Someday

Welp, time for Kai and Nya angst. I don't know anymore. Just bear with me, please. I guess this is like... hurt/comfort? I don't know, man. I'm tired. 

Kai's P.o.v.

Nya clutches my leg as I survey the shop. Weapons were knocked onto the ground, and designs sketched on paper were scattered around the floor. 

"Kai? Where are Mommy and Daddy?"

"I... don't know," I say slowly. Nya lets out a small gasp and her tears spill over, getting my pants wet. I place my hand on her back. 

"Will we find them?"

"I hope so."

"I don't like hide and seek." She whispers, her voice muffled by my pants.

"Don't worry. Everything will be fine." I say. She takes my hand and I inch forward. I spot a note on the counter. I grab it, thankful I could read and Nya couldn't.

Kai,
If you find this, then we are unable to stay with you. We don't want to leave, but we have no choice. We hate doing this to you. We will be home someday. Until then, remember what we talked about, and please know that we love you and will miss you.
With all our love, Mom and Dad. 

"Kai? What's that?"

"Um..." What do I tell her? She's too young to understand. Mom and Dad warned me that they might have to leave, and I would have to raise Nya. They promised they didn't want to, and made me promise to protect Nya. Now I guess today's that day. "Mom and Dad had to leave."

"Will they be back?"

I hesitate. What do I tell her? Probably not? No? That would crush her. She's only five!

"Uh, yeah."

"When?"

"Someday."

Nya tugs on my sleeve and I pick her up. She hides a yawn in my shirt and I smile softly. I carry her to her bedroom and pull out some pajamas for her to wear. She yawns and reaches for them.

"Here," I move closer and gently unbutton her shirt. She shrugged it off as I grab her top. She pulls it on, fumbling with the buttons.

"Kai..." She whines. I laugh softly and help her. She's so young, she doesn't know how to do much stuff. That's when it hits me. She doesn't even know how to tie her shoes. I have to teach her. And I can't go to school anymore. I can read and write okay, and math is easy and I'm already a few years ahead of my class, but... still. I feel her slump against me. Looking down, I realize she had finished getting dressed and had fallen asleep. I gently scoop her into my arms and tuck her into bed.

"Night night, Nya," I whisper, kissing her forehead. She snuggles her small stuffed animal.

I head back to my room and change into pajamas. Just as I curl up in bed, Nya shows up. 

"Kai? Can I sleep with you tonight?"

"Sure," I move to the side and she climbs in. I hug her and she falls asleep with her head on my shoulder. I close my eyes. Tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow I will drop out of school so Nya can keep going. I'll get the emergency fund and take over the shop. I can earn enough money to support the two of us. Mom and Dad said they have friends that will help us too. I stroke Nya's hair. Someday, Mom and Dad will come home. Someday, the mysterious man they told me about will take us away to teach me my fire that Dad was working on with me. Someday, everything will be fine.

"Someday," I whisper quietly. "Someday,"

I'm tired. It's almost eleven at night when I'm posting this. I don't even know what just happened in this train wreck of a story. After this, I'm getting some much-needed sleep. I'm hoping to post again tomorrow. See you then, I guess. (Also please request!)