face in my hands again. I hear the bed squeak as he sits next to me. His arms wrap around my middle. 

"Ssh, ssh. You're okay."  He whispers. I lean into him. He hugs me tightly. I turn my face toward him. He gently guides my face into his neck. I relax my body into him. "You're okay now." He tells me. When I've calmed down a bit, he pulls away. 

"I'm sorry," I tell him. His hand is slowly tracing circles on my back.

"Don't be," He tells me. "Why were you crying?"I shrug.

"I don't know. I've just been in a sad mood all day." I tell him. He nods. Kai moves a little closer. He pushes some of the hair that had fallen in front of my face back, tucking it behind my ear.

"I know," He starts. "Let's go put on a sad movie. That way, if anyone asks, we can blame it on the movie!" I nod. He leads me to the living room. He puts in a movie and sits down next to me. We start the movie and I lean on him.

Kai's P.o.v.

This was not how I expected to spend my time with Cole. If I'm being honest, I think this is the first time I've ever seen him cry. I feel him lean against me, so I move my hand up and start messing with his hair. I know the mood he's in. Nya's in that mood a lot. I just helped him the way I help Nya. I've gotten quite used to helping people when they're upset. I don't think the others have realized it yet, but it's not just Nya I'll help. I'll help any of them. It's weird, but I feel strangely protective of them. I take a ponytail off my wrist and start putting his hair in a half-up half-down hairstyle. As I work, my mind wanders to my past.

Memory one

"Kai! Kai!" I turn to look, setting aside the weapon I was working on. I spot Nya and her friend, Hana.

"What's wrong?" I ask, seeing the look on their faces. "Nathaniel is being mean!" Nya said. Nathaniel was a playground bully, about a year or two younger than me. Every kid was scared of him.

"How so?" I ask.

"He pushed me off the swing and laughed at us!" Hana nods along. I know she's a little intimidated by me.

"Bring me to him," I say. Nya and Hana start walking back to the playground. We take the shortcut through the woods. I listen to the birds chirping as we walk. Suddenly, Hana says, "There he is!" And Nya points at him. I walk over to him. He turns and sees me coming. A group is forming. I notice a kid on the ground. They're sniffling. It looks like Nathaniel pushed him and he scraped his knee. I see a little blood, but other than that, he's fine. Nathaniel laughs seeing Nya and Hana behind me.

"Aww, are the little babies upset?" He taunts. Nya and Hana scoot closer together. I stay calm and take another step forward. 

"Leave them alone!" I say. By now, all the kids on the playground have formed a group.