Chapter 43:A Baby?

Amanda's POV

I placed a hand on my lower abdomen, rubbing it slowly.

" I'm going to become a mother?"

After the doctor told me I was a few weeks pregnant, I couldn't wrap my head around it. But a few hours later, I visited the gynecologist, and she confirmed it. The sudden realization that there was a baby growing inside me scared me. I had almost jeopardized my own child by taking those painkillers.

To be honest, I was very scared. However, the idea that Hunter and I were going to have a baby together provided some comfort. I started to feel very excited, a reaction completely opposite to that of the baby's father.

Since he heard the news, he hadn't uttered a single word. He just got lost in his thoughts, staring off into space. The doctor discharged me in the morning, so Hunter had gone out to buy me some clothes to wear since what I had originally worn when coming to the hospital was soaked in blood.

Skylar shared in my excitement. She even said she would read up more on pregnancy so she could help me give birth to a healthy baby. On the other hand, Zack picked me up and spun me around when he found out, but that clear excitement disappeared as quickly as it came.

"We're back," Hunter announced as he walked into the room with Zack.

"Oh, that was quick," Skylar commented.

Hunter handed me a paper bag.

"There is a clothing shop close by," he stated.

"I had the car cleaned. I already signed the discharge papers. We can leave whenever you're ready," Zack added.

"Why do I feel like I did something wrong? I'm supposed to be pampered a lot, but instead, the mood is so down that I feel like I'm at a funeral."

"Do you two hate it?" I spoke up.

"Hate what?" Hunter asked.

"The fact that I'm pregnant. Your reaction was the exact opposite of what I expected it to be. You've always expressed how much you wanted to see what a child from both of us would look like. Did you change your mind?" I asked.

He and Zack shared a look.

"I'm sorry, Amanda. As much as this news is a blessing to our family, we can't exactly be happy. There's a loose lunatic lusting over you. He's reckless and doesn't even consider the consequences of his actions. If he finds out you're pregnant, your life and the baby's will be in twice as much danger," Zack explained.

Hunter sat down on the bed next to me. He gently grabbed my hand.

"I'm over the moon happy with the news. My desire to see what our children will look like hasn't changed. I'm excited, and I hope it's a cute girl who looks like you. But I don't want you spending your pregnancy stressing and constantly looking over your shoulder. The doctor said the first few months are very delicate, so I think you should leave this place for a while," he suggested.

"Leave to where?" I questioned.

"To a private island, not the one we left months back. The island is far away. It was owned by Mr. Carver, the man who bought me, so no one knows about it except for me and Zack. We'll go there and lay low until I'm sure you're safe," he explained.

"I think that's actually a good idea, Amanda. Right now, with the way things are going, leaving is the best course of action. That man has already proven he's a total nutcase. He might end up hurting you or the baby," Skylar commented.

"I have no problem with leaving, but you're coming with me, right, Hunter?" I asked.

He paused, then smiled.