39. The results

It's been a year today, on November 2nd, that I've had my accident. The regretful and unfortunate accident that got me bound to the not playing volleyball life for an unknown amount of time and that could last until my death. Yeah, the idea that I might never play volleyball ever again broke my heart and my whole soul back then. But today, I have an appointment to the doctor. I really hope it will bring good news, because I feel like I can't stay like this forever. And if ever, luck is on my side, as I thought it was this year, I might have a chance to get my life back to normal and live to see my dream come true.

"You ready?" my uncle calls out to me.

I come back to reality, standing up from the couch, nervous about what's going to happen today and how I'm going to end up at the end of the day : either broken, or as happy as I have never been.

"Yep"

We put on our shoes and light little coats, making the cold of autumn pretty much obvious. We get in the car, after telling Julio we would be back when he's gone to school. I heard him wish me luck and I had enough time to thank him before the door closed on my face, but I still wondered if he heard me. In the last few months, we hadn't been as close as we once were, mostly because I was busy and I guess he was, too. I guess the fact that it was both our last year at the school we were at had an effect on how much we were talking to each other. It had a lot on our shoulders. He's going to be 15 very soon and I'm going to be... 18 and away. I didn't think much of what I was going to do after High School. Since my accident, I didn't have any chance of joining my mother's team. I needed to find something that interested me and it was what I was going to study in University and I was going to become what I learned. But now, today, I have hope, and I hope that that hope will give me the chance to accomplish my long awaited dream. After all, we have to send University applications before the end of the month if we want to get in for the spring term. I'm glad I have an appointment today.

When we finally arrive in front of the hospital, I have to take deep breaths, or I'm pretty sure my heart's gonna willingly disconnect its arteries and veins. I get out of the car after my uncle helped me calm down. We enter the hospital and give our name. We sit in the waiting room not for long, until the doctor who announced me the really bad news last year arrives in the room and greets us with a smile. My uncle politely smiles back, but my nervousness only gives me permission to smile weakly.

"So, Irihata, we're gonna take some exams, first. If you will, please, follow me"

I followed him. I wanted to know the result, but I was scared. The exams were done fast and my uncle and I waited in a room, because I swear, I could pass out any minute.

From Tooru : How is it going? Did you receive the results?

To Tooru : No, not yet, but I'm so nervous, I could faint. I'm really scared.

From Tooru : Don't worry. Whatever happens, I'll be there for you and we're all gonna be there for you.

To Tooru : Thank you. I'll tell you the results when I get to school.

From Tooru : You better! See you later.

I closed my phone and started taking deep breaths to try to calm down my heart. Tooru was the only one I told about my appointment. We had school, today, so I wanted to surprise them by coming back and telling them the good news... if ever there are any. At least, I hope that it's going to go this way. Anyway, I only told Tooru because I needed someone to support me or calm me down or reassure me and the best person to do that was Tooru, so I had no choice.

When, finally, the doctor arrived in the room, he had a professional smile on his face, that didn't give away the results.

"I have good news, Irihata. Your ankle is starting to heal, rapidly as I realized thanks to the results, and you'll be able to start playing volleyball again, but I suggest that you go slowly, to not worsen your case again. That's the only thing that I needed to tell you. You're healing!"