Rainy Day Reading

Alright, time for some solid fluff between Zane and (kid) Lloyd. Also, I'm including some headcanons. One, Lloyd likes to read, two, he was constantly nervous around the ninja, but that got better over time, three, Lloyd has never been to a bookstore, and four, Zane was the first person Lloyd was comfortable being around.

Zane's P.o.v.

I stare out the window. Rain was tapping on it in a continuous flow. Adjusting, I stretch my legs out on the couch and return to my book. I smile softly, quickly getting lost in my own world.

Thump!

I glance up from my book and look in the general direction of the sound. I don't see anything. I grab my bookmark and set my book aside. Standing up, I stretch and begin to follow the soft sound of shuffling. I run through a mental list of what it could be. Nya, Cole, and Jay were all out, doing who knows what. Sensei went to some weird teashop a few towns over. It was just me and Lloyd, who is still scared we'll abandon him. And Kai, but he wasn't feeling the best today, and was trying to get better before we had to train again.

I push open the slightly open door to my room and see Lloyd standing on my bed, hands partially reaching out to my shelf.

"Lloyd?" I ask softly, trying not to scare him. He stiffens in surprise, nearly falling off the bed. I move closer and quickly catch him. He pushes away from me and falls onto the bed with a quiet 'Oof!'

"What are you doing?" I ask, looking at the book that had fallen. It must have been what I heard because it was lying open-faced on the ground.

"I was just trying to, uh, get a book," He stutters, dropping his eyes. I hum in acknowledgment.

"What for?"

"I, um, only have one book. I finished it and... and I wanted another one to read,"

I pick up the book and look at it. It's not too damaged, just a little banged up. I put it back on the shelf and sit next to Lloyd. He cowers slightly, turning his face away. I pull him onto my lap and he hides his face in my shirt.

"You could have asked me for help. I would be more than willing to assist you," I say, crossing my arms around him and effectively trapping him. He nods.

"I know. But I thought the others were still here,"

Ah, so that's why he didn't ask. He finds Cole to be intimidating and scary, with his large frame, despite his teddy bear personality. He didn't really mind Jay and spoke to him from time to time, but not as often as he does with me. Kai kinda scares him, with his overprotective and tough guy attitude, but Kai and I are dating, and I think that helps Lloyd trust Kai more. I asked him once why he warmed up to me so fast, and he said 'You're always honest. If I bother you, you would tell me. And you're quiet and nice to me. And I've never heard you yell.' It was nice, knowing he trusted me.

"Zane?"

"Yes, buddy?"

"Do you have some books I can read?"

"Hmm," I look at my books. While Lloyd was an adept reader, and always has his nose in a book, mine were above his level. "No, I do not think I have any that you would enjoy," I say slowly. He nods, seemingly upset.

"Would someone else?"

"Maybe Nya. But she won't be home for a bit."

"Oh,"

He seems sad. I think about where he could get a book. Maybe the library? Parting with books seems to upset him, and I know the feeling. Oh! A bookstore!

"Would you like to go to a bookstore?"

"What's that?"

"It's a place you go to buy books. You can buy as much as you want, and don't have to return them." I explain, watching his face light up.

"Can we? Can we please?"

"Of course. I will grab my money. I should have enough for you to buy a few books." I let go of him and grab my money. He jumps off my lap and runs to grab our shoes. I help him tie his shoelaces. He waits anxiously as I write a note for Kai.

Lloyd and I are heading out. We will be back soon, - Zane.

Lloyd grabs my hand and drags me to the door. I grab an umbrella and we head off.

---Timeskip---

We walk through the doors of the bookstore and Lloyd's eyes widen. He takes in the books and turns to me.

"We can really buy any of these books?"

"Yup," He smiles and grabs my hand, dragging me over to the closest bookshelf. He scans it carefully before pulling off a book and handing it to me.

"The Land of Stories, by Chris Colfer. I have heard many good things about this book," I say, checking the cover.

He smiles brightly. I help him find a few other books. Every now and then, he'd ask me about a book and I'd tell him what I thought. I had to stop him from getting The Hunger Games, considering that's a bit above his current level. He made me promise to let him get it next year.

By the time we were done, we had picked out five books for him, and one for me.

"The Land of Stories, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, The School for Good and Evil, and Wonder." Lloyd reads off, smiling brightly. "And your encyclopedia of birds."

I take his hand and lead him to the checkout. He carries the bag back home, humming the whole way. I smile and try to keep the umbrella over him. When we get back home, he runs to his room. He comes back with a book of his and the book I got. I take his hand and bring him to the living room. As soon as we take a step in, we're met with Kai launching himself at us and trapping us in a hug.

"Where have you been all day? We were worried sick!" Kai nearly shouts, startling Lloyd. He steps slightly closer, trembling slightly.

"We were shopping. For books," I clarify. Kai's gaze softens, and he closes his eyes with a sigh. Leaning his head on my shoulder, he relaxes into my arms.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled. I was just scared. Your note was vague. And it's nearly five. I thought something had happened..." He trails off, holding me tighter. Collecting himself, he pulls away.

"What did you guys buy?"

"I got an encyclopedia about birds," I say, gently prompting Lloyd to speak.

"And what did you get?" Kai asks Lloyd, smiling softly.

"Um, The Land of Stories, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, The School for Good and Evil, and Wonder." He says shyly, showing Kai the book he had picked to read first. Kai looks at him thoughtfully.

"I've read Wonder before. It's an amazing story. I think you'd like it." He says, picking Lloyd up. I sit on the couch and motion for Kai to do the same. Lloyd settles on Kai's lap, still holding the book. I lean back and relax as Lloyd turns to Kai.

"Will... Will you read this to me?" He asks quietly.

"Of course!"

Kai takes the book and opens it to the first page. He starts reading it aloud, drawing a smile on my face. I love listening to Kai's voice. And seeing two people I cherish get along makes me feel so elated. I close my eyes and lean on Kai's shoulder. He wraps an arm around me, and I grab his hand with mine. Something grabs my other, and I open my eyes enough to see Lloyd holding it. I close my eyes again, moving closer to Kai and Lloyd. I love my family.

Okay, two one-shots in a day! I hope this makes up for me being so inactive lately. The opposite shipping in this was an accident, but I love it. Also, ALL BOOKS MENTIONED BELONG TO THEIR RIGHTFUL OWNERS. I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE BOOKS! But all the books are really good and I highly recommend them. Catch you later!