13. Tooru and Y/n

I told everyone to return home, because I knew they would have been waiting long for Tooru to get out of the bathroom. It is thirty minutes later that I hear recognizable footsteps going out of the bathroom. I looked up and immediately stood up.

"Y/n-chan?" he asked, unsure of what was happening.

I gave him a small smile that, I hoped, warmed his heart. With all the tears, the sadness and the angriness he had just let out, I thought that maybe my smile, my presence would help things. This is the reason why I stayed, because I knew he would need me.

Without any warning, he wrapped his arms around me, hugging me. I immediately gave it back and we stayed like this for a while.

"I thought you had gone home with the others" he confessed.

"I couldn't let you alone like this"

After a few seconds, he just whispered a 'thank you'.

"You're welcome"

When the hug ended, I looked at him in the eyes with the same smile I gave him when he went out.

"Do you want to walk a little? Maybe it would help you"

"For now, if I'm with you, I'm okay. Will you stay with me?"

I gave him a wider smile.

"Of course"

We walked side by side to the exit and then, we just walked everywhere we could. We didn't have any purpose. If we got lost, we had our phones. But, right now, if that were really what bothered us, then I guess we wouldn't be there. I felt good. Maybe not as good as Tooru felt, since my presence seemed to sooth his fragile heart. It seemed that if I were to go, if we were to separate, he would start crying again. I felt like I was the one preventing the tears from falling. I was glad to think this could be a possibility. But by his words, earlier, I had almost no doubt.

"I know and understand how it feels to not have won against the team you so wanted to defeat" I was the one to break the comfortable silence.

Fortunately, I didn't feel like I was ruining the mood for Tooru.

"I know you understand. I wish I could make our dream come true"

"Well, looks like the roles have been switched"

"What do you mean?" He asked me, turning his head toward me.

I looked at him too and I realized how the sadness had been reflecting on his eyes. How they were red. I looked away.

"Last year, you were the one telling me it wasn't my fault we lost. Today, it's my role. Tooru, listen, I know you feel that, as a third year, and the captain of your team, you have to burden all of your teammates' responsibilities. But it is not true. You burden only your own, but you shouldn't even be burdening anything. I know you will not listen to me, like I never did with you last year, but you shouldn't overwork yourself, because I know your ankle got some problems too."

"How did you...?"

"Hajime, Sao... They told me. But that's not the point. Take this last opportunity to train correctly, and then win against Shiratorizawa one last time and accomplish your dreams of going to the Nationals. It's your last chance. I never had, but I know you can."

He nodded and looked to the ground, his eyes following the movements of his feet.

"Thank you, Y/n-chan"

"You're welcome"

I knew he wouldn't listen to me, but I didn't care, because I tried, at least. Maybe my words would be more significant than overworking his body. I perfectly knew that his was not, last year, but I did have hope.