Chapter 1: Four Years On

~3rd person POV ~

The sky was a dark gray, lightning lit up the sky, and the sound of thunder was very loud.

Amanda leaned on the glass staring at the dark sky. Her hand was fiddling with the necklace around her neck, she held the fox pendant tugging it lightly.

"What's on your mind"A deep voice asked making her turn.

Zack leaned against the entrance of her office door, he had been there for a while but Amanda was too stuck in a trance to notice his presence.

"it looks like it's going to rain"Amanda commented.

"Indeed it is "he replied.

"The sky—was just as dark and loud that night when we lost him" she commented.

Zack kept quiet for a few seconds.

" Yes," he replied.

"I can't believe it's already been four years since then. I thought that time would heal the wound deep inside but why does it hurt even more now" She asked as tears escaped.

Four years had already passed since Hunter's untimely demise. As Zack and Amanda had agreed, they left the city and moved to New York to start their new lives.

Amanda started working for H and Z as the Managing director after a lot of convincing from Zack. Her health condition was almost back to normal, Zack managed to gather the best doctors he could to treat her heart condition and her abdominal pain had almost subsided.

She had tried to move on from Hunter, she dated a few men over the years but she eventually gave up. they all dumped her using the same excuses.

'You are too clingy'

'You act like I'm forcing myself on you'

'You don't let me have sex with you'

'I can't love a girl who's so overly obsessed with her ex, especially an ex who died a long time ago'

She gave up after a while because she realized no man would ever love her the way Hunter did. Contrary to what the public pictured her relationship with Zack, the two always kept a sister—brother relationship and neither of the two considered dating the other.

As for Zack, he buried himself in work so he couldn't think about Hunter all day, he of course sometimes failed to achieve that and on days like that he would drown himself in alcohol and would go on a killing spree. He hadn't slept with any woman since Luana, he had slowly started laughing and joking around like the old Zack again.

He had still not grieved Hunter's death nor figured out a way to properly cope with the pain. When something good happened to him or when he was sad or angry he would unconsciously call out Hunter's name or dial his number.

To make the both of them feel better they remade Hunter's room, they decorated it exactly like his favorite bedroom in the mansion back in San Francisco. They filled it with all his clothes and everything he loved.

"I see" Zack replied snapping out of his thoughts. He walked closer.

"Do you miss him" she suddenly asked.