40. 10 days

A little over a month had gone by. I had been playing volleyball every Friday in the last month, but now that we're in December, I have no choice but to be an all-time actor for the play that will be presented in ten days exactly. All last week, we have been rehearsing every evening after school until we were too exhausted to stand or to be concentrated. I had the weekend over from this painful experiment, and I can't dare imagine how it's going to look like at the end of the entire play on the 20th and 21st, but now I'm back to a five-days after-school rehearsal and I'm ready. We've been practicing really hard and we were pretty far into the play and soon, this week, we're gonna practice the entire play every night, trying to be as perfect as we can, so we don't do any mistake on stage in front of I don't know how many people and I don't wanna know. There were only eight rehearsals left and I was becoming a little more nervous day after day.

When I finally arrived in the drama club room, I put my bag at the same place I usually put it and got my text out. I recently starting to use Ren's way of doing things : annotating how I need to say the lines and how I need to move, the things that I need to do. It's been super useful and I've been practicing every morning before going to school, every night before going to sleep and every weekend when I wasn't too exhausted. But in the end, I was always exhausted. But y'all know me, I always overwork myself for nothing. Well, I always want to be perfect...

At least, I wasn't bored. My relationship with Tooru has been improving a lot. We were spending way less time than before together because of the play, but soon enough, I knew we would be able to lose our time together again, as we used to do, surely because winter break is coming too and that Christmas is in 15 days. Anyway, I was still having the same fun with Tooru and the others even though we only had school, for now.

"Are you ready, children? We must end practicing the whole play soon or we'll lose time to practice it all. I ask for the characters' actors that are in the next act to come on the stage."

As usual, Ren, Irana, Ena and I find ourselves on the stage again with a few other actors. We were taking notes as Zali was telling us what to do and what to say and how to say it. We have been learning our text at home so we barely needed it. We only needed to look at how to do everything to make sure we had it right and to engrave it in our minds.

*-*--*-*

The next day, we were practicing one of the most heartbreaking part of the story ; where Ren's character, Nam, learns that my character, Violet, is dying. We both have to cry in this scene and for both of us, it isn't that hard to make it come.

"You're good at fake crying." Ren tells me. "I almost believed you. I can't imagine how the spectators will feel."

"You're good, too, though." I say. "But I'm not surprised, you've been an actor much longer than me."

"You were born with natural talent in everything you do, I'm sure of it."

Something I've heard way too much in my entire life. I tried not to lose my smile. "Thank you."

I walked away, trying to contain my angriness. I didn't wanna make Ren feel bad, we didn't need any lack of communication because of some stupid memory and feeling. I didn't want for the play to be ruined.

I went back on stage, ready to replay this part again, finding Ren already there.

At the end of rehearsal, we were done with the big heartbreaking part. But my death was yet to come. Violet was now on her death bed, Nam by her side, unable to get himself away from her, sleeping his nights his head on his arms resting on the hospital bed. And going through his days walking through the building with food or little trips to the bathroom. Day after day, Violet was getting worse and worse and how this part was written is so painfully hurtful, knowing perfectly it could happen to anyone in real life. I already lost the people I loved right in front of my eyes so I know what I'm talking about. Bena and Kano, Violet's bestfriends, can't even enter the hospital room because of the pain and when they do, at the end of the act... I can't even explain it without deforming Zali's professional and beautiful writing. I wouldn't be able to make it look as beautiful as it looks...